Roseanne reboot...

This topic is 2036 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

But, Carroll O'Conner gave Archie some dignity occasionally. The new Roseanne is occupied with read cue cards instead; she an untalented version of the late-in-life Lucille Ball.

In a recent interview with Rob Reiner, he said that unlike Archie Bunker Carroll O'Conner was even more leftist than Reiner in his real life.

It is very difficult for me to make up my mind about the Reboot. As has already been discussed, the deluge of themes do tend left on many occasions and I suppose everyone will have to wait until things have calmed down to seem it it turns one way or another. There was no doubt, even if its main character was a rightwing buffoon, what kind of depiction Norman Lear wanted for the show.

Also, as already mentioned it has to be considered that Wanda Sykes is involved in writing a portion of it. Also, Sara Gilbert, out and proud lesbian, was the person who suggested bringing the show back to television and is an executive producer.

From the episodes I saw there were enough funny lines to keep me interested. I am not sure if it will last. And if Rosanne's political philosophy becomes much preachier in the hopes of converting I will definitely boycott the show.

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

??? ... Did I misread, or are you paraphrasing what Dean Obeidallah actually said? Because the words I saw were ...

I don't see how any part of that observation constitutes "living in fantasy land."

Sure, some folks may watch the Roseanne reboot because of her bigotry, or because they take pleasure in muddle-headed loudmouths, or because they don't care (or maybe haven't paid attention to) her political views ... or because of better aspects of her show.

But it is no fantasy that others will be disgusted by her and stay away, no fantasy that corporations have grown much more sensitive about their affiliations, no fantasy that consumer boycotts and/or public outcry have influenced stores removing products, networks removing anchors, actors losing jobs, famous assholes being banished to PariahLand.

Women's marches predate Trump's election. So do student protests and consumer boycotts. Some of those actions/protests resulted in changes in businesses' practices, others not so much. It's the same today. I suppose if you want to be specific, the #MeToo phenomenon is new, but it isn't like no one had previously disclosed sexual harassment or assault.

What I meant by fantasy land is that the author seems to think we have passed the tipping point where there are so many people who are saying "enough is enough" to issues like gun violence, sexual violence, and general prejudice that, from a business perspective, it's toxic to associate with people like Trump or Roseanne Barr. When I wrote I was sympathetic with that point of view, what I meant was that I wished I had the same pair of rose colored glasses. I simply do not think that the hearts and minds of that many people have changed over the past 18 months.

Add me to the list of those who refuse to watch her show. (Even if I enjoyed the original. Even if I admire some of the actors involved.)

I can't agree with those who say it's "just television" and, so, are willing to give this despicable woman a pass on all the fake news, utter stupidity and naked hate she spews.

I’m not yet sure an still go back and forth on this. I would think Wanda Sykes, Sara Gilbert and Whitney Cummings, who is co-showrunner, would not allow empty-handed propaganda to define their show — and it is as much their show as it is the bigoted star’s. We’ll see.

I’m not yet sure and still go back and forth on this. I would think Wanda Sykes, Sara Gilbert and Whitney Cummings, who is co-showrunner, would not allow empty-handed propaganda to define their show ...

@Kenny, I think you're comment focuses on creative control of the show, and I agree that the show will never (for example) refer to Huma Abedin as either a "Jew hater" or "a filthy nazi whore." I'm sure the show won't equate Islam with Nazism, nor make the deranged claim that Trump is freeing hundreds of children every month from sexual exploitation.

But the person for whom the show is named, the person around whom it is built, has said those things. Let's see if ABC, or the show's advertisers, or her colleagues can exercise any control over her. Or if the Great Big Platform of a hit show means we should expect a steady flow of unchecked crazy talk and hate speech from its star (as from her hero, Trump).

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/tv-ratings-roseanne-still-strong-pulls-152-million-week-2-1099563

The show continues to be a ratings hit, only dropped down to just over 15 million viewers last night. I'm sure those numbers will once again grow when time-shifting views get added in.

I personally didn't enjoy this last episode as much as the first two. Not a fan of Roseanne bullying her granddaughter like that.

Whatever Roseanne Barr says when she's off her meds on Twitter has very little effect on me in terms of how I view the show itself. My favorite musical artist has been saying OTT shit his entire career, especially in recent years, & I'm still able to enjoy his music the same now as I did back when I was a teen. People like that CNN goon from the article posted above need to chill. There are more important things in life than worrying about what crazy celebrities say on Twitter.

I agree I just did not enjoy the show as much the third time around. I'm beginning to think that perhaps I just don't enjoy the humor as I did. It is not her fault. Much more enjoy the subtleties of High Maintenance than some of the one liners put out in shows like Rosanne. Also I think the fact there is so much discussion of how popular Rosanne is and how much she and Trump love each other it is making me mad. Who the fuck Rosanne made Rosanne what she is? Does she realize that? Gay people did. And we are not exactly being treated all that well under Monsieur Trump. Does she realize how her grandson would be treated if things go the way this administration would like them to. Would she take her ass to the White House and shame the administration to change like she did when she went to her grandson's school in the first (?or second) episode. She better think long and hard about that.

An excellent article, thoughtful in a way that Roseanne Barr (now a card-carrying Fake Newser) is not, thought-through in a way that the rebooted Roseanne Conner character is not.

I thought this article articulated pretty well my thoughts on what's wrong with the re-boot...

https://www.esquire.com/entertainment/tv/a19635281/roseanne-reboot-2018-review/

An excellent article, thoughtful in a way that Roseanne Barr (now a card-carrying Fake Newser) is not, thought-through in a way that the rebooted Roseanne Conner character is not.

I like how they theorized how if anyone would be a trump voter it would be Jackie. In the original show, it always bugged me how they dumbed Jackie down over the years. That's even more glaring (and pathetic) twenty years later. In this re-boot, their take is that the dumb one is the non-trump voter. (The writers couldn't even throw Hillary a fictional vote - dumb old lovable Jackie got so flustered at the booth she voted for Jill Stein.) They offered no POV from Dan (or anyone else), either.

• 2 weeks later...

I watched the third episode and didn't laugh once. The show feels so 'written' - every line is a zinger. Every line sounds Whitney Cummings-esque. And the acting is abysmal across the board, including John Goodman and the hallowed Laurie Metcalf. Now that I know they've brought back the annoying Estelle Parsons, I'm done.

I watched the third episode and didn't laugh once. The show feels so 'written' - every line is a zinger. Every line sounds Whitney Cummings-esque. And the acting is abysmal across the board, including John Goodman and the hallowed Laurie Metcalf. Now that I know they've brought back the annoying Estelle Parsons, I'm done.

The third episode was the worst so far. I didn't even feel like the lines that were written were zingers. It was just a whiny dramedy where it was obvious the setup was going to be to make the teen character so despicable that the audience will actually support Roseanne's physical abuse towards her. Not funny but definitely offensive to me. I actually have liked the other episodes so far even though it's obvious that the reboot is trying way too hard to tackle "issues."

• 2 weeks later...

On the show the character that Laurie Metcalf plays said that she was 60yo. Actually the actress is 62yo. I would not have guessed that; she doesn't look it. She also plays adult Sheldon's mother.

I did not think that county homes existed any more.

I thought the first birdhouse that Mark made was ugly!

Both Leonardo and Michelangelo were gay yet they created beautiful works of art!

Im watching it. I guess thats what matters to sponsors and the network.

Im ok with the plots, the writing. I dont care about the politics... these days, thats just another device media and personalities use to grab attention.

But I cant help thinking... the acting really stinks.

I occassionally see the original series in reruns during the day. By comparison, the 2018 performances by the same actors seem wooden. Lazy. Rote.

I'm sure its my inference, but I can't help thinking there's an attitude rather than effort by the actors... some form of "we're big names now, so we're just going through the motions."

My reaction was enhanced by the recent reappearance of Estelle Parsons. Its not that I love her character, or even believe her performance is sensational. But compared to the others... her performance feels consistent with the original character.

For me, I'm finding the automaton delivery by Roseanne, John Goodman, Laurie Metcalfe, and Sara Gilbert distracting.... and Lecy Goranson cringe-inducing.

If this was a new series rather than a reboot... I think I'd have tuned out by now.