Gay retirement destinations

Stormy
This topic is 1709 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I've lived in West Hollywood since the 70s, and it feels safe and familiar. But I live in a three story Townhouse, and my knees are giving me problems. I'm also sitting on a big pile of equity. Many of my friends have moved to Palm Springs, but when I go to visit them most of them seem to pass the time in an alcohol stupor sunning themselves by the pool. I don't drink, and I'm a fair skinned blue eyed redhead who is disinclined to spend my retirement applying sunscreen. I enjoy attending the Philharmonic, the Opera, and Theater. I also have begun to feel like I would enjoy a less hectic pace, but with a vibrant local arts scene and access to big city for its amenities, both social and carnal. I've been exploring-

1. Santa Rosa, CA. 55 miles north of SF. County seat of Sonoma County (wine country). Vibrant arts and restaurant scene, dry Mediterranean climate (average high August 84) and close enough for weekend getaways in San Franciso. Housing prices are reasonable by SF and LA standards. Two major medical centers.

2. Ventura, CA- a climate as fine as Santa Barbara and property near the ocean at affordable prices. Access to LA by train in about 75 minutes. The climate is so temperate that many homes have no AC.

3. Ashland, OR. The Ashland Shakespeare Festival is one of the largest Theater Festivals in the Country, it runs from February to October. In Southern Oregon about 20 miles from California, the climate is drier and warmer than Portland. Home prices are reasonable by California standards. The setting is beautiful. The downside- it is a shlep to SF or Portland, or to get to an International Airport to travel. Yet I have friends who have moved there and never want to leave.

I'm going to be visiting all these places over the next year. I think it's important to consider what is important to you, and establish some criteria as to what defines a high quality of life by your definition. I will revisit this thread when I've made a decision.

There is even still a chance I might end up in Paris ( where I've often dreamed of living) if I were brave, and willing to live in a 400 sq ft one room apartment that might still be the answer.

This is a great thread. Thanks to all who have commented.

My partner and I, while still 10+ years from retirement, are talking about where we might want to retire. We have lived in San Francisco for decades and are financially OK. But SF has changed so much from the tech boom - and unlike from dotcom 1.0 - the changes are probably for good this time, that we don't love SF anymore and would gladly leave now if our careers weren't tied to this place. The Northern California wine country is lovely and there is a very active gay social scene and acceptance... think Healdsburg, Sonoma, Glen Ellen - but property is expensive, increasingly so. Petaluma is nice too. The Sonoma Co. airport is now served by major airlines with connections to SFO and LAX for flights. There is the new train that connects with the ferry to SF (the drive to SF can be horrendous during commute times and on Sunday afternoons). One downside is major medical care - even urgent care - requires a 30-40 minute drive to Santa Rosa.

We love to visit Palm Springs but agree with the previous comment that social life seems to be centered in alcoholic haze (not that the Wine Country isn't like that either but there are more options for activities and hobbies).

The cost of living anywhere in California can be high. Your dollar just doesn't go as far as in other states.

The winter weather in Oregon can be dismal but spring, summer and autumn are lovely, at least for now. For those on here expecting decades of more longevity, climate change should be a real consideration, especially in coastal and arid places.

My partner and I don't have an answer yet. For our more active retirement years, we have considered a semi-nomadic lifestyle of living in different places for ~1 year to continually challenge ourselves with new cultures, new people and new languages to keep our minds young. That's not for everybody. We also recognize that when settling down, we want a place with an environment that inspires healthy living, good climate without extremes, an active senior community, walkable, and easy to navigate. Some of the suggestions on here are great food for thought!

• Replies 295
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've lived in West Hollywood since the 70s, and it feels safe and familiar. But I live in a three story Townhouse, and my knees are giving me problems. I'm also sitting on a big pile of equity. Many of my friends have moved to Palm Springs, but when I go to visit them most of them seem to pass the time in an alcohol stupor sunning themselves by the pool. I don't drink, and I'm a fair skinned blue eyed redhead who is disinclined to spend my retirement applying sunscreen. I enjoy attending the Philharmonic, the Opera, and Theater. I also have begun to feel like I would enjoy a less hectic pace, but with a vibrant local arts scene and access to big city for its amenities, both social and carnal. I've been exploring-

1. Santa Rosa, CA. 55 miles north of SF. County seat of Sonoma County (wine country). Vibrant arts and restaurant scene, dry Mediterranean climate (average high August 84) and close enough for weekend getaways in San Franciso. Housing prices are reasonable by SF and LA standards. Two major medical centers.

2. Ventura, CA- a climate as fine as Santa Barbara and property near the ocean at affordable prices. Access to LA by train in about 75 minutes. The climate is so temperate that many homes have no AC.

3. Ashland, OR. The Ashland Shakespeare Festival is one of the largest Theater Festivals in the Country, it runs from February to October. In Southern Oregon about 20 miles from California, the climate is drier and warmer than Portland. Home prices are reasonable by California standards. The setting is beautiful. The downside- it is a shlep to SF or Portland, or to get to an International Airport to travel. Yet I have friends who have moved there and never want to leave.

I'm going to be visiting all these places over the next year. I think it's important to consider what is important to you, and establish some criteria as to what defines a high quality of life by your definition. I will revisit this thread when I've made a decision.

There is even still a chance I might end up in Paris ( where I've often dreamed of living) if I were brave, and willing to live in a 400 sq ft one room apartment that might still be the answer.

A good friend decided to leave the Hollywood Hills and move to Santa Rosa. Unfortunately, he had been there only two weeks when he was diagnosed with a particularly nasty kind of cancer, and discovered that the medical care in Santa Rosa was not up to dealing with it. He had to go to USF for treatment, and ended up having to rent an apt in SF to live in while recovering and having daily treatment, because when you are ill, traveling into SF from Santa Rosa regularly is just not practical. He never did get to live in the beautiful retirement home he had bought in Santa Rosa because he didn't survive, so I don't know what he would have thought of the place.

Ashland is gorgeous, but it is not cheap to live there. We looked at the area very seriously last year, when we were thinking of leaving Palm Springs, and found that the nearby city of Medford was more reasonably priced. A ten minute drive from Ashland, there is a large, beautiful continuing care retirement community in Medford, on a hill overlooking the city, at which we spent two days as guests. However, we found that our hosts were the only gay couple among the 1000+ residents, sort of the token gays so the community could claim it was diverse. The area is reliably conservative Republican. If you are interested in the area, however, PM me for details about the options there.

I just visited central and southern Oregon because of the eclipse. There are some beautiful riverside homes in Grants Pass and Bend which you could easily afford if you own a 3-bedroom townhouse in WeHo. One does have to consider extra traveling time, due to the limited flights from Medford or Bend, as well as more limited cultural and medical facilities.

If I were contemplating retiring in Northern California, which I'm not, I would most likely move to Healdsburg in Sonoma County. I is a lovely small town in the middle of a major wine producing area. It has the added advantage of being only about 70 miles (about a two hour drive considering traffic) north of San Francisco.

When I think mid-century modern, I think of the actual designers who made the movement a classic: Saarinen, George Nelson, Frank Lloyd Wright, Jacobsen, Knoll and Corbusier (among others). These were the artists who created a look that has since survived, thrived and reintroduced itself to a new generation. Palm Springs has been done a fantastic job of not only appreciating it, but respectfully preserving what they have. I admire that... It's not an inexpensive thing to do.

Clearly, we differ in what we'd seek for a retirement setting, but if PS floats your boat, I say more power to you :)

Can't help but notice that your list left off a whole slew of important architects -- all of whom worked in Palm Springs. At the top of the list is Richard Neutra, whose Kauffman house is among the greatest of mid-century masterpieces.

Can't help but notice that your list left off a whole slew of important architects -- all of whom worked in Palm Springs. At the top of the list is Richard Neutra, whose Kauffman house is among the greatest of mid-century masterpieces.

I was just identifying those who are synonymous with MCM design on a mass-known level.

I totally agree about Neutra's work. He was amazing... As were John Lautner, Purcell, Gruen (and that beautiful bank), A Quincy Jones and others. Palm Springs attracted major talent.

I was just identifying those who are synonymous with MCM design on a mass-known level.

I totally agree about Neutra's work. He was amazing... As were John Lautner, Purcell, Gruen (and that beautiful bank), A Quincy Jones and others. Palm Springs attracted major talent.

It's amazing that Kauffman built two great houses - the Neutra and FL Wright's Fallingwater.

Of course, Philip Johnson once said that Frank Lloyd Wright was among the greatest architects of the 19th century, but that's a different story.

It's amazing that Kauffman built two great houses - the Neutra and FL Wright's Fallingwater.

Of course, Philip Johnson once said that Frank Lloyd Wright was among the greatest architects of the 19th century, but that's a different story.

Didn't Philip Johnson do the AT&T building on 5th ave in NYC? Otherwise known as the Chippendale Chest? (Wiped out my favourite french restaurant in NYC, Steak pommes frites Chez George) in the process..

1200px-Sony_Building_by_David_Shankbone_crop.jpg

Front Entrance:800px-Sony_Building_by_Matthew_Bisanz.jpg

Edited by gallahadesquire

Didn't Philip Johnson do the AT&T building on 5th ave in NYC? Otherwise known as the Chippendale Chest? (Wiped out my favourite french restaurant in NYC, Steak pommes frites Chez George) in the process...

Architectural type, here. Philip Johnson's designs are very over-rated and will probably not be appreciated (and could be taken down) in a few years, if only.

Edited by Good Grief

These are exceptionally beautiful mid-century Palms Springs edifices.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-VwlzbtzKo9U/UWWAGxNKmZI/AAAAAAAAAQA/bbuBUzRn6SI/s1600/Jim+Jennings+ONE+BR.jpg

http://trendland.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/palm-springs-modernist-architecture-06.jpg http://blog.modernismweek.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/Sandpiper-tour-photo.jpg

So sexy.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-VwlzbtzKo9U/UWWAGxNKmZI/AAAAAAAAAQA/bbuBUzRn6SI/s1600/Jim+Jennings+ONE+BR.jpg

http://trendland.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/palm-springs-modernist-architecture-06.jpg http://blog.modernismweek.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/Sandpiper-tour-photo.jpg

So sexy.

Palm Springs... gold old God's waiting room.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-ZgFsabXFOgw/U7rOkqfIdiI/AAAAAAAAB_U/uNTaZ4lay0A/s1600/Palm+Springs+Weekend.jpg

On the other hand unless it is a very specific apartment that you already have a lead on, I'd venture to say that most of the

rental apartments in Paris are in multi - floor (frequently 6) buildings without elevators, and given what you said about having knee problems, that would give me pause ...

if only the same could be said of Frank Gehry's monstrosities. I only know his building at MIT, and it's ... well, the man needs a STRAIGHT-edge.

Gehry is the greatest living architect of our time. I could list a slew of masterpieces, but I'll limit it to two: Disney Hall, in Los Angeles; Guggenheim Bilbao, in Spain. These alone place him at the top of the heap. Visit them and you will see why.

(Add: OK, 3 masterpieces: Gehry's own house in Santa Monica. Wonderfully strange and completely livable.)

Edited by Kenny

http://www.traveller.com.au/content/dam/images/g/i/8/l/6/9/image.gallery.galleryLandscape.620x414.gj61f2.png/1440401686585.jpg

Brasilia. I am not a major fan of architecture, yet flew to Brasilia in 1974 just to enjoy Oscar Niemeyer's work :)

I was able to tour Disney Hall the afternoon after it opened. Luck was with me

So sexy.

Thanks for those great images, @Good Grief. They reminded me of pictures I'd seen of Frank Sinatra's Palm Springs home ...

sinatrahouse.jpg

... which is apparently now available to rent ...

http://www.sinatrahouse.com/

... which is apparently now available to rent ...

http://www.sinatrahouse.com/

Yes, it is and it's a beautiful small compound. I stayed there last year with a group of friends.

The best part about it is that it's been meticulously kept. It's like taking a gigantic step back in time.

I once stayed at the Merv Griffin estate in PS. That is a beautiful, expansive property:

https://www.luxuryretreats.com/vacation-rentals/united-states/california-desert-cities/la-quinta/the-merv-griffin-estate-114150

Architectural type, here. Philip Johnson's designs are very over-rated and will probably not be appreciated (and could be taken down) in a few years, if only.

My oldest friends live in one of the few private residences that Philip Johnson designed. It is a gem, but impractical as a family home. One of them is an architect himself, and he has had to make numerous tweaks to the house to make it functional to raise their children. Whenever I stay in their guest bedroom, which used to be one of the kid's bedrooms, I feel like I am in a compartment on a very small ship. Nevertheless, they have stayed in it for almost a half century, and despite the trouble of maintaining it, they can't bring themselves to leave.

I lived down the street from the Sinatra house for a number of years, and walked my dog past it regularly. It had become rather shabby, but I understand that the renovation (which seemed to go on forever) has been very successful.

I vaguely remember seeing his Villa Maggio for sale in the real estate section a while back. The architecture was not my style, but I thought the land it sat on was stunning, which made the multi-million dollar price tag almost reasonable.

http://www.stjamescanter.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/10/aerial-w-frank.jpg

Edited by bigvalboy