What Did You Call Your Parents And Grandparents?

Avalon
This topic is 2279 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I called my parents "mom" and "dad". I called my maternal grandmother "gram". I never knew my maternal grandfather; he died when my mother was a teenager. I called my paternal grandmother "grandmother". My paternal grandparents divorced when my father was young. I rarely saw my grandfather; I don't remember what I called him. He died when I was 8.

My paternal grandmother went by "Honey", she said Grandma or any variant made her feel old. Mean old lady. She stayed with us for a week to watch us when I was 11 and my mother was out of state with her family. She terrorized us, including my then 2-year-old sister.

I called my mom, 'momma' until I was around 12, then started calling her mom. If I was exasperated with her, I formalized it to "Mother!" My father was 'daddy' until I was around 10, then always dad. But I never called him "Father." My mom's parents both died when I was about a year old, her mother first and then her father in a few months, since he lost his will to live after my mom's mother died, so I never knew them. My dad's folks were always grandma and grandpa. Pretty standard for many families, I think.

TruHart1 :cool:

I called my grandparents Grandma (I don't think I dared to call her anything else) and then Gramps. I did know my parents but they didn't raise me, so when I was younger and was actually around them I called them mom and dad but as I grew older I was more reluctant to do so.

Edited by Kman

I only knew my paternal grandmother (the rest passed away before I was born) and she was "gramma." My parents were "mommy" and "daddy" until I was about 10 or so and then they became "mom" and "dad." A friend once noted that when discussing my parents I'd say "my mother" and "my dad," but never "my mom" or "my father." Never noticed it until he mentioned it.

@Avalon, so many questions, I feel like the Avalon explosion is still ongoing.

Don’t mean to be pedantic, but in Italian it is spelled (and pronounced) with 2 n’s.

LOL. I know. They would write their names as nono and nona, with one N. I do not know whether their written Italian was bad or they just changed the worlds to the Spanish sound.

Mom and Dad. Never met paternal grandparents. Only met maternal grandparents when they visited for a week, but we didn't speak the same language, so my mother would tell me what my grandmother, or grandfather were either asking or saying, and be our translator. During those conversations, my mom referred to them as "your grandmother" or "your grandfather".