What Time Is Your Thanksgiving Dinner?

Avalon
This topic is 2368 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

My family was not a sports family so regardless of what family member was hosting dinner was at @3PM.

One time a cousin was hosting. It was a two hour drive; I took my grandmother, she was going to stay for several days. Everyone was there except for a cousin's boyfriend. I don't know why he was delayed but they would not begin without him. After a couple of hours I left. There was a 7-11 around the corner. I got a sandwich and went home.

Another time my grandmother was hosting. A cousin had twin boys @10yo. Before dinner began they ate all the dinner rolls. I learned a valuable lesson that day. Never criticize anyone's children!

My family was not a sports family so regardless of what family member was hosting dinner was at @3PM.

One time a cousin was hosting. It was a two hour drive; I took my grandmother, she was going to stay for several days. Everyone was there except for a cousin's boyfriend. I don't know why he was delayed but they would not begin without him. After a couple of hours I left. There was a 7-11 around the corner. I got a sandwich and went home.

Another time my grandmother was hosting. A cousin had twin boys @10yo. Before dinner began they ate all the dinner rolls. I learned a valuable lesson that day. Never criticize anyone's children!

My cousin's son allows his 2 boys to eat nothing but burgers with cheese... it's already showing off in their bodies and they're 10 and 12. Obviously nobody can say anything about it and we'll regret it in the future.

Answering your question my Thanksgiving early superb usually starts around 4 when is getting dark.

A few years ago, my younger sister and her husband were flying in Christmas Day, I was picking them up at the airport & taking them straight to my older sister's house for presents and Christmas dinner. All sorts of delays on their flight, so the three of arrived several hours late, to a house of children going crazy because they couldn't open presents and adults who'd been eating appetizers all afternoon. After we got through the presents, my older sister said "We've all been nibbling all afternoon and nobody's hungry enough for dinner, I'm just going to save it & serve it tomorrow" - leaving my younger sister, her husband, and I out in the cold. She's been teased about that ever since. The next year, I ostentatiously brought a turkey TV dinner, just in case.

Grandmother was in charge of the gravy one year and she added powdered sugar instead of flour (they look the same, you know). She was utterly crushed and the horrible incident was talked about for years after.

My father did that once. And, we too, talked about it for years. It was even mentioned at his funeral.

My father did that once. And, we too, talked about it for years. It was even mentioned at his funeral.

I did something similar once, when I made a dish from memory rather than looking at the recipe. It called for a teaspoon of salt, but I added a a tablespoon; it was almost inedible. It won't be mentioned at my funeral, because the dinner guests are all dead now (not from that meal).

for holidays, my family always just put the food on the table and it was set up as a buffet style and people would just eat whenever and come back for more Thanksgiving food grazing

This year it is just me and my mother and we will probably eat around 2ish and graze the rest of the day (having honey glazed ham instead of turkey so no turkey nap this year)