FUED

mmk123
This topic is 2570 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply
...And I know it's just a poetic device for Crawford's final days, but using a Doors song ("The End") seems incongruous with anything to do with Crawford. From what I can tell, she was as far removed from '60s counterculture as anyone of her generation.

This whole series was peppered with a hit-em-over-the head with a sledge hammer approach to make a point. In various episodes you can hear pop tunes of the era playing in the background such as "Town Without Pity", "Catch A Falling Star", and "You Don't Own Me". Too 'on the nose' as they used to tell us in film school.

Guest DeepSouthDad53
This whole series was peppered with a hit-em-over-the head with a sledge hammer approach to make a point. In various episodes you can hear pop tunes of the era playing in the background such as "Town Without Pity", "Catch A Falling Star", and "You Don't Own Me". Too 'on the nose' as they used to tell us in film school.

That's interesting, Boink. So I take it Ryan Murphy did not go to film school? I know next to nothing about him and had not heard of him before all the hype began for this series in January. Or is he one of those guys that worked his way into directing, etc?

Ryan Murphy - Not exactly a newbie!

Series Original run Role

Popular 1999–2001 (The WB) Co-creator

Nip/Tuck 2003–10 (FX) Creator

Glee 2009–15 (Fox) Co-creator

American Horror Story 2011–present (FX) Co-creator

The New Normal 2012–13 (NBC) Co-creator

Scream Queens 2015–present (Fox) Co-creator

American Crime Story 2016–present (FX) Executive producer

Feud 2017–present (FX) Co-creator

I also thought the "Joan Crawford's dead.....good" line from Bette was a surprising lapse of bad taste into camp from Murphy. That joke has done the rounds for years and am sure is apocryphal -the notion that Bette would say it online to a reporter right after Crawford's death was more than a stretch.

I agree. I thoroughly enjoyed the series, particularly the first and last episodes. But I was taken aback by the use of that dubious line. Davis would never have said that to an AP reporter. And I know it's just a poetic device for Crawford's final days, but using a Doors song ("The End") seems incongruous with anything to do with Crawford. From what I can tell, she was as far removed from '60s counterculture as anyone of her generation.

Yes she did say that about Crawford when

[commenting on the death of long-time nemesis Joan Crawford] You should never say bad things about the dead, you should only say good . . . Joan Crawford is dead. Good.

[commenting on the death of long-time nemesis Joan Crawford] You should never say bad things about the dead, you should only say good . . . Joan Crawford is dead. Good.

How are you sure of this?

How are you sure of this?

Davis probably did say at some point, but very unlikely to a reporter who was informing her of Crawford's death.

Yes, how do you know this? it is a funny story, but I always thought apocryphal-can you provide a source for its accuracy?

Archived