PALM SPRINGS WEEKEND 2018

Epigonos
This topic is 2232 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

• Replies 765
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Youngboldone the deviled egg comment is definitely an inside joke (comment). My job at the Palm Spring Weekend is to act as our hosts (Oliver's) chief cook and bottle washer. I love to cook thus I prepare "most" of the food for the Sunday Pool Party. One of the things I prepare, on demand, every year is Deviled Eggs which I personally loathe. Most participants love the damn things thus I now "MUST" prepare three dozen (72 pieces) of the disgusting things. Participants make fun of me because although I prepare them I would NEVER EVER eat one plus I'm very outspoken about my dislike of them.

P.S. Don't feel so alone. My first sexual experience with another man was at age 65.

A woman on a local radio station here in Southern California had a call-in talk show for a number of years. From her I "finally" learned how to peel hard boiled eggs.

1. Do not use real fresh eggs

2. Bring the eggs to room temperature

3. Never cook more than 18 at one time regardless of the amount of water used

4. Pierce the large end of each egg with a punch pin

5. When the water is boiling lower the eggs into it and boil for 20 minutes

6. Immediately drain the eggs and place in cold water with lots of ice.

7. After a minute or two crack the eggs all over while still in the ice water.

8. Wait about 5 minutes and the eggs will peel with ease.

IT WORKS!!!

jj you are most welcome to my share. My mother was a stand back and throw kind of cook and so am I. My deviled egg recipe is something I have put together over a number of years listening to suggestions from people who eat the disgusting thing.

I put the egg yolks through a ricer so that the filling will be smooth. I then start by adding a fairly sizeable amount of a good Dijon mustard. Next I add garlic salt, Worcestershire Sauce and Tabasco Sauce all to taste. I used to add anchovy paste but many people didn't like the flavor so I stopped using it. I finally add just enough Best Foods Mayonnaise to make the mixture smooth enough to allowing piping through a star tip. I then pipe the filling into the egg whites, garnish with paprika, plate the damn things and serve them.

Edited by Epigonos

jj you are most welcome to my share. My mother was a stand back and throw kind of cook and so am I. My deviled recipe is something I have put together over a number of years listening to suggestions from people who eat the disgusting thing.

I put the egg yolks through a ricer so that the filling will be smooth. I then start by adding a fairly sizeable amount of a good Dijon mustard. Next I add garlic salt, Worcestershire Sauce and Tabasco Sauce all to taste. I used to add anchovy paste but many people didn't like the flavor so I stopped using it. I finally add just enough Best Foods Mayonnaise to make the mixture smooth enough to allowing piping through a star tip. I then pipe the filling into the egg whites, garnish with paprika, plate the damn things and serve them.

Yup, I approve of your recipe, but I am a finicky Queen, and love a bit of crunch, so I add the crumbs on top.... Most people have NEVER had em that way.

Perhaps it is time for an egg off. Epigonos hates the eggs but my guess is he likes the accolades for their scrumptiousness (they are scrumptious). Youngboldone, who appears not to be real young (younger than me but then dirt looks at me and says look at the old geezer) nor real bold (by his own account) nor one (part of a pair is really more than one, at least my spouse made me feel that way and I would hope the same for any other married couple) and besides questions about why that name (I get it all the time) an egg off might be just the entree entry to allow YBO to eggcel at the PS affair. So I propose an egg off. Bring three dozen each and see which platters disappear first. The one whose platters empty first, shall hold the title HIs Eggcellency and I am sure we can convince daddy to post that name with the avatar of the one eaten first. This is no yolk. Don't be yellow.

jj you are most welcome to my share. My mother was a stand back and throw kind of cook and so am I. My deviled recipe is something I have put together over a number of years listening to suggestions from people who eat the disgusting thing.

Yeah, to the no anchovy paste. Believe it or not, and it tends to apply to my whole life, I actually have a machine in which I make hard boiled eggs. How lazy can you get? You can only make 7 eggs at a time so it is not exactly efficient. But I am usually making them only for myself. At any rate, I was very skeptical. However, you place them in this thing with a little water in the bottom portion, turn it on, let it do its thing, and then it beeps when it is done. You let the eggs cool down and put them in the refrigerator. Then peel them. Perfect every time.

I am going to start trying the various ingredients suggested. I am particularly intrigued by the bread crumbs. Sounds yummy.

Perhaps it is time for an egg off. Epigonos hates the eggs but my guess is he likes the accolades for their scrumptiousness (they are scrumptious). Youngboldone, who appears not to be real young (younger than me but then dirt looks at me and says look at the old geezer) nor real bold (by his own account) nor one (part of a pair is really more than one, at least my spouse made me feel that way and I would hope the same for any other married couple) and besides questions about why that name (I get it all the time) an egg off might be just the entree entry to allow YBO to eggcel at the PS affair. So I propose an egg off. Bring three dozen each and see which platters disappear first. The one whose platters empty first, shall hold the title HIs Eggcellency and I am sure we can convince daddy to post that name with the avatar of the one eaten first. This is no yolk. Don't be yellow.

I really like the idea.

To be honest, I was afraid 3 dozens of eggs were not enough. I can eat that as an appetizer.

I hope more contestants (carrying their eggs) join.

Yeah, to the no anchovy paste. Believe it or not, and it tends to apply to my whole life, I actually have a machine in which I make hard boiled eggs. How lazy can you get? You can only make 7 eggs at a time so it is not exactly efficient. But I am usually making them only for myself. At any rate, I was very skeptical. However, you place them in this thing with a little water in the bottom portion, turn it on, let it do its thing, and then it beeps when it is done. You let the eggs cool down and put them in the refrigerator. Then peel them. Perfect every time.

I am going to start trying the various ingredients suggested. I am particularly intrigued by the bread crumbs. Sounds yummy.

As an crunch "alternative", I also sometimes like to sprinkle crumbled French's French Fried Onions (in the can) on top.... Its also unexpected and suprisingly Tasty....

02c0f531-99dd-4980-b51f-b4b03d294307_1.1e890428f85c6684c33dcff9f04d8e4d.jpeg?odnHeight=450&odnWidth=450&odnBg=FFFFFF

I love those damn deviled eggs, so if an "egg off" means we get even more of them, I'm all for it!

Hell, I can eat three dozen of them all by myself. :)

@youngboldone, I hope you change your mind and decide to come. My husband and I stumbled upon this group quite by accident five years ago, when we happened to be staying at the same PS resort as some of the attendees. We hit it off immediately, and were welcomed into the group with open arms. We haven't missed a Palm Springs weekend since, and in fact, wouldn't miss it for the world. Simply put, you won't find a group of nicer guys than these. They've been there for us in countless ways, and we're proud to call them our friends.

Rob

5. When the water is boiling lower the eggs into it and boil for 20 minutes

Boil for 20 minutes! Egad! No wonder you hate deviled eggs.

Ten minutes, max, yields the creamiest yokes -- no ricer needed to transform them from shredded yellow cardboard and get them smooth. And edible.

Kenny most cooks would certainly agree with you regarding the amount of time to boil the eggs. My thing is that I don't really want the yolks creamy to start. I want them on the dry side so they don't become too creamy to pipe after the other ingredients are added. I have tried boiling them for ten minutes have not been satisfied with the results.

Edited by Epigonos

I'm a bit late to the party, but for what it's worth:

@youngboldone (and anyone else mulling the PS weekend over) - if it sounds like something you think you'd like, i'd encourage you to attend, even if you've got some hesitations about personalities or vibes. there's room for everyone, and while folks do tend to spend a lot of time with each other, there's no mandatory event - you can do what you like, join in what you like. the vibe is warm and friendly. there are no flame wars, but maybe a bulge contest. it's not a non-stop orgy - you might see a dick or ten, but you can feel perfectly comfortable to just chat. there are opportunities to hire, and there are opportunities for working guys and friends/clients/whatever to hang out socially. what i really enjoyed last year was getting to know people from the forum, getting to spend some private time with some guys, and having lots of social time - also, i lived in ps before, so it was nice to see friends and do my sunday night toucan's ritual. also, i got to know nate newman and alex hawk and i've since spent quite a bit of time with both of them, and we've developed lasting friendships.

and when it comes to hard-boiled eggs - i acidulate the cold water with vinegar (as you would if you were poaching eggs) and add the eggs - then i bring the water to a boil and let it go for 1 minute - then i shut the heat off, cover the eggs, and let them hang around 8 minutes, then into an ice water bath and they're good to go. i don't, however, turn them into deviled eggs - while i personally love them, i find them better when someone else makes them.

Please believe me when I say that things are much more congenial here today, on this site, than they were fifteen years ago. When I first started posting here blood flowed nearly every day and to survive one needed VERY thick skin.

You must only post in selected places on this site.

You are correct WilliamM in stating that I only post in selected places (forums) on this site. However, I frequently read forums in which I never post. With that stated I'll stick to my guns. Even the Political Forum today is more easily compared to a tea party than to the Political Forum of fifteen years ago.

t. With that stated I'll stick to my guns. Even the Political Forum today is more easily compared to a tea party than to the Political Forum of fifteen years ago.

I was posting here fifteen year ago under a name too much like my real name. The difference is now having the ability to "ignore" people. The posts are the same: the only difference -- you can choose to never see them.