PALM SPRINGS WEEKEND 2018

Epigonos
This topic is 2220 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Uber cannot pick you up at at the airport. What you have to do, is go across the street on the cover of el cielo and tachquitz and they will pick you up. City hall is on that corner

Any idea what Uber (or Lyft) costs?

Mike Carey said above it's a $15 taxi ride or so from the airport to Canyon Club, which is what I would have guessed. There's always a line of taxis right when you walk out the door. I've never had to wait for one. So unless you are an Uber lover the easiest thing to do is probably take a taxi. And if you are really frugal and don't mind walking, like me, you can pay $1.25 and take the bus from Farrell. Schedules for Route 14 are linked above.

Edited by stevenkesslar

• Replies 765
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Any idea Uber (or Lyft) costs?

Mike Carey said above it's a $15 taxi ride or so from the airport to Canyon Club, which is what I would have guessed. There's always a line of taxis right when you walk out the door. I've never had to wait for one. So unless you are an Uber lover the easiest thing to do is probably take a taxi. And if you are really frugal and don't mind walking, like me, you can pay $1.25 and take the bus from Farrell. Schedules for Route 14 are linked above.

Mike you can always call Steven. He is well known for picking up men all over town.

Any idea Uber (or Lyft) costs?

No, I don't. I think that DavidSF use to drive for Lyft. He may have an idea

Mike taking the Palm Springs Aerial Tramway from the desert floor to the top of the mountain is a great idea if you have never done it. I have always wanted to make the trip BUT I am so terrified of heights that just thought of doing it puts me into a cold sweat. If you do take the trip be prepared for a 15 - 20 degree F difference between the desert floor and the mountain top. The views on a clear day are supposed to be wonderful.

@Epigonos, I'm aware that there will be a great change of temperature from base to top, I'm looking to see the view (and will take a jacket with me). I was counselled to check it out this year but I decided not to try to get there by taxi. I very much planned to be able to do it 'next year'. Eric was one of those who told me I needed to check it out.

https://www.pstramway.com/

the tram is, indeed, spectacular and travels over a particularly rugged canyon (and I've seen lots of canyons) on the way to the top while the cabin rotates......bring a jacket......lots of easy-to-hard trail choices at the top, food, drink, views, displays.....many stay all day up there and return after dark to the bottom.....

the scariest part is when the tram car passes thru the towers on the way and, as a result, the car rocks significantly

the tram is, indeed, spectacular and travels over a particularly rugged canyon (and I've seen lots of canyons) on the way to the top while the cabin rotates......bring a jacket......lots of easy-to-hard trail choices at the top, food, drink, views, displays.....many stay all day up there and return after dark to the bottom.....

the scariest part is when the tram car passes thru the towers on the way and, as a result, the car rocks significantly

If the tram is a rockin' don't come a knockin'

Another place some might enjoy visiting is the former home of Mr. and Mrs. Walter Annenberg: Sunnylands. The Annenberg's were close friends of President and Mrs. Reagan and the Reagan's frequently vacationed there. The grounds are stunning and the modern art collection in the house is outstanding. Tickets can be purchased through the Sunnylands web site www.sunnylands.org

I hate to fly so I will just bring a few extra Valium. I think they make me a nicer person also.

I stayed at Canyon Club last year and Uber or Lyft rides are cheap and plentiful. Also, some Forum members were kind enough to offer me rides. Also the free PS shuttle bus stops right in front.

Gracias amigo. Yep, so I was informed and the decisions have been made. I am flying to PSP, taking a taxi cab to Canyon Club, and then calling Uber or depending on the generosity of our slutty friends to move around. :)

Another place some might enjoy visiting is the former home of Mr. and Mrs. Walter Annenberg: Sunnylands. The Annenberg's were close friends of President and Mrs. Reagan and the Reagan's frequently vacationed there. The grounds are stunning and the modern art collection in the house is outstanding. Tickets can be purchased through the Sunnylands web site www.sunnylands.org

Good to know. The Palm Springs Art Museum is first rate and worth a visit.

I took a 4pm train on a Friday -- and got to laugh at the folks stuck on the 110 while I am sipping a cocktail and watching an HBO Movie on the free wifi!

Since the 110 ends a hundred miles from PS, however, you might need more than one cocktail. :)

Edited by Kenny

The grounds are stunning and the modern art collection in the house is outstanding.

The modern art collection in the house at Sunnylands is not real. They are (almost) all copies. The real ones were given to the Metropolitan Museum in New York a couple of decades ago.

Edited by Kenny

By the way, I heard there is no bar in Canyon Club. Is there a liquor store nearby? A marihuana shop?

There is a liquor store about 3 or 4 blocks from Canyon Club. These are long suburban blocks with little visual interest (very Palm Springs) so it is about a quarter mile walk, which in the heat carrying bottles of hooch seems farther. Someone used to walking would have no trouble. They also sell snack food. Given that the rooms have refrigerators, a group trip to a real grocery store for food and booze might be a good idea. I would be up for that.

Last year I discovered that there were no pot shops withing walking distance AND that a medical ID was required. By next April, strictly recreational shops may be in operation. Due to the largess of another guest, I was able to circumvent these obstacles.