Roseanne reboot...

This topic is 2036 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone remember who Roseanne's sister said she voted for? It wasn't Hillary but another woman.

Jackie said she voted for Jill Stein (Green Party candidate).

There were a couple of laughs, but overall, I found the first two episodes tiring; too many opportunities for going in different directions. I did like seeing the original Becky, though. She hadn't changed much. I like Laurie Metcalf, but her character, Jackie, was way too over the top.

Jackie said she voted for Jill Stein (Green Party candidate).

There were a couple of laughs, but overall, I found the first two episodes tiring; too many opportunities for going in different directions. I did like seeing the original Becky, though. She hadn't changed much. I like Laurie Metcalf, but her character, Jackie, was way too over the top.

Thank-you!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jill_Stein

There were some very good actors on the original series -- Laurie Metcalf, John Goodman, Michael O'Keefe. Roseanne always came across as a brash comedian reading cue cards. That worked well when the banter was just set-ups for punchlines. It made for an awful sitcom when Roseanne was trying to act in a "very special" scene. I've probably watched less than thirty full episodes of the original series -- mostly reruns when I was home during a sick day.

Roseanne's schtick has a lot in common with Trump's; she's always been into audacity for audacity's sake, and if she has a strong opinion she wants people to argue about it with her. There's no way for her to just have an opinion; she has to beat you over the head with her statement, her position on an issue. It's all very calculated for the purpose of getting attention. Whether she actually does support him or not I'm sure Roseanne's and Roseanne Barr's support of Trump is strategic. Time will tell whether she has engineered some subversive irony into her narrative.

I'll pass on the reboot. I don't need another conduit for pop-culture political debate, and I especially don't need Roseanne Barr's take on it.

There were some very good actors on the original series -- Laurie Metcalf, John Goodman, Michael O'Keefe. Roseanne always came across as a brash comedian reading cue cards. That worked well when the banter was just set-ups for punchlines. It made for an awful sitcom when Roseanne was trying to act in a "very special" scene. I've probably watched less than thirty full episodes of the original series -- mostly reruns when I was home during a sick day.

Roseanne's schtick has a lot in common with Trump's; she's always been into audacity for audacity's sake, and if she has a strong opinion she wants people to argue about it with her. There's no way for her to just have an opinion; she has to beat you over the head with her statement, her position on an issue. It's all very calculated for the purpose of getting attention. Whether she actually does support him or not I'm sure Roseanne's and Roseanne Barr's support of Trump is strategic. Time will tell whether she has engineered some subversive irony into her narrative.

I'll pass on the reboot. I don't need another conduit for pop-culture political debate, and I especially don't need Roseanne Barr's take on it.

I think everything she does is calculated, including her support of Trump. I remember when she was married to Tom Arnold and went on talk shows with him where he talked about being sexually abused as a child and she talked about having multiple personality disorder. Then, after she dumped Arnold, she returned to the talks shows to discuss how small his penis is and how lousy sex with him was. She makes the same sexually based, outrageous remarks Trump does to appeal to the base that watches her. As a previous poster remarked, Trump called her the day after the show premiered but it took him a while to call the soldier's widow and then opened his remarks to her with "I hear you're a big fan of mine" or some such. I have a feeling that in "real" life, Barr is probably a decent person - I don't think actors of the caliber of Goodman and Metcalf would put up with her for 5 minutes if she weren't. But she knows exactly what she's doing in her professional life - she knows how to target her audience, she knows how to raise hackles, she knows how to get laughs and she knows how to get rich in the process. I don't plan on watching the show because I just found the first 2 episodes so ponderous and heavy with issues; some of it was funny but she's a terrible actress. She's lucky to be surrounded by a lot of talented pros on the show. As the above poster said, she looks like a comic reading cue cards most of the time.

“As I watched the first two episodes of the “Roseanne” reboot, I thought again about accountability. I laughed, yes, and enjoyed seeing the Conner family back on my screen. My first reaction was that the show was excellent. But I could not set aside what I know of Roseanne Barr and how toxic and dangerous her current public persona is. I could not overlook how the Conner family came together to support Mark as he was bullied at school for his gender presentation, after voting for a president who actively works against the transgender community. They voted for a president who doesn’t think the black life of their granddaughter matters. They act as if love can protect the most vulnerable members of their family from the repercussions of their political choices. It cannot.

This fictional family, and the show’s very real creator, are further normalizing Trump and his warped, harmful political ideologies. There are times when we can consume problematic pop culture, but this is not one of those times. I saw the first two episodes of the “Roseanne” reboot, but that’s all I am going to watch. It’s a small line to draw, but it’s a start.” — Roxanne Gay

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/03/29/opinion/roseanne-reboot-trump.html?rref=collection%2Fcolumn%2Froxane-gay&action=click&contentCollection=opinion&region=stream&module=stream_unit&version=latest&contentPlacement=1&pgtype=collection

Lol it's just a TV show y'all. The reboot has been an unexpected success that will most likely be around for a long time. It particularly did well in the those "fly over" states Trump won & up in the rust belt as well (no surprise there). TV execs definitely noticed, & I have no doubt we'll be seeing more white working class shows + other reboots emerge in the coming years. I personally think it's a good thing that we get to see old classic shows return & that everyone is represented on TV. <3 We all have the option to not watch if we don't like it, which is what I do with like 99.99% of the crap that's out there lol

Also, I fully agree with everything my online crush says in this vid:

I think most of the ratings success of the premiere are due to the curiosity/nostalgia factor, so I don't know what trump's so proud of. I won't be watching because the last five seasons of the original show (out of nine seasons) had devolved into a ridiculous obnoxious and unfunny parody of it's former self. I doubt that a beboot could overcome that situation after the initial curiosity factor wears off. (Although I am curious about Wanda Syke's participation as a writer on the show.) And I'd also be curious whether they can explain the transformation of the Roseanne 'Connor' in this clip to the present day Roseanne 'Connor' trump supporter...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0hmfBtk0WaE

I heard on the radio that it's been renewed for a second season.

Yeah, Ro was tweeting about it earlier, looks like the final viewer numbers were 5 million higher than initially thought also...

wow! Final ratings show that our show beat Stormi Daniels after all!! thank you, peeps!!

just got new figures! show did even better when they counted DVR's! Higher than originally thought-thank you, America! enjoy the jokes and laugh alot!!

omg! the count is 23 Million ppl! OMG-just got the news as my friends gorgeous george & Chaka Khan delivered me a great meal from MELBA's NY! gotta eat!! c ya

After President Donald Trump telephoned her personally to offer his congratulations for her sitcom’s stellar ratings, Roseanne Barr is returning the favor by defending Trump in a series of bizarre tweets posted Friday.

After posting the link to a story that discussed why Trump should thank the actress, the Roseanne star was quick to counter-argue, “The writer is so gracious to me, but I do like the President.”

Barr then proceeded to argue for what Trump has accomplished thus far during his presidency. “President Trump has freed so many children held in bondage to pimps all over this world. Hundreds each month,” the actress tweeted. “He has broken up trafficking rings in high places everywhere. notice that. I disagree on some things, but give him benefit of doubt-4 now.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/roseanne-president-trump-has-freed-children-pimps-all-world-1098812

http://wyblog.us/images/roseanne-barr-crotch-grab.jpg

Roseanne and Drumpf are perfect together. Vulgar.

Edited by Oaktown

After President Donald Trump telephoned her personally to offer his congratulations for her sitcom’s stellar ratings, Roseanne Barr is returning the favor by defending Trump in a series of bizarre tweets posted Friday.

After posting the link to a story that discussed why Trump should thank the actress, the Roseanne star was quick to counter-argue, “The writer is so gracious to me, but I do like the President.”

Barr then proceeded to argue for what Trump has accomplished thus far during his presidency. “President Trump has freed so many children held in bondage to pimps all over this world. Hundreds each month,” the actress tweeted. “He has broken up trafficking rings in high places everywhere. notice that. I disagree on some things, but give him benefit of doubt-4 now.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/roseanne-president-trump-has-freed-children-pimps-all-world-1098812

http://wyblog.us/images/roseanne-barr-crotch-grab.jpg

Roseanne and Drumpf are perfect together. Vulgar.

If it were true that Trump had taken actions that freed hundreds of children every month from being sexually exploited, I assume that would have received widespread media attention by now as it would be an accomplishment that even I would give him credit for, and I hate almost everything he does and says. Instead, what I found online was the usual: fake news from Trump supporters trying to pretend that he is responsible for a dramatic increase in arrests and prosecutions of sex traffickers with more informed websites actually breaking out the facts to reveal that, in fact, many of the arrests Trump has been given credit for are related to operations that began before he took office and the vast majority of the arrests counted were consensual contacts between adults, not examples of human trafficking. But Trump supporters never let facts get in their way.

2 out of 3 ain't bad :)

She's very pro Israel now tho, to the point where she comes off as Islamophobic at times. :confused:

She's also more anti-Clinton than pro-Trump. Some of her comments on Hillary have been a bit OTT, but there's a lot of truth to what she says as well. I fully agree with this particular righteous statement for example:

“Hillary owns the press…people in this country are not allowed to say anything except for that they love Hillary, or they’ll be harassed, especially on social media, until they leave or hang their head in shame…Because if you don’t endorse Hillary, then you’re anti-American, a racist, a sexist, or whatever names her robots throw around.”

As a victim of rabid Clinton loons on social media, I know she's 100% right. They are unbearable, & a lot of them are paid shills & bots.

Ro has always been very progressive when it comes to gay rights, women's rights, economic justice, etc. I won't let one vote erase everything she ever stood for in the past. Try to keep an open mind about her & enjoy the show for what it is... comedy/nostalgia/fun.

In the 90's she wasn't seen as patriotic as now and some of yinz wanted to burn her like a witch after this...

Lol it's just a TV show y'all. The reboot has been an unexpected success that will most likely be around for a long time. It particularly did well in the those "fly over" states Trump won & up in the rust belt as well (no surprise there). TV execs definitely noticed, & I have no doubt we'll be seeing more white working class shows + other reboots emerge in the coming years. I personally think it's a good thing that we get to see old classic shows return & that everyone is represented on TV. <3 We all have the option to not watch if we don't like it, which is what I do with like 99.99% of the crap that's out there lol

Despite everything Archie Bunker was not a terrible person because he was played by a first-rate performer. Few people would characterize Roseanne Barr in the same way.

Archie was intentionally shown to be a fool. Not so with Roseanne.

But, Carroll O'Conner gave Archie some dignity occasionally. The new Roseanne is occupied with reading cue cards instead; she an untalented version of the late-in-life Lucille Ball.

Edited by WilliamM

Add me to the list of those who refuse to watch her show. (Even if I enjoyed the original. Even if I admire some of the actors involved.)

I can't agree with those who say it's "just television" and, so, are willing to give this despicable woman a pass on all the fake news, utter stupidity and naked hate she spews.

Dean Obeidallah mentions some of what she's said in the article below. It should disgust us all.

What 'Roseanne' better worry about

By Dean Obeidallah, CNN, Sunday, April 1

... Trump and Barr have much in common when it comes to spewing bigotry and intolerance. What is surprising is the apparent blind eye turned by the people who have brought us this "rebooted" Roseanne -- a decision that ABC may regret.

Times are different from what they were when Trump got elected. There was no #MeToo movement, no Women's March, no teens leading an awe-inspiring charge against gun violence. The passivity from many voters that allowed Trump to get elected, even as he said terrible things about many Americans, has given way to a new energy and activism.

In today's America, nothing is immune from politics, and it's quite possible that even a series with a successful rollout cannot escape that. Like her eponymous show, Barr's history of bigotry is now in a new spotlight. And many will not tolerate her rhetorical kinship with the President.

To begin: Barr has repeatedly shared inflammatory views about Muslims. One of her retweets equated Islam with Nazism, saying both want "world domination" and the "destruction of all Jews," according to an account last year in the Daily Beast. (Some of the tweets have since been deleted, but screengrabs can be found on several news sites.) Barr has also tweeted about what she calls "Islamic rape pedo culture," and retweeted memes that gin up fear of Muslims.

Like Trump, Barr has also used Twitter to viciously go after those she perceives as enemies, even if the allegations aren't true. For example, Barr tweeted in 2016 that then-Hillary Clinton aide Huma Abedin, who is Muslim and at the time was married to Anthony Weiner, was a "Jew hater," adding, "hillary clinton's handler huma weiner is a filthy nazi whore."

And Barr, like Trump, shares an affinity for the conspiracy-loving Alex Jones -- the man who claimedthat the 2012 Sandy Hook massacre, which left 20 school children dead, was a "hoax." Trump appeared on Jones' show during the 2016 presidential campaign and, according to Roger Stone -- Trump's former political strategist and a campaign adviser -- the two speak on the phone from time to time.

Barr also appeared on Jones'

, and has shared tweets from his Infowars website, including retweeting his claim that "5.7 million illegals" voted in the 2016 presidential election -- her apparent effort to explain why Trump lost the popular vote.

The "Roseanne" star has also been accused of spewing transphobic comments on Twitter. Even Barr's recent responses to charges of such bigotry have a familiar Trump-like ring to them, one Americans have had to get used to over the past 13 months of this presidency. When asked by a reporter for USA today about accusations that she is transphobic or anti-Muslim, Barr responded "it's easy for people to attack." She then added, "I don't care. Just spell my name right."

Truly, Barr and Trump are a couple made in bigotry heaven.

... [but] in an election, people can vote for who they want anonymously -- there is no personal brand you need to think about protecting when you throw the lever in a voting booth. In the corporate world, your decision has a different meaning. Does the network -- which is a part of Disney -- want to be associated with a person with Barr's history? Will Disney shareholders -- will its advertisers -- want it?

It is surprising that the network, which has just renewed Barr's show for a second season, has not voiced concerns over its star's history of hate. Sure, the ratings were great for the show -- Trump's widely publicized call undoubtedly will help. But it is deeply disturbing that ABC has been silent on Barr's views. By either pretending they are not there, or worse, are harmless, the network abets the distortion of American norms of decency; it normalizes them -- as does Trump's praising Barr without any reservations.

In today's America, where activism is on the rise -- Black Lives Matter, immigrant rights, protests against gun violence -- ABC shouldn't be surprised if it sees a boycott of the show, targeting advertisers to take a stand on Barr. Trump and ABC executives may not care about Barr's past views, but I'll bet advertisers will.

Add me to the list of those who refuse to watch her show. (Even if I enjoyed the original. Even if I admire some of the actors involved.)

I can't agree with those who say it's "just television" and, so, are willing to give this despicable woman a pass on all the fake news, utter stupidity and naked hate she spews.

Dean Obeidallah mentions some of what she's said in the article below. It should disgust us all.

What 'Roseanne' better worry about

By Dean Obeidallah, CNN, Sunday, April 1

... Trump and Barr have much in common when it comes to spewing bigotry and intolerance. What is surprising is the apparent blind eye turned by the people who have brought us this "rebooted" Roseanne -- a decision that ABC may regret.

Times are different from what they were when Trump got elected. There was no #MeToo movement, no Women's March, no teens leading an awe-inspiring charge against gun violence. The passivity from many voters that allowed Trump to get elected, even as he said terrible things about many Americans, has given way to a new energy and activism.

In today's America, nothing is immune from politics, and it's quite possible that even a series with a successful rollout cannot escape that. Like her eponymous show, Barr's history of bigotry is now in a new spotlight. And many will not tolerate her rhetorical kinship with the President.

To begin: Barr has repeatedly shared inflammatory views about Muslims. One of her retweets equated Islam with Nazism, saying both want "world domination" and the "destruction of all Jews," according to an account last year in the Daily Beast. (Some of the tweets have since been deleted, but screengrabs can be found on several news sites.) Barr has also tweeted about what she calls "Islamic rape pedo culture," and retweeted memes that gin up fear of Muslims.

Like Trump, Barr has also used Twitter to viciously go after those she perceives as enemies, even if the allegations aren't true. For example, Barr tweeted in 2016 that then-Hillary Clinton aide Huma Abedin, who is Muslim and at the time was married to Anthony Weiner, was a "Jew hater," adding, "hillary clinton's handler huma weiner is a filthy nazi whore."

And Barr, like Trump, shares an affinity for the conspiracy-loving Alex Jones -- the man who claimedthat the 2012 Sandy Hook massacre, which left 20 school children dead, was a "hoax." Trump appeared on Jones' show during the 2016 presidential campaign and, according to Roger Stone -- Trump's former political strategist and a campaign adviser -- the two speak on the phone from time to time.

Barr also appeared on Jones'

, and has shared tweets from his Infowars website, including retweeting his claim that "5.7 million illegals" voted in the 2016 presidential election -- her apparent effort to explain why Trump lost the popular vote.

The "Roseanne" star has also been accused of spewing transphobic comments on Twitter. Even Barr's recent responses to charges of such bigotry have a familiar Trump-like ring to them, one Americans have had to get used to over the past 13 months of this presidency. When asked by a reporter for USA today about accusations that she is transphobic or anti-Muslim, Barr responded "it's easy for people to attack." She then added, "I don't care. Just spell my name right."

Truly, Barr and Trump are a couple made in bigotry heaven.

... [but] in an election, people can vote for who they want anonymously -- there is no personal brand you need to think about protecting when you throw the lever in a voting booth. In the corporate world, your decision has a different meaning. Does the network -- which is a part of Disney -- want to be associated with a person with Barr's history? Will Disney shareholders -- will its advertisers -- want it?

It is surprising that the network, which has just renewed Barr's show for a second season, has not voiced concerns over its star's history of hate. Sure, the ratings were great for the show -- Trump's widely publicized call undoubtedly will help. But it is deeply disturbing that ABC has been silent on Barr's views. By either pretending they are not there, or worse, are harmless, the network abets the distortion of American norms of decency; it normalizes them -- as does Trump's praising Barr without any reservations.

In today's America, where activism is on the rise -- Black Lives Matter, immigrant rights, protests against gun violence -- ABC shouldn't be surprised if it sees a boycott of the show, targeting advertisers to take a stand on Barr. Trump and ABC executives may not care about Barr's past views, but I'll bet advertisers will.

I am sympathetic with this columnist's point of view, but I think Dean Obeidallah is living in fantasy land. There is no clear anti-Trump, anti-bigotry movement in this country that didn't already exist prior to Trump's election. Yes, some people will not watch Roseanne because of who she is, and maybe some of those people will entirely abandon ABC because they are airing the show. On the other hand, there very well may be an equivalent number of people who will turn in precisely because of Roseanne's views, and then a lot of people who will watch the show because they enjoy it and don't really care about Roseanne's political views.

I am sympathetic with this columnist's point of view, but I think Dean Obeidallah is living in fantasy land. There is no clear anti-Trump, anti-bigotry movement in this country that didn't already exist prior to Trump's election.

??? ... Did I misread, or are you paraphrasing what Dean Obeidallah actually said? Because the words I saw were ...

I don't see how any part of that observation constitutes "living in fantasy land."

Sure, some folks may watch the Roseanne reboot because of her bigotry, or because they take pleasure in muddle-headed loudmouths, or because they don't care (or maybe haven't paid attention to) her political views ... or because of better aspects of her show.

But it is no fantasy that others will be disgusted by her and stay away, no fantasy that corporations have grown much more sensitive about their affiliations, no fantasy that consumer boycotts and/or public outcry have influenced stores removing products, networks removing anchors, actors losing jobs, famous assholes being banished to PariahLand.

Edited by Whitman