New shingles vaccine

TruthBTold
This topic is 1802 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/to-your-health/wp/2017/10/25/expert-panel-recommends-new-shingles-vaccine-that-gives-increased-protection/?utm_term=.3e006168d516

Unfortunately the article does not seem to include any kind of vaccination schedule. I guess some investigation will be required. It seems insurance will cover it.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just saw an ad for this. I don't know if I ever had chicken pox.

Most people over 50 have but the best thing is to check with your doctor just to see. Also I am not sure if you are 100% immune from infection if you have not had chicken pox but that is another question. I had the vaccine at 50 but it wears off after a certain number of years so I will probably get the new one as it not only has probably worn off but also is a lot less effective (according to the news account). The only problem is that if you want to be really sure about avoiding hep you will have to wait at least 6 or 7 months to be sure about the vaccine. That means I will definitely have to put off sexual connections or at least put some regular items I usually enjoy off to the side. Life can be so hard. :(

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/to-your-health/wp/2017/10/25/expert-panel-recommends-new-shingles-vaccine-that-gives-increased-protection/?utm_term=.3e006168d516

Unfortunately the article does not seem to include any kind of vaccination schedule. I guess some investigation will be required. It seems insurance will cover it.

It's been around for some time now. I think I got it about two years ago.

Most people over 50 have but the best thing is to check with your doctor just to see. Also I am not sure if you are 100% immune from infection if you have not had chicken pox but that is another question. I had the vaccine at 50 but it wears off after a certain number of years so I will probably get the new one as it not only has probably worn off but also is a lot less effective (according to the news account). The only problem is that if you want to be really sure about avoiding hep you will have to wait at least 6 or 7 months to be sure about the vaccine. That means I will definitely have to put off sexual connections or at least put some regular items I usually enjoy off to the side. Life can be so hard. :(

The CDC says every 5 years.

https://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/vpd/shingles/public/index.html

A couple of years too late for me. Had it for 6 months just under two years ago. It sucks. I tried pretty much everything for relief. If I could have tried heroin I probably would have.

The CDC says it's never too late. Even if you've had shingles, you can get the vaccine. AND you can get shingles again.

https://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/vpd/shingles/public/index.html

Ive been asking about the vaccine for awhile.

My insurer, like most, cover it at age 60. Im 18 months shy of 60. Insurers dont always follow FDA age recommendations... they consider their own internal actuarial data.

My physician assures me the benefit of waiting is that the new, better vaccine will be available by the time I'm eligible.

If unsure whether you had (or were exposed to) chicken pox..... your doctor can order titers to determine presence of antibodies. It wouldnt hurt to be vaccinated regardless.

Best advice about shingles.... if you think youre breaking out in shingles... get to the doctor quickly, dont wait until its full blown. The faster you start anti-virals, the lesser the severity and the shorter the duration of the outbreak, and the lesser the post-herpetic neuralgia.

It's been around for some time now. I think I got it about two years ago.

You may be thinking of the original shingles vaccine, Zostavax, as it appears that the new vaccine, Shingrix (where do they get these names?) was only recently approved. Or perhaps you are referring to something else and I apologize.

https://www.fda.gov/downloads/BiologicsBloodVaccines/Vaccines/ApprovedProducts/UCM581750.pdf

Unfortunately the article does not seem to include any kind of vaccination schedule

I went to the medical literature. The second vaccination dose is 2-6 months after the first one. I'm very excited about this new vaccine. It appears much improved from the original.

Folks, you really want to get this vaccine. Please go speak with your doctor about this because Zoster is awful. I'm a physician so I know from clinical experience. So does this next poster below. So sorry for your suffering, Tanman.

A couple of years too late for me. Had it for 6 months just under two years ago. It sucks. I tried pretty much everything for relief. If I could have tried heroin I probably would have.

The only problem is that if you want to be really sure about avoiding hep you will have to wait at least 6 or 7 months to be sure about the vaccine. That means I will definitely have to put off sexual connections or at least put some regular items I usually enjoy off to the side. Life can be so hard

Um, could you elaborate on your comment? Yes, I'm a physician but I don't know everything but I'm unaware of "hep" (You mean hepatitis? Which one?) having a relationship with these vaccines. And I did look at some medical literature to see if I could find a connection.

Edited by josh282282

I thought I did not get chicken pox as a child, but I probably had such a mild case that I wasn't diagnosed, because I did get shingles after I turned 60--twice. The first time was awful, and I didn't know what it was, until I went to my dermatologist. The second time the symptoms were so different, and in a different place, that I didn't realize it was a recurrence until my doctor saw it.

I went to the medical literature. The second vaccination dose is 2-6 months after the first one. I'm very excited about this new vaccine. It appears much improved from the original.

Folks, you really want to get this vaccine. Please go speak with your doctor about this because Zoster is awful. I'm a physician so I know from clinical experience. So does this next poster below. So sorry for your suffering, Tanman.

Um, could you elaborate on your comment? Yes, I'm a physician but I don't know everything but I'm unaware of "hep" (You mean hepatitis? Which one?) having a relationship with these vaccines. And I did look at some medical literature to see if I could find a connection.

I suspect that "hep" is a typo for "herpes."

I was just kidding. I guess I meant that as with all vaccines I assumed that you had to receive all doses (and perhaps a short time after that) for it to take effect. From what I have read there are months between doses. I have received the old vaccine so I am covered to some extent, however that vaccine had only 70% or below effectiveness in most cases to begin with and time has gone by. So, my mind would have some ease while I received the new vaccine. I guess what I meant by fairly stupid comment is that Hepatitis A (from what I understand) can be contacted by being exposed to contaminated feces. Hepatitis B, on the other hand, can be contacted by exposure to infected blood and body fluids. The chances of infection are low but who knows. At any rate, like PrEP, this gives some protection.

I guess what I meant by fairly stupid comment is that Hepatitis A (from what I understand) can be contacted by being exposed to contaminated feces. Hepatitis B, on the other hand, can be contacted by exposure to infected blood and body fluids. The chances of infection are low but who knows. At any rate, like PrEP, this gives some protection.

Ok...um... I'm still lost, even after you explained yourself. My apologies.

Edited by josh282282

I was just kidding. I guess I meant that as with all vaccines I assumed that you had to receive all doses (and perhaps a short time after that) for it to take effect. From what I have read there are months between doses. I have received the old vaccine so I am covered to some extent, however that vaccine had only 70% or below effectiveness in most cases to begin with and time has gone by. So, my mind would have some ease while I received the new vaccine. I guess what I meant by fairly stupid comment is that Hepatitis A (from what I understand) can be contacted by being exposed to contaminated feces. Hepatitis B, on the other hand, can be contacted by exposure to infected blood and body fluids. The chances of infection are low but who knows. At any rate, like PrEP, this gives some protection.

Why not get the Hep A and Hep B vaccines?

Why not get the Hep A and Hep B vaccines?

I'm working in San Diego where Hep A is a crisis. My primary care in San Diego can't get Hep A until January and then can only give it to 1st responders. So, I got my Hep A at my other home in Utah. They told me that the combined Heb A & B only contains an adolescent dose of Heb A. Said it was better to avoid the combined dose and get them separate. That's exactly what I did. FYI, we've already had 1 coworker in San Diego come down with Heb A. Only made sense to protect myself.

No wonder everyone is confused because I WAS SO FUCKING CONFUSED. I first just tried to start a thread about the new shingles vaccine. Then for some reason I started to talk about the hepatitis vaccines. Who knows why. It had to confuse everyone. I think it was because I had wanted to call my physician and set up a schedule to get the hepatitis vaccines. I really want to apologize to everyone.

I'm working in San Diego where Hep A is a crisis. My primary care in San Diego can't get Hep A until January and then can only give it to 1st responders. So, I got my Hep A at my other home in Utah. They told me that the combined Heb A & B only contains an adolescent dose of Heb A. Said it was better to avoid the combined dose and get them separate. That's exactly what I did. FYI, we've already had 1 coworker in San Diego come down with Heb A. Only made sense to protect myself.

I got it years ago and they gave it in split doses.

No wonder everyone is confused because I WAS SO FUCKING CONFUSED. I first just tried to start a thread about the new shingles vaccine. Then for some reason I started to talk about the hepatitis vaccines. Who knows why. It had to confuse everyone. I think it was because I had wanted to call my physician and set up a schedule to get the hepatitis vaccines. I really want to apologize to everyone.

I was wondering if your mind hadn't skipped a track.

Back on the Orient Express . . . new shingles vaccine:

Get it even if you had the old vaccine and even if you have had shingles. Now recommended down to 50 years of age. This is not a "gay" thing - it's for everyone EVEN IF YOU THINK YOU NEVER HAD CHICKENPOX.

You can have a light case with 2-3 pox and never in the world think you had it. The chicken pox vaccine didn't come into wide usage until the 80's so that's when the number of cases of chicken pox began to decrease and if you had chicken pox you are now susceptible to shingles.

Now, think about all those people who went to "chicken pox parties" way back then and their risk for shingles now. OUCH! Literally!

• 1 year later...
Back on the Orient Express . . . new shingles vaccine:

Get it even if you had the old vaccine and even if you have had shingles. Now recommended down to 50 years of age. This is not a "gay" thing - it's for everyone EVEN IF YOU THINK YOU NEVER HAD CHICKENPOX.

You can have a light case with 2-3 pox and never in the world think you had it. The chicken pox vaccine didn't come into wide usage until the 80's so that's when the number of cases of chicken pox began to decrease and if you had chicken pox you are now susceptible to shingles.

Now, think about all those people who went to "chicken pox parties" way back then and their risk for shingles now. OUCH! Literally!

I'm just getting over shingles. I was flat on my back with a bad respiratory infection. I was starting to recover when I broke out in shingles. It was a very light case, but I felt absolutely foul for about 3 days. I had had the old vaccine about 5-6 years ago and it must have been wearing off. I then had a relapse with the cold.