Dishwashers?

Candyman
This topic is 2374 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I didn't do enough research. I have a Bosch that's quiet, but it loads badly (not designed for American dishes?), has no end of cycle bell, and doesn't have a heated drying cycle. If you're not there to open the door, all the steam can re-deposit on your dishes.

Did I say it was quiet?

I too find that loading takes some thought, and the lights stays on after all is done. Mine has some sort of vent drying. Not crazy about that, but I always just let the dishes air dry with the old one. So when I see that the "sanitized" light has come on, I prop the door open a little bit with a wine cork, and by morning, dishes and interior are completely dry.

And, yes, it is so flipping quiet. You can stay in the kitchen and have a conversation in a normal voice. I thought is wasn't working the first time I used it until I got up close to see if I could hear it running. Also, sometimes takes a minute to restart if you find a stray glass you left out.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We rarely use our dishwasher, since I like to wash things as soon as I have used them, and it takes us a long time to accumulate enough things to justify running a machine. We recently had dinner guests and used a lot of the best china, so we decided to run the washer for only the second time since we have lived in this house (six months). It is a GE Profile, and I suspect it is the same age as the house--8 years--but I don't know how much the previous owners used it (they were a male couple, an interior decorator and an artist). I thought the machine did a much better cleaning job than any other dishwasher we have owned over the years. In our last house the original washer was OK--I don't remember the make--but when we replaced all the old appliances with stainless steel, we bought an LG that took twice as long as this GE to do a normal load, and everything still came out looking less clean than if I had washed it by hand.

I had a GE that died after a few years and replaced it with a mid-range Whirlpool. Aside from a computer part going bad, the dishwasher was great. The repair was covered by a warranty and I couldn't have been happier.

No I don’t mean the cute guy in the back of the restaurant

I’ve owned my current home 4 years and I’ve gone thru 2 dishwashers. I clean the dishes before putting them in so it’s not abuse

Whirlpool came with the house. It lasted 3 years

Bosch lasted 1 year. No one will fix it so Lowe’s is giving me my money back

Any recommendations???

Do you clean the filters annually?

Thanks for your help

City water and I clean the filters. The Whirlpool lasted 3years. I put that down to builders grade since the house was new. The Bosch is 11 months old. I never buy extended warranties but I did for this. Thankfully. I guess it’s back to good old Kitchen Aid.

No I don’t mean the cute guy in the back of the restaurant

I’ve owned my current home 4 years and I’ve gone thru 2 dishwashers. I clean the dishes before putting them in so it’s not abuse

Whirlpool came with the house. It lasted 3 years

Bosch lasted 1 year. No one will fix it so Lowe’s is giving me my money back

Any recommendations???

When I was a landlord (up until 2 years ago) I put low end Frigidaire units into my rentals. They cleaned well - lasted 10+ years and were never a problem. I had one that came with a duplex building I bought for myself and lived in the larger unit for 2 years - it did a great job.

For Hard Commercial Use I used Kitchen Aid Dishwashers behind the bars the took almost constant use and lived 3-6 years

I have had a Miele brand for about 14 years and nothing has gone wrong. And I bought it with the condo so I am not sure how many years it was here before I moved in. Very quiet. I rinse everything off pretty much before I put it in but that is also the product of not using the dishwasher more than once a week. I hand wash my pots and pans and I do not want the dishes to smell as the week goes by. If I did not rinse the dishes . . . well, you know.

P.S. I am required to use a Rinse Aid.

I have, for the last 23 years, sworn by my Bosch dishwashers. (Still going strong) Parents, friends and rental properties I manage all have them. The last ones I bought online from eBay. The company, buildinc.com, I think, in Iowa ships for free and the units were $450.00 each. Very happy...

On a side note. Don't rinse too much as the sensors look for dirty water/particulate. 1 cup of white vinegar in the wash cycle every month has the CLR effectiveness without chemicals. Mine are older and have filters that do need cleaning and I do it regularly. I do hear good things about kitchen aid, too.

Edited by amigomonty

I understand that, I am married to a PhD holding scientist. I would drink the vinegar whereas I would not consume CLR. It is a non NSF product and was merely making a suggestion looking towards simple.

I understand that, I am married to a PhD holding scientist. I would drink the vinegar whereas I would not consume CLR. It is a non NSF product and was merely making a suggestion looking towards simple.

And less expensive! I use diluted vinager to wash vegetables I'm going to eat raw, in a salad, or when i make gazpacho. It's amazing how much ... stuff... is left in the water.

Wasn’t trying to poke too much fun at you....just a peeve of mind when everyday food products are referred to as not “chemicals”.

I use gallons of white vinegar every day in my businesses to reduce mineral scale in equipment which has boiling tap water standing in it all day...

I have, for the last 23 years, sworn by my Bosch dishwashers. (Still going strong) Parents, friends and rental properties I manage all have them. The last ones I bought online from eBay. The company, buildinc.com, I think, in Iowa ships for free and the units were $450.00 each. Very happy... On a side note. Don't rinse too much as the sensors look for dirty water/particulate. 1 cup of white vinegar in the wash cycle every month has the CLR effectiveness without chemicals. Mine are older and have filters that do need cleaning and I do it regularly. I do hear good things about kitchen aid, too.

Could you explain what you mean to a non-scientist? As I mentioned above, and perhaps to which you were responding, they call for some sort of "Rinse Aid." I, of course, always used that name brand.

I'm going to try making that one day.

This is the recipe I follow, it's a bit of a process, so I tend to make a larger amount, although it's never lasted long enough for me to need to consider if it could survive being frozen. ;)

https://www.epicurious.com/recipes/member/views/cooks-illustrated-creamy-gazpacho-andaluz-50091152