FUED

mmk123
This topic is 2573 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I agree with mmk above. I assumed 80% of America's gay population were tuned in to watch this camp fest of costuming. The acting and script were actually pretty good. I wonder if folks at the time realized how "golden" this era and especially these two actors were?

Peace,

Kipp

I wonder if folks at the time realized how "golden" this era and especially these two actors were?

I saw the film a few days after it was released in 1962 (I believe). No I did not realize it was was going to be a hit and make money. Bette Davis and especially Joan Crawford seems way of of date for someone like me, just starting college. I remember seeing Crawford on a talk show acting sweet and nice. I preferred Bette Davis, but knew she was not even the star on Broadway of Tennessee William's play "The Night of the Iguana." Her role was colorful but Davis was apparently seldom on stage.

There are too many Joan Crawford appearances, so I chose Judy Garland's ONLY time as mystery guest. What was not know until years later: she arrived at the studio just a few minutes before she was to sign in as the mystery guest. Judy asked the director how much time she had. He said, about a 90 seconds.. Garland: "So why is everyone so upset?"

I was watching Whatever Happened to Baby Jane on television the other night (they were running Oscar-nominated flics) and in the scene where Baby Jane (Davis) is kicking the snot out of her sister Blanche (Crawford) I couldn't help but wonder how much perverse pleasure Davis must have gotten out of that scene. Watching these two divas on screen is like watching a scorpion and black widow in a death struggle.

From what I've read online nearly 94% of gay men are boycotting FEUD because of Susan Sarandon. Apparently she said she didn't support Hillary Clinton (or something basic like that). I still like her. I like Jessica Lange as well, even though her being cast as Patsy Cline in Sweet Dreams was... practically insane.

The only feud that existed was in Bette Davis' mind. She was one nasty piece of work. She was a bitch of the first order and she couldn't stand that Crawford was always polite. So she tormented her. That's not behavior anyone should applaud. Crawford finally had enough and got her revenge, then backed out of the follow-up film Hush Hush Sweet Charlotte.

As the years have gone by, Davis' performances often look more and more dated and more and more awful. Apart from All About Eve, she is pretty much unwatchable after 1946. She became a cartoon after that, while Crawford did some of her best work in that period. Davis' best work came for director William Wyler. But she spent the next 40 years being a creature, not an actress.

Very few actresses could match Davis at her best but almost no actress was as bad when Davis sucked, which was a great deal of the time.

In TV interviews, the two women played very different roles after "What Happened to Baby Jane?" Davis was blunt and funny. Crawford was too nice. I remember a talk show host asked Crawford about Howard Hughes' recent divorce in 1970. Crawford apparently did not know about the divorce and became extremely upset in a lady like way.

https://www.operanews.com/Opera_News_Magazine/2014/8/Features/Stage_Fright.html

The story of Bette Davis and the Broadway musical "Miss Moffat"

"Josh Logan had told us never to mention to Bette that he had wanted Mary Martin. One day Bette was holding the script and Josh said, 'You don't need it.' They had a tug of war over it. Bette yelled right in his face, 'Why don't you get Mary to do it.'"

That paragraph indicates that Bette may have needed an enemy, any enemy, even though Mary Martin's husband had just died.

Archived