Perth to London Direct Flight

purplekow
This topic is 2051 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My flying when working was always with American Airlines. So I have stuck mostly with Ft.Lauderdale/Miami to Dallas to Hong Kong on American then Cathay to Bangkok. Sometimes Dallas to Tokyo has some great fares then Japan Airlines to Bkk.

I did a couple Phl to Doha to Bkk on Qatar. Great flights . Little shorter than going west. Little more expensive.

Had a ton of miles from work travel so have always done first or business. This past December Cathay had a sale on Premium Economy. I gave it a try and was very happy. Seats are the same as domestic first class. This was Boston to Hkg to Bkk. Still living in Ft.Lauderdale I need positioning flight for long haul.

I don’t require much service. Have a book and movies, a bottle of water. You can leave me alone. PE was great for this.

I’ll be back to US end of April. Bkk-Hkg-Bos-Fll. I’m originally from Boston and have family there. I have started using this as Asia gateway. Lots of new flights have brought Asian prices way down.

British Airways has just started selling seats to Asia going East. From Boston/NYC can make trip under 18 hours. A little searching you can find some great deals.

If one has time, is it possible to go to Australia from the US by ship? Maybe from Honolulu to Sydney?

There are ways of doing it, but they are not easy and not cheap. There are cruise ships that do it as part of grand cruises, and there are cargo ships that offer cabins. It may be easier to go the other way. It's relatively easy to travel overland from the UK to southeast Asia (through South Asia or through Russia, China and Vietnam, and to travel by ferry through Indonesia. The last gap is not easy, from Timor to Australia. There was a time in the 90s when PELNI (the Indonesian state ferry company) went to Darwin but Timor ended that. [it's a short flight from Bali, Kupang or Timor Leste to Australia though.]

@trav05 I've only used Qantas PE, and it's ages since I've flown domestic US AA first, but I agree PE is great. I've chatted with AA flyers who use CX and JA to fly to Asia. I have looked for flights to the US from Australia and CX PE has been a good deal, even when I've looked at including connecting flights on domestic carriers at both ends (rather than buying those separately). It's years since I have flown CX, but I've chatted about them and I remember them as being great.

If one has time, is it possible to go to Australia from the US by ship? Maybe from Honolulu to Sydney?

I looked into it at one point and all I found was an 18 day cruise from Honolulu to Australia and NZ. And you didn't spend all that much time in port so it seemed like it was more of a big cruise than actually getting to spend time in Australia. I thought about it, but I've never actually taken a cruise so wasn't willing to commit to it.

Yes. I have a friend who sailed (with just his girl friend) in a relatively small boat from California to New Zealand, Australia and Thailand. They stopped often to see the countries in detail. So the entire trip was 7 years. They sold the boat in Thailand because his dad was very sick.

Edited by WilliamM

My longest flights have been only U.S. coast-to-coast. I'm probably the most nervous flier ever. I begin to tremble from the time I purchase the ticket.

I sympathize with you. I used to be that way, in fact I used to prepare my personal life as if I wasn't going to return home. I would say goodbye to family and friends, and make arrangements for friends to adopt my dog in case I didn't return. It was horrible. It took awhile, but I slowly got over it. Flying now is an absolute joy. It should be noted that there are therapist that deal with this exact kind of fear. If you do a lot of flying, it might be worth looking into...

Edited by bigvalboy

I have a rule, more than 4 hrs business class.

Regularly do Sydney to Europe, prefer to fly in the am from Sydney, overnight in Singapore, then 9am out of Singapore to normally London , arriving at midnight Singapore time but 4pm in the UK, sleep on Uk time ready to go next morning.

Coming home it's a late night departure from London or Frankfurt, late afternoon into Singapore, overnight, and a 7am flight home the next morning, arrival into Sydney about 8pm local time. Again sleep on local time ready to go next morning.

even in Singapre Business I don't normally sleep so that works best for me.

Won't be doing the non stop with a 4am arrival into London.

Hate to admit it, found this on Joe.My.God's blog.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/mar/25/first-non-stop-flight-australia-britain-lands-17-hours-qantas

... And a review of premium economy on the flight...

https://www.ausbt.com.au/review-qantas-boeing-787-9-dreamliner-perth-london-premium-economy

Edited by mike carey

• 6 months later...

It very well could take you longer to read this story than it would to ride on the world’s shortest scheduled passenger flight.

Loganair, a Scottish regional airline, holds that title thanks to its itinerary between Westray and Papa Westray, two of the Orkney Islands located north of Great Britain. The flight, which travels 1.7 miles, lasts only 1.5 minutes in the air. The cost of a ticket starts at 17 pounds (roughly $22).

That’s a blip compared to the world’s longest flight, which just re-entered service last week. The New York-Singapore route flown by Singapore Airlines takes nearly 18 hours— some 1,080 times longer than the Loganair flight, give or take a minute. Tickets were selling for $2,147 and up on the Singapore Airlines website this week.

The Westray-Papa Westray route isn’t the only short flight that Loganair offers. The journey between Eday and Kirkwall, another two of the Orkney Islands, takes a staggering 10 minutes to complete.

Looking to take a short trip closer to home? Last year, United Airlines launched theshortest flight in the continental US, a 16-minute trip between San Francisco and Santa Rosa, located in the Sonoma County wine region. (Sightseeing flight operator Greater Toronto Airways boasts the shortest flight in North America, a 10-minute route between Toronto and Niagara.)

In Hawaii, travelers can take a 15-minute flight between the Kalaupapa and Ho’olehua airports on Moloka’i for as little as $50 on Mokulele Airlines.

Of course, flying is particularly bad for the environment — aircraft are responsible for 2.5% of total global carbon dioxide emissions. So travelers concerned about their carbon footprint may want to consider other means of travel — for instance, a 25-minute car ferry also runs between Westray and Papa Westray.