Roseanne reboot...

This topic is 2036 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Anyone else looking forward to it's return tonight??????? I know I am. Grew up watching the show along with Married w/ Children, Seinfeld, & the Simpsons.

Don't care if Ro wears a Trump hat on the show or not, I'll mostly be watching for nostalgia reasons. She can do whatever the hell she wants. <3

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I choose where to spend my time and dollars. And it’s not with trump supporters. Plus there are far more interesting shows on the internet than watching a reboot of a decade old sitcom

Trump has done more to erode lgbt rights. So you Supporting his supporters erodes your rights. Please take responsibility for your decisions.

I choose where to spend my time and dollars. And it’s not with trump supporters. Plus there are far more interesting shows on the internet than watching a reboot of a decade old sitcom

Trump has done more to erode lgbt rights. So you Supporting his supporters erodes your rights. Please take responsibility for your decisions.

if you saw the show you might have a different impression.

For the most part, I enjoyed the new "Roseanne", but I really think they overloaded the opening episodes with "issues" - effeminate (for lack of a better term) grandson, mixed race granddaughter, Trump supporter versus Hillary supporter, limited health care coverage, surrogacy and bullying. I loved the original show and often admired how some episodes were just very funny depictions of daily life. This new version is just top heavy. Admittedly, some of it was funny but I felt like I had been lectured to by the end of the 2nd episode.

What was a big surprise was the new show that followed "Black-ish" (now THAT'S a great show), with Oliver Hudson and Jenna Fischer. I think it's called "Splitting Up Together" ? It's produced by Ellen de Generes. I thought it was going to be a generic sitcom with wacky grown-ups and sassy kids and it did have elements of that but it was also very subtly moving at moments, made a lot of sense, and its depiction of the relationship between the parents was really incisive. I also found it very well acted. I'm going to be interested to see how it develops because I think it has potential. I'm also looking forward to the new Zach Braff show - I've always found him very charming and a really good comedic actor without the shlocky sitcom mannerisms that often come with episodic shows. He and Neil Flynn sure have found their niches since "Scrubs" as t.v. and movie dads.

I found the show disappointing.

I enjoyed the original. The reboot felt flat. Poorly acted, as if they were just going through the motions. Relying on laughs at old behaviors that are no longer outrageous.

No mention of David's character or why Darlene is alone; the pre-airing hype indicates he'll show up infrequently. A poorly written explanation of Mark's recent death and Becky's reaction.

They even got the couch wrong.... after showing the old sofa in all of the teasers, its a similar item, but not the same one. No big deal, except, dont mislead in promos with a voice over "same sofa."

I'm batting zero on revival predictions. I thought Will & Grace would seem stale and irrelevant, and Im finding it funny and well done. And I had high hopes for a Roseanne reboot, but was disappointed. Sometimes first episodes aren't the best representation of a show.... I'll watch for at least a few more episodes.

The only confusing element in the otherwise very funny debut was the unanswered mystery of the family’s economic stress.

In the final season of the original show, Roseanne won the lottery and the Conners were suddenly very rich. The conceit pretty much wrecked everything that made the prior eight seasons so great, so I stopped watching. But what happened to all that money?

In the reboot debut, I loved the opening bit in bed about Dan being dead, which wittily dispatched the original show having killed off the character. Did I miss something about vanished lottery millions? Did they go away by the end of the 9th season, which I didn’t watch? A mystery.

I really think they overloaded the opening episodes with "issues" - effeminate (for lack of a better term) grandson,

The better term is probably gender fluid. It doesn’t have the negative connotation that comes with ‘effeminate.’

The only confusing element in the otherwise very funny debut was the unanswered mystery of the family’s economic stress.

In the final season of the original show, Roseanne won the lottery and the Conners were suddenly very rich. The conceit pretty much wrecked everything that made the prior eight seasons so great, so I stopped watching. But what happened to all that money?

In the reboot debut, I loved the opening bit in bed about Dan being dead, which wittily dispatched the original show having killed off the character. Did I miss something about vanished lottery millions? Did they go away by the end of the 9th season, which I didn’t watch? A mystery.

In the original finale.... they're back in the un-updated home. Roseanne, in her basement writing-room, reveals shes been writing about them.

• Becky really married David, Darlene really married Mark
  • Dan died
  • They didnt win the lottery.... it was an author's device.

So, I guess they needed to deal with Dan being alive. They're apparently not going to address the revelation Darlene married Mark, not David.

Its inconsistent... but its TV fiction. Bobby Ewing returned from the dead, many things on LOST were never explained, etc. Audiences will accept most any plotlines ... if the entertainment value is present.

Thought I recognized Darlene’s daughter. She Debs from Shameless on Showtime.

Thank-you! She looked familiar but I just could not place her.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I only remember three children - two daughters and a son.

But there is a fourth child- Jerry?

Edited by Avalon

I enjoyed the premiere, & it seems like I wasn't the only one, it sc over 18 million viewers :O

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/tv-ratings-roseanne-revival-skyrockets-stunning-premiere-1097943

I don't see how it doesn't get picked up for another full season at least after this, even if the numbers go down to like 10-12 million next week. Already is a huge hit <3

Read some of her tweets. Anti Israel. Anti Hillary. Pro trump. She is not someone I want to support

2 out of 3 ain't bad :)

She's very pro Israel now tho, to the point where she comes off as Islamophobic at times. :confused:

She's also more anti-Clinton than pro-Trump. Some of her comments on Hillary have been a bit OTT, but there's a lot of truth to what she says as well. I fully agree with this particular righteous statement for example:

“Hillary owns the press…people in this country are not allowed to say anything except for that they love Hillary, or they’ll be harassed, especially on social media, until they leave or hang their head in shame…Because if you don’t endorse Hillary, then you’re anti-American, a racist, a sexist, or whatever names her robots throw around.”

As a victim of rabid Clinton loons on social media, I know she's 100% right. They are unbearable, & a lot of them are paid shills & bots.

Ro has always been very progressive when it comes to gay rights, women's rights, economic justice, etc. I won't let one vote erase everything she ever stood for in the past. Try to keep an open mind about her & enjoy the show for what it is... comedy/nostalgia/fun.

https://www.goodhousekeeping.com/life/entertainment/a19621697/who-is-jerry-on-roseanne/

I had forgotten about Jerry.

I don't mind the politics; reminds me of Archie Bunker and Meathead. ;-)))

Interesting the show has both Beckys.

I'm happy to find out that Roseanne is pro Israel.

Regarding Mark painting his nails and wearing girl's clothing - that's how Jude began on "The Fosters" and he is now just your everyday run-of-the-mill ordinary homosexual.

Edited by Avalon

2 out of 3 ain't bad :)

She's very pro Israel now tho, to the point where she comes off as Islamophobic at times. :confused:

She's also more anti-Clinton than pro-Trump. Some of her comments on Hillary have been a bit OTT, but there's a lot of truth to what she says as well. I fully agree with this particular righteous statement for example:

“Hillary owns the press…people in this country are not allowed to say anything except for that they love Hillary, or they’ll be harassed, especially on social media, until they leave or hang their head in shame…Because if you don’t endorse Hillary, then you’re anti-American, a racist, a sexist, or whatever names her robots throw around.”

As a victim of rabid Clinton loons on social media, I know she's 100% right. They are unbearable, & a lot of them are paid shills & bots.

Ro has always been very progressive when it comes to gay rights, women's rights, economic justice, etc. I won't let one vote erase everything she ever stood for in the past. Try to keep an open mind about her & enjoy the show for what it is... comedy/nostalgia/fun.

Just substitute Donald's name for Hillary's and the argument is still valid. Sadly, that's what our country has devolved into. Not only real people attacking each other versus arguing about ideas, but made-up-people attacking others based on personality, not ideas.

Back to Roseanne, I have recorded but not watched it yet. Since it seems like a lot of people found it funny and it at least takes jabs all across the board, I am looking forward to watching it.

It was funny. Darlene, old Becky and esp Jackie were spot on. I even want to like Roseanne. I did in the old days, but reading that Trump called her and congratulated her on the show's ratings totally queers the deal for me. If that idiot is going to take the show's success as an endorsement of his dangerous and embarrassing farce of a presidency, then I'm out. I don't need yet another reminder that this is how "real" America feels and that it's ok to disagree. Watched Barr on Kimmel and she made some reference to Hillary as a "murderer"... should have known right there. As ignorant as Trump and that's saying something. She's never really been anything but white trash with money, so I guess, this isn't much of a surprise. To quote Jackie, "Hello, Deplorable!"...... I'm really only ok with shows that totally embrace Hollywood's liberal agenda. Ain't that America?

Ok, I might come back, if they get Stormy Daniels to guest star... but only after he is deposed! "I did not get spanked by that woman!!"