Gay retirement destinations

Stormy
This topic is 1709 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

• Replies 295
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Grazing through this thread from 2017, I am struck by the recommendations for places like Santa Rosa, which the 2018 wildfires have made one think twice about as idyllic retirement places.Last month we made a drive up through western Oregon on the I-5, and had to drive through many miles of smoke-filled air from a wildfire there. We stayed the night in Grants Pass, and could hardly breathe even indoors, although the fire was 40 miles away.

I live in the ice world. But after this, if I ever end up moving, I don't know if I can deal with the northwest and constant rain/drizzle.

I like heat-dry heat. Humidity brings on another set of problems. I remember visiting Louisiana in the height of summer-I thought I had died and gone to hell.

I hear Los Angeles is perfect weather-though very unaffordable. Maybe Phoenix.

I live in the ice world. But after this, if I ever end up moving, I don't know if I can deal with the northwest and constant rain/drizzle.

I like heat-dry heat. Humidity brings on another set of problems. I remember visiting Louisiana in the height of summer-I thought I had died and gone to hell.

I hear Los Angeles is perfect weather-though very unaffordable. Maybe Phoenix.

One needs some relief from the 110-degree summer days in PHX.

If you can arrange healthcare coverage both Latin America and Europe are also excellent choices for full-time or part-time residence. Condo apartments are very cheap in much of Europe and traditionally their fine free healthcare covered all there. I've heard that's not true in many countries now though and Medicare does not cover you outside the US, so it's a factor sometimes now.

My "dream" retirement, which I did not do, was living 6 months in Montreal and 6 months in Fort Lauderdale's gay Wilton Manors.

"It's a dry heat" is simply a way to convince oneself that it could be worse. But believe me, day after day of temperatures in the 105-120 range under a blazing sun, with nights that only decline into the high 80s, are not that pleasant. And it isn't always very dry: the last few days here in the desert have been humid as well as hot. As I write this, it is early morning, with a temperature of 83 and 66% humidity, and no breeze at all.

My ideal would be to live on the coast in the Pacific Northwest from June to October, with a condo in Palm Springs for the rest of the year.

"It's a dry heat" is simply a way to convince oneself that it could be worse. But believe me, day after day of temperatures in the 105-120 range under a blazing sun, with nights that only decline into the high 80s, are not that pleasant. And it isn't always very dry: the last few days here in the desert have been humid as well as hot. As I write this, it is early morning, with a temperature of 83 and 66% humidity, and no breeze at all.

My ideal would be to live on the coast in the Pacific Northwest from June to October, with a condo in Palm Springs for the rest of the year.

In Phoenix, they actually have a "monsoon season" with high temps AND high humidity. High 90s and humidity so high that there's condensation on the windows is no fun.

If you can arrange healthcare coverage both Latin America and Europe are also excellent choices for full-time or part-time residence. Condo apartments are very cheap in much of Europe and traditionally their fine free healthcare covered all there. I've heard that's not true in many countries now though and Medicare does not cover you outside the US, so it's a factor sometimes now.

My "dream" retirement, which I did not do, was living 6 months in Montreal and 6 months in Fort Lauderdale's gay Wilton Manors.

I have been looking at Ecuador to see how that feels. It is fairly inexpensive for pretty much everything local. I still have not figured out how health insurance works, although health care itself is very good (better than the U.S. in some respects). I am trying to understand at what level of residency one qualifies for health insurance. Residency seems fairly easy to qualify for, particularly if you are retired and have a pension or plan to buy some sort of property. They also weirdly have a plan where you qualify if you have any sort of college degree and move down. There are many pluses. One of the cities (Cuenca) has many expat retirees and has an all year round temperature of about 70 - 80. It is also a place that is sort of like Austin, Texas, in that it is the home of many of the arts.

Edited by TruthBTold

Ceiling fans are wonderful, in hot weather they give you a breeze, when it's cold enough to have heaters on, on reverse they circulate the warm air from those heaters.

I am torn about what to do, I split my time now between Canberra and my home town. Both would be nice as a retirement location, Canberra has the 'city' facilities that my home town does not, but it's nice living on country. I fantasise about other places. I doubt I would ever consider the US because of health care costs, but a tropical place at altitude would be nice. In the Americas, think places in Costa Rica or in Guadalajara or Quito. Health costs aside, there are places in the US, but I'll leave the selections to those of you who live there, but big city energy is always nice. And yes, @Eric Hassan, NYC would be nice!

Both at home and in Canberra I have gardens to enjoy, both of which have memories, not quite of the order of my compatriot from Sydney, but of significant attraction nevertheless. I also contemplate moving within Australia to the coast or some other place, like Melbourne where my sister lives, but without much conviction. As our politics become more toxic (not to US standards) I also contemplate moving to Aotearoa/New Zealand but that would be a big step.

Inertia will probably win, unless someone sweeps me off my feet it which case all bets are off!

Finding a retirement place to live can be a very tricky issue. I will be 79 in October and was born and have spent my entire life in the greater Los Angeles, California area. In the 1940’, 50’s, 60’s, and even 70’s Southern California was a great place to live; not so much anymore. The congestion and traffic are god awful. The cost of living is outrageous. Housing prices prevent many middles class individual and couples from owning a home. The homeless situation is out of control – recently in downtown Los Angeles there was a typhus outbreak in one of the homeless encampments. City, county, and state government elected officials seem incapable of addressing any of these problems – they just talk about them but do nothing constructive to solve them.

Now one can logically ask, considering how I feel about all of the above, why don’t I move. The answer is not all that simple. I taught school in a local school for over thirty years and have a multitude of former parents, students and colleagues who are friends and, at least for me, would be hard to leave. My widowed sister, who is undergoing cancer treatment lives very near and I’m her primary care giver. And at 79 probably the most important reason for not moving is that all of my doctors are here. Yes I would love to live in Santa Fe or Albuquerque New Mexico but it just isn’t going to happen.

I would be willing to bet a considerable amount of money that my situation is not unique. What many of us would like to have done or even do now just isn’t feasible for a number of reasons. Thus we (I) need to accept reality and stop whining about where I live and move on.

Finding a retirement place to live can be a very tricky issue. I will be 79 in October and was born and have spent my entire life in the greater Los Angeles, California area. In the 1940’, 50’s, 60’s, and even 70’s Southern California was a great place to live; not so much anymore. The congestion and traffic are god awful. The cost of living is outrageous. Housing prices prevent many middles class individual and couples from owning a home. The homeless situation is out of control – recently in downtown Los Angeles there was a typhus outbreak in one of the homeless encampments. City, county, and state government elected officials seem incapable of addressing any of these problems – they just talk about them but do nothing constructive to solve them.

Now one can logically ask, considering how I feel about all of the above, why don’t I move. The answer is not all that simple. I taught school in a local school for over thirty years and have a multitude of former parents, students and colleagues who are friends and, at least for me, would be hard to leave. My widowed sister, who is undergoing cancer treatment lives very near and I’m her primary care giver. And at 79 probably the most important reason for not moving is that all of my doctors are here. Yes I would love to live in Santa Fe or Albuquerque New Mexico but it just isn’t going to happen.

I would be willing to bet a considerable amount of money that my situation is not unique. What many of us would like to have done or even do now just isn’t feasible for a number of reasons. Thus we (I) need to accept reality and stop whining about where I live and move on.

Is any extended travel - for a couple of months - possible, in between the necessary doctor's appointment and your sister etc.?

Ceiling fans are wonderful, in hot weather they give you a breeze, when it's cold enough to have heaters on, on reverse they circulate the warm air from those heaters.

I am torn about what to do, I split my time now between Canberra and my home town. Both would be nice as a retirement location, Canberra has the 'city' facilities that my home town does not, but it's nice living on country. I fantasise about other places. I doubt I would ever consider the US because of health care costs, but a tropical place at altitude would be nice. In the Americas, think places in Costa Rica or in Guadalajara or Quito. Health costs aside, there are places in the US, but I'll leave the selections to those of you who live there, but big city energy is always nice. And yes, @Eric Hassan, NYC would be nice!

Both at home and in Canberra I have gardens to enjoy, both of which have memories, not quite of the order of my compatriot from Sydney, but of significant attraction nevertheless. I also contemplate moving within Australia to the coast or some other place, like Melbourne where my sister lives, but without much conviction. As our politics become more toxic (not to US standards) I also contemplate moving to Aotearoa/New Zealand but that would be a big step.

Inertia will probably win, unless someone sweeps me off my feet it which case all bets are off!

Ah...why can't everywhere be like New Zealand...... .

These Stunning Photos of New Zealand's Largest Gang Will Give You Sleepless Nights

http://flip.it/4LAePm

When I was ready to retire from my full-time job at 60, my partner and I did an 8000 mile driving trip around the entire country, looking at all the places that I had been researching for a couple of years as possible retirement relocations. We settled on Palm Springs for several reasons, but there were other places I really liked and was sorry to forego. Now I find myself bitching all the time about the summer heat the same way that I used to bitch about the winters in Pennsylvania, and I fantasize about what it would be like to have chosen some of those places instead. But starting life in a new place at 61 is a lot easier than doing it again years later, when one worries more about finding new friends and new support services, especially if one is dealing with medical issues. I would certainly recommend relocating if one retires fairly early and has the means and desire to live somewhere new, but no matter where you go, expect to have times when you suffer nostalgia for your old home and regrets about the new one. No place is perfect to begin with, and every place changes over time, in ways good and bad.

I've reached the same conclusion, that the answer will not be all that simple.

Would it make sense to retire to a place one is familiar with: where they grew up; where they worked or served in the military; where they spend vacations?

In Lee Eisenberg's retirement book The Number , he includes options retired people choose for settling down or not, during their last phase. My oldest brother read it and handed it to me. He's retired now and they travel around with a new, luxury travel trailer that he pulls with a brand new Ford pickup. They go all over the place, even up to Alaska. Me, that is the last thing I would do.

I was at dinner recently in downtown LA and observed a young lesbian couple holding hands. How many places are like this? In that regard, I question whether I will ever leave here.

I've thought about someplace with better air. For now, my house is near the beach so the air is better than many other areas. Still, when I get off the plane and leave the terminal in San Francisco I immediately realize the difference in air quality. But housing costs up there are worse than here in southern Cal.

San Diego has nice weather but the crowds and traffic there have gotten so much worse over the last 25 years, to me it isn't a lot different than LA in some regards. But if I leave LA, San Diego could be one possibility. It's about as close to Palm Springs as I am now.

I have former colleagues that retired to St. George, Utah. It sounds nice, but for me, retiring to Utah seems on a par with retiring to other super red states, or bible belt style areas, e.g. Texas, Arkansas, Florida and Alabama. Many folks retire to those places I know, but probably not me. For that matter, the wide open skies of Nebraska or Wyoming are appealing, yet I expect the worldview of peeps that live there could affect finding a happy, gay retirement life.

Edited by E.T.Bass

I thought Judy was quoting a gay retiree when she said "we're not in Kansas anymore" :) (I quite liked Kansas City when I was there a few years ago in the early Fall.)

I really mean small town Kansas well west and south of KC. The KC area and exurbs as far as Lawrence serve as moderate to liberal oases. But you'd be surprised at the number of small towns here that have gay couples who are quite happy.

The first time I lived a few months in a hot place, I was so happy-I could feel the heat in my bones. Where I live is just horrible, humid, cold and frozen for part of the year. I also have somewhat creaky joints in winter-whenever I go to hot places they seem to go away.

I definitely can't spend retirement in cold places. probably be locked up all winter-not to mention the bad sinuses and headaches. I definitely can't afford Los Angelese-after I pay off the kids colleges, I will have a reasonable nest egg and don't want to spend it on housing. I have to find a poor man's Los Angeles-I do like Los Angeles.

I still have a while before the kids go to college. But I don't know if I can take this cold for long-need heat! Might end up moving before retirement.

Its difficult enough to start a new life in a new place when you are young and pretty, but when you are aged, and achy people just aren't as drawn to you, and finding connections can be almost impossible. That's my reason for retiring and Staying in NYC. Doctors are less of a factor for me, because I believe you can find good doctors anywhere, and I really hate most of my doctors anyway. But I don't think I would have the bravery and patience to start in a new place with NO friends or lifelines. Its too scary...

So I'll put up with the congestion and expense for whatever years I have left, and then be buried in my family plot with my parents. .

I really mean small town Kansas well west and south of KC. The KC area and exurbs as far as Lawrence serve as moderate to liberal oases. But you'd be surprised at the number of small towns here that have gay couples who are quite happy.

I have a lot of relatives in Emporia KS-very pretty town. Pretty conservative, I suspect.

You'll always have a bit of home here in NYC! It's also quite capable of sweeping one off one's feet . . .