Of Two Minds About Posting This-I'm On A Deathwatch

Gar1eth
This topic is 2578 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My deepest sympathy to you, Gman, and my admiration. The next few days may be hard but the real hard part is more likely to be when life returns to "normal," which, of course, it isn't. Be there for your mother and family, and let them be there for you. And hold on to the knowledge that you were there for this. You may have felt powerless, you may not know how much your father knew, you may think of things you wish you'd said or done, but no matter. You were there, and did what you could. None of us can do more than that, when it comes down to it.

I've come so late to this thread that I can only and to the many condolences already offered. But I'd also like to thank the Gman for giving us the opportunity to see again what a wonderful caring community this unique group can be.

Peace Gman. It's now your due.

Just to let y'all know-we had a graveyard service last week on Thursday. It was supposed to be very hot. But it turned out to be just slightly overcast, and we had a nice breeze. So for a funeral it turned out to be a really nice day.

My siblings came up with the idea (from a recent almost family member's death) of us saying something at the funeral. I wasn't happy-not that I didn't want to memorialize my Dad. But I hate writing, and I was afraid I would break down while saying something. But I started thinking about what to say. Plus because my Dad died on the first day of Passover (Monday) we had to delay the the funeral until Thursday (normally Jewish funerals are to be performed as soon as possible to show respect for the deceased).

So I had a few days extra to come up with something, and I did. I also broke down. But so did my siblings. All in all my siblings and I spoke, as well as my nieces and my nephew.

At the Shiva service that afternoon (Shiva is the period of 7 days following the funeral. For Conservative and Reform Judaism, there is a formal service usually at the deceased's home that evening to support the mourners. Usually the people who attend bring food.) there was a bit of levity. A three year old family member was attending the Shiva service. We opened the prayer book to start, and the three year old suddenly declaimed , "Once upon a time..."

I didn't want to leave right away. So I've stayed in Dallas. But I'm going home tomorrow. It's hard. But life goes on.

Gman

I thought the above post was going to be my last in this thread, but I was remiss in not thanking all of you who posted for the support and for all those who sent silent prayers and good wishes to my family.

Gman

That's one of the great thing about this forum. So many kind and gentle souls.

Peace and love to you. You made it through valiantly. Have no regrets and relish the good memories.

Archived