Dishwashers?

Candyman
This topic is 2387 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

No I don’t mean the cute guy in the back of the restaurant

I’ve owned my current home 4 years and I’ve gone thru 2 dishwashers. I clean the dishes before putting them in so it’s not abuse

Whirlpool came with the house. It lasted 3 years

Bosch lasted 1 year. No one will fix it so Lowe’s is giving me my money back

Any recommendations???

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No I don’t mean the cute guy in the back of the restaurant

I’ve owned my current home 4 years and I’ve gone thru 2 dishwashers. I clean the dishes before putting them in so it’s not abuse

Any recommendations???

have had your water tested? If you are on your own well you may have an issue with the water/grit

I have a GE. It's only 4 years old, but has never given me any trouble. Although not an appliance guy, I rather suspect that there is something else going wrong. Off the top of my head, as @craigville beach mentions, it could be a water issue or it could be an electrical problem or a faulty receptacle. You might consider putting the dishwasher on it's own breaker, and if there is an extension cord involved, it should be an "appliance cord", heavy enough to carry the load. (just a thought)...or it just could be some bad luck.

Depending on the item, I'm generally not a fan of warranties. I think they are a waste of money, but next go round, you might consider purchasing an extended warranty. My washing machine came with a one year manufactures warranty, and I purchased, reluctantly, an additional 2 years with the installer/appliance store. I have now used the warranty 3 times, even recently replacing the entire unit. The mother board kept going out. So far there has been a zero charge to me, so more than worth the money I spent...

My 3 cents...

Edited by bigvalboy

+1 on GE, mine is a fairly highish end GE Profie, I bought it online, shipped it to my garrage and installed it myself ;) five years ago. It’s does an absolute stellar job, quiet as a church mouse, and I really like its steam cycle, long but thorough.

As others have mentioned look to your water quality. At the risk of “keep things simple” reread the manual? I say this only because something “new” pops up every time i reread an owner’s manual, an old favorite recipe hook, etc.

The GE that came with the new construction condo 12 years ago started leaking 2 years ago. So, just stopped using it and hand washed everything. Easy to do except if cooking a big meal for yourself and others. Finally decided to get a new one, got a Bosch. Used the AMX card as it gives me an extra year on the warranty for no additional cost. We'll see how long this one lasts.

The GE that came with the new construction condo 12 years ago started leaking 2 years ago. So, just stopped using it and hand washed everything. Easy to do except if cooking a big meal for yourself and others. Finally decided to get a new one, got a Bosch. Used the AMX card as it gives me an extra year on the warranty for no additional cost. We'll see how long this one lasts.

Bosch is a good, high end brand.

Any recommendations???

How old was the Whirlpool when you moved in?

My whirlpool is fine at 20 years

The only thing I can add for recommendations is that I personally choose to avoid the brands that are made with a lot of plastic. Im interested in replacing mine with european drawer style dishwashers, but wont do it because when I see in showroom, everything inside appears to be flimsy plastic.

If you have hard water you need to periodically clean the dishwasher with CLR which will remove the buildup that clogs the holes in it. My brother and his wife learned this when her mother stayed over at their place and "fixed" the dishwasher they had assumed simply didn't work.

This works....

We have a Kitchenaid that has been relatively trouble-free for several years. I have always suspected that there is something about our installation that doesn't work. When we moved in 11 years ago, there was a nearly-new Maytag, that was one problem after another. We replaced it after a year with a Bosch that was also one problem after another and we gave up on it after a couple of years. The repairman who serviced the Bosch recommended a KitchenAid, which we had him install. The KitchenAid hasn't been problem free - we had to have the motherboard replaced once - and it generally functions sub-optimally, but it is the best of the three.

My mother recently had to replace her dishwasher. I was looking for one for her and picked a GE dishwasher and purchased it from Costco. This dishwasher is very quiet and does an incredible job at getting the dishes totally clean. Also, in addition to the warranty that came with the dishwasher Costco gave an additional 1 year warranty with it, delivered it, installed it and took the old one away at no additional charge.

Had a Whirlpool in my previous house, worked all seven years I lived there. My current house has a Bosch, two Fisher & Paykel dish drawers, and a Miele. All have worked well for 12 years (knock on wood). If there are no water or operator error issues, you might just be unlucky and ended up with a couple of lemons in a row.