Weight loss

Stormy
This topic is 2244 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Thanks for all the tips. I have a small goal (in my eyes) but a larger goal of actually getting in shape (which I started). I got a trainer. As I told him, it is more just for having someone waiting for me so that I have to go (particularly if it is a handsome, really hardbodied trainer - well, I did not tell him that part.) My greatest obstacle (this is a lie I know) is being Italian for which giving up pasta and bread is like spitting on the Italian flag. But I actually do not mind whole wheat pasta, particularly if you make your own sauce where you control the sugar, etc. I also love potatoes but perhaps I can eschew them as an anti-Irish thing. ;) I have never eaten sugary stuff and always have some sort of fruit with every meal just to fill up. Another goal is to drink a lot more water.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for all the tips. I have a small goal (in my eyes) but a larger goal of actually getting in shape (which I started). I got a trainer. As I told him, it is more just for having someone waiting for me so that I have to go (particularly if it is a handsome, really hardbodied trainer - well, I did not tell him that part.) My greatest obstacle (this is a lie I know) is being Italian for which giving up pasta and bread is like spitting on the Italian flag. But I actually do not mind whole wheat pasta, particularly if you make your own sauce where you control the sugar, etc. I also love potatoes but perhaps I can eschew them as an anti-Irish thing. ;) I have never eaten sugary stuff and always have some sort of fruit with every meal just to fill up. Another goal is to drink a lot more water.

Barilla Protein Plus.

Dpiral

Spiralized zucchini instead of pasta is actually good, cauliflower mashed ain't bad.

My go to masseur is also a personal trainer, but I havent taken him up on it, yet. I've seen him naked I wouldn't be able to concentrate on exercise. Haha. He offers a special on personal training then a massage and shower. Grrrrrr

This sums up so much. My life spun out of control when my partner died 20 years ago and I gained 80 pounds. I spent years mired in mindless eating until I took control back a little over 10 years ago. It took about a year of actual dieting and counting every calorie to get back to "normal," but I have kept it off through mindful eating and figuring out what works for me. That's going to be different things for different people.

What works for me is:

1. Nothing is off limits. The minute I tell myself I will never eat another french fry is the minute I will start obsessing about them. I have a cheat day each week where I don't go crazy but I will eat those damn french fries if that's what I've been craving. The rest of the week is mindful and always having a general idea about the amount of calories consumed.

2. I developed a "good enough" philosophy when it comes to food. Fried chicken is delicious but a roasted chicken breast is good enough. A baked potato with all the fixings is delicious, but a baked potato with a little butter and a little sour cream and a lot of pepper is good enough. A big rich dessert is delicious, but a square of dark chocolate slowly melting in your mouth is good enough. Etc, etc.

3. This is counter to what a lot of people suggest when dieting, and may be more appropriate in a maintenance phase, but I weigh myself every single day. I know my body and I know that my weight will fluctuate a couple pounds up or down, but I know that anything more than that means I am being too lax and I nip that in the bud. A couple days of being extra mindful about what I'm eating will get me back on point.

Mikey and I are clones on this issue! I am the same way about having food that's off limits; I gained a lot of weight when I got into that mentality. I'm also the same way about finding a "good enough" option--a "grilled cheese" sandwich with a small high fiber English muffin and some light margarine spray will satisfy me and keep me full longer.

Mikey and I are clones on this issue! I am the same way about having food that's off limits; I gained a lot of weight when I got into that mentality. I'm also the same way about finding a "good enough" option--a "grilled cheese" sandwich with a small high fiber English muffin and some light margarine spray will satisfy me and keep me full longer.

I wish I could tell how this happened, because I'm not sure. I eat anything I want, but the corollary to that is that I have no desire to eat things that are bad for me. Trust me, I wasn't always this way.

some light margarine spray

I love that stuff!

I have a young friend who is extremely fit and EXTREMELY disciplined about his diet. (With a beautiful lean body that is a testament to his hard work.) He spends a fortune on organic food and cringes every time he sees me use that butter spray or artificial sweetener. :eek:

I keep telling him that I can't boil the ocean. I can manage the calories and do a decent job on sodium, but I can't take on the war against chemical substitutes on top of that. In the end, something is going to kill me and I'll take my chances with the chemicals over weight-related illness. :)

I keep telling him that I can't boil the ocean. I can manage the calories and do a decent job on sodium, but I can't take on the war against chemical substitutes on top of that. In the end, something is going to kill me and I'll take my chances with the chemicals over weight-related illness. :)

Don't be surprised to find that making some initial changes energizes you to make others.

Dpiral

Spiralized zucchini instead of pasta is actually good, cauliflower mashed ain't bad.

My go to masseur is also a personal trainer, but I havent taken him up on it, yet. I've seen him naked I wouldn't be able to concentrate on exercise. Haha. He offers a special on personal training then a massage and shower. Grrrrrr

Is the "special" something that we think of on this site or is it a special meaning just the training, a regular massage, and shower (I assume you can shower by yourself). I do not think that I could extend my training past that because I would be too tempted to make it "special."

Is the "special" something that we think of on this site or is it a special meaning just the training, a regular massage, and shower (I assume you can shower by yourself). I do not think that I could extend my training past that because I would be too tempted to make it "special."

Special as in rate reduction for training with massage after, and yes shower with extras, I've never felt so pampered.

...margarine spray...

...cringes every time he sees me use that butter spray or artificial sweetener...

OK, I'm not directing these comments at you two personally, we all get to make our own choices, but this thread is soliciting tips, so I wanted to provide my understanding of some of the context why someone might cringe at these things.

True margarine is full of trans-fats and has turned out to be far, far worse for people than the butter it was touted as a 'healthier' replacement for. Faced with choice between margarine or butter, my understanding is the consensus now is people would be better off using butter and as an alternative, there are olive oil sprays available.

Regarding artificial sweeteners, an uncannily similar process seems to be playing out. Initially promoted as a 'healthier' alternative to processed sugar, they are now, in study after study, being implicated in altering the microbiome of the human GI system to the overall detriment of the human.

And that's just the (mostly) physiological impact. Moving on to the psychological impact, these kind of swap-outs can be implicated in an issue some people manifest in which 'sacrificing' leads to overcompensation. A slightly exaggerated example is ordering large fries because one chose the diet soda.

As I think we all know, body composition management is an incredibly complicated subject. Each of us has to do our own due diligence and make informed choice about what is right and works for us. I like threads like this, where everyone can pitch in with what has worked for them so others can go through to see what fits for them. No one thing is going to work for everyone. I am loving IF, it just felt right and I took to it like fish to water, but I know there are many people for whom it feels insane and intolerable, so I could never pretend it's for everyone.

If you become concerned that your nutritional needs are suffering during weight loss just remember that semen has over 200 separate proteins, as well as vitamins and minerals including vitamin C, calcium, chlorine, citric acid, fructose, lactic acid, magnesium, nitrogen, phosphorus, potassium, sodium, vitamin B12, and zinc . I suggest one dose per day.

OK, I'm not directing these comments at you two personally, we all get to make our own choices, but this thread is soliciting tips, so I wanted to provide my understanding of some of the context why someone might cringe at these things.

True margarine is full of trans-fats and has turned out to be far, far worse for people than the butter it was touted as a 'healthier' replacement for. Faced with choice between margarine or butter, my understanding is the consensus now is people would be better off using butter and as an alternative, there are olive oil sprays available.

Regarding artificial sweeteners, an uncannily similar process seems to be playing out. Initially promoted as a 'healthier' alternative to processed sugar, they are now, in study after study, being implicated in altering the microbiome of the human GI system to the overall detriment of the human.

And that's just the (mostly) physiological impact. Moving on to the psychological impact, these kind of swap-outs can be implicated in an issue some people manifest in which 'sacrificing' leads to overcompensation. A slightly exaggerated example is ordering large fries because one chose the diet soda.

As I think we all know, body composition management is an incredibly complicated subject. Each of us has to do our own due diligence and make informed choice about what is right and works for us. I like threads like this, where everyone can pitch in with what has worked for them so others can go through to see what fits for them. No one thing is going to work for everyone. I am loving IF, it just felt right and I took to it like fish to water, but I know there are many people for whom it feels insane and intolerable, so I could never pretend it's for everyone.

Thanks. I'll try the olive oil spray. The margarine spray wasn't meant to be healthier. It's just easier to use small amounts of it than it is for butter.

You make a good point about the effect of artificial sweeteners on the body, but isn't several hundred calories of sugar just as harmful?

You make a good point about the effect of artificial sweeteners on the body, but isn't several hundred calories of sugar just as harmful?

It's sort of an oblique application of Occam's Razor, simplest answer is best. Sugar has a known number of kJ, known effect over time on blood glucose levels and known effects on things like teeth. Artificial sweeteners were seen as an uncomplicated way of replacing the sweetness in foods and beverages but it is turning out that their effects aren't as uncomplicated as we first thought. IIRC along with other things already mentioned they mask the satiation reaction we have to eating and drinking. We'd be better off weening ourselves from our collective sweet tooth rather than finding ways to remove the energy content from sweet foods. Or accepting that sweet foods contain kJ and eat accordingly. Easier said than done, I know, but looking for a magical method of removing energy from food has brought unintended consequences. In any case, the main sugar problem isn't from eating sweet foods that our great grandparents would recognise it's from the sugars added to foods that they would not. Corn syrup/fructose added to drinks (in addition to empty kJ, it has different physiological effects to sucrose or glucose), low fat products that have sugar added to make them more palatable (IIRC low fat yogurt with its sugar has more kJ/g than regular fat yogurt).

(Sorry, got to the end of writing that and realised I'd used kilojoules (kJ) rather than calories for the energy content of food.)

I actually use stevia. I'm not sure where that falls in this spectrum, but I like my coffee sweet and that isn't going to change. So for me, I am convinced it is a better option than sugar. My super-fit friend will actually use raw sugar because he knows he's going to burn about a zillion calories at the gym everyday. Lol

I have had great luck with carb cycling and tracking my calories using My fitness Pal app. Carb cycling allows you to have high and low carb days during the week. High days you can indulge a bit more and restore energy and then you have your low carb days to help burn more fat. It works well for me as I schedule my big workouts on my high carb days.

I’ve tried many diets, but regardless of what you do, like others have said, it all comes back to one constant, and that’s CONSISTENCY. Follow the plan 110% and give it a minimum of 6-8 weeks and you will be amazed at what your body can do.

Best of luck!

Thanks. I'll try the olive oil spray. The margarine spray wasn't meant to be healthier. It's just easier to use small amounts of it than it is for butter.

It's sort of an oblique application of Occam's Razor, simplest answer is best. Sugar has a known number of kJ, known effect over time on blood glucose levels and known effects on things like teeth. Artificial sweeteners were seen as an uncomplicated way of replacing the sweetness in foods and beverages but it is turning out that their effects aren't as uncomplicated as we first thought. IIRC along with other things already mentioned they mask the satiation reaction we have to eating and drinking. We'd be better off weening ourselves from our collective sweet tooth rather than finding ways to remove the energy content from sweet foods. Or accepting that sweet foods contain kJ and eat accordingly. Easier said than done, I know, but looking for a magical method of removing energy from food has brought unintended consequences. In any case, the main sugar problem isn't from eating sweet foods that our great grandparents would recognise it's from the sugars added to foods that they would not. Corn syrup/fructose added to drinks (in addition to empty kJ, it has different physiological effects to sucrose or glucose), low fat products that have sugar added to make them more palatable (IIRC low fat yogurt with its sugar has more kJ/g than regular fat yogurt).

(Sorry, got to the end of writing that and realised I'd used kilojoules (kJ) rather than calories for the energy content of food.)

@mike carey says it much better than I could have.

DEAR ABBY: I have been trying to get healthy for years and recently lost a lot of weight. Every job I have, I work with grossly obese women. At my present job, one of them keeps coming to work dressed like me. It has happened before and I am sick of it. You have no idea how insulting it is to come to work, ready to do my job and find myself in this embarrassing situation. I just started working here and I need the job.

To me, this is a form of harassment, and I don't understand where she's coming from. It's not my problem if she is unhappy with her self-image. I like myself; I mind my own business and do my work. Also, I worked in fashion for years. If she wants my fashion expertise, she should pay me for it. Copying the way I dress is not a compliment. It's identity theft. She is not me. I do not appreciate her imitating me. Please help! -- ONE OF A KIND IN ILLINOIS

DEAR ONE: I'll try, but it may not be the kind of help you're asking for. Have you never heard the saying, "Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery"? It's a principle the fashion industry is based upon. Instead of being offended and angry, why not help the woman by offering to assist her in making distinctive fashion choices of her own? I'm sure she'd welcome it, and I'm also sure it would lighten and brighten the atmosphere in your workplace. GET OVER YOURSELF!

"Eat for nutrition, not for pleasure." My doctor told me that and somehow that mantra has helped change my relationship with food. And little to no carbs, eating slowly, lots of water ... All good advice from others in this thread

I’m glad it worked you. I don’t think I could do that.

As it is I’m going to be on a fairly high dose of prednisone for months. I’m dreading what it’s going to cause.

Gman

Guest SimonL
I’m glad it worked you. I don’t think I could do that.

As it is I’m going to be on a fairly high dose of prednisone for months. I’m dreading what it’s going to cause.

Gman

I hope all goes well for you.