TSA no longer to accept driver license from 8 states :(

bigjoey
This topic is 2679 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I don't do much international traveling yet having a passport has proven convenient over the years. It's worth getting one as a valid backup ID.

I wonder if this decision will stand though. People in those states aren't going to be happy...

As a frequent traveler I've been following this issue for years. The TSA has pushed back this deadline requirement several times to give states time to comply. Until recently Virginia and California were not in compliance.

This law has been on the books since 2005 and still there are states not in compliance. That's ridiculous. TSA has moved this deadline to allow states time to implement the necessary procedures and install equipment. It's not like this issue snuck up on the states and TSA is pulling a bureaucratic power play. i expect that TSA will extend the deadline one more time but maybe the agency is fed up and these states will have to deal with the consequences.

As a frequent traveler I've been following this issue for years. The TSA has pushed back this deadline requirement several times to give states time to comply. Until recently Virginia and California were not in compliance.

This law has been on the books since 2005 and still there are states not in compliance. That's ridiculous. TSA has moved this deadline to allow states time to implement the necessary procedures and install equipment. It's not like this issue snuck up on the states and TSA is pulling a bureaucratic power play. i expect that TSA will extend the deadline one more time but maybe the agency is fed up and these states will have to deal with the consequences.

The article does mention that California was one of several more states that have moved toward compliance but which needs to do more. Apparently they have moved enough that they are not on the list of states which are being named this time.

The 9/11 hijackers used driver's licenses, obtained from states with very lax requirements, as their form of ID in 2001. The law requiring stricter standards for licenses, which was a response to the 9/11 investigation, wasn't passed until 2005. It is now 2017. How long should it take for a state to revamp its licensing procedures?! On the other hand, how many US flights have been hijacked since 9/11 by terrorists using driver's license ID? Was this an unnecessary solution to a problem?

The 9/11 hijackers used driver's licenses, obtained from states with very lax requirements, as their form of ID in 2001. The law requiring stricter standards for licenses, which was a response to the 9/11 investigation, wasn't passed until 2005. It is now 2017. How long should it take for a state to revamp its licensing procedures?! On the other hand, how many US flights have been hijacked since 9/11 by terrorists using driver's license ID? Was this an unnecessary solution to a problem?

<Sarcasm>

Now suppose, just suppose, the trump administration decides to outsource [read privatize] security at airports; would the additional regulations be perceived as bureaucratic red tape interfering with business? Oh, wait ... maybe they already have

</Sarcasm>

Getting through German security has been a problem lately. I had an issue at the Munich airport but was able to convince the German official to let me through to my flight to Newark, NJ.

If my skin was dark, I might still be at the Munich airport....not meant as an anti-German comment.

How much does compliance cost, and is the federal government helping with that or not?

That's a good question. I'm guessing it's not cheap. This was likely another unfunded mandate from Congress at the time the legislation was passed. That's not to say federal money was not forthcoming via other mechanisms later.

It’s not just about the difficulty and expense, although these are significant factors. A number of states have passed laws specifically refusing to comply out of concerns around privacy and resistance to the idea of a national ID card. http://www.pressherald.com/2016/10/12/homeland-security-wont-extend-deadline-for-maine-compliance-with-federal-id-law/ According to this article,

“Conservative libertarians and liberal privacy advocates balk at the requirement that the cards would eventually have an infrared chip containing such personal information as Social Security numbers – machine readable from several feet away. While critics argue that having a central databank could dramatically increase identity theft, DHS contends the secure nature of the ID would decrease it.” http://www.csmonitor.com/2007/1105/p02s01-usgn.html

If you’re wondering what “DHS” stands for in this quote, it’s the Department of “Homeland Security.” The agency also claims that a standardized identification system with everyone’s personal information, which could be cross-checked against various state and federal databases, “would be helpful in maintaining security.” Of course, this is also the agency that spearheaded the RB raid, so some people might wonder if this is more about maintaining surveillance and control over people than it is about protecting them from terrorists.

As is a Global Entry ID, which can be used as a valid government identification just about anywhere in the States.

https://www.cbp.gov/travel/trusted-traveler-programs/global-entry

+1 and it also gives you Precheck which has been a real time saver. Will be even a bigger time saver in a couple weeks if the rumors are true that they are going to stop giving out precheck at Random and only to people with a TTN. Only problem is a lot of people can't pass the background check. It's my understanding that even if someone was foolish and received a disorderly conduct or DUI in college 40 years ago they won't qualify. BUt people can still qualify for precheck pretty easy.

Delta started giving out clear to their diamonds as a benefit recently and that has been a huge timesaver as well.

+1 and it also gives you Precheck which has been a real time saver. Will be even a bigger time saver in a couple weeks if the rumors are true that they are going to stop giving out precheck at Random and only to people with a TTN. Only problem is a lot of people can't pass the background check. It's my understanding that even if someone was foolish and received a disorderly conduct or DUI in college 40 years ago they won't qualify. BUt people can still qualify for precheck pretty easy.

Delta started giving out clear to their diamonds as a benefit recently and that has been a huge timesaver as well.

The TSA has needed to pull back on letting non-fully vetted fliers from accessing PreCheck. I never understood why they allowed fliers without a TTN through in the first place.

I have CLEAR as a backup, as you can continually renegotiate with them on renewal fees. They're friendly to deal with, but more of a go-between for the frequent flier.

I have CLEAR as a backup, as you can continually renegotiate with them on renewal fees. They're friendly to deal with, but more of a go-between for the frequent flier.

The main disadvantage to CLEAR is they are in so few airports. As of today, CLEAR is at only 22 airports, nationwide.

There are plans to soon increase to number of airports having CLEAR available;

See this:

http://www.usatoday.com/story/travel/flights/todayinthesky/2017/01/25/clear-program/97038406/

The TSA has needed to pull back on letting non-fully vetted fliers from accessing PreCheck. I never understood why they allowed fliers without a TTN through in the first place.

And it's unfair for those of us that have paid for a TTN and gone through the background check to get stuck behind people who rarely fly and are clueless as to how it works. Really dismisses the value for us and it makes no sense that they are using an expectided speeding line without a background check.

Clear works great with precheck and a lot more airports just received clear lanes since Delta is giving it for free to diamonds. It's been at Detroit for a few months and just opened up at LGA, JFK and atlanta. I wish it would come to Ohare

I applied for and was grant Global Entry status about six months after the program was initiated. It is good for five years and I have already renewed is once. I travel twice a year to Puerto Vallarta with only carry-on baggage thus once I’m off the plane and into the immigration arrival lounge I’m out of the airport in a fraction of the time it used to take me. On return flights from Europe the hold up for me is not immigration but rather waiting for my damn baggage to come down. Since the TSA finally got wise to the background checks done by Global Entry the departure screening line is also much easier – it took them long enough to decide to piggy back.

Here in Kentucky GOOBERnor Bevis, leader of the Bluegrass Teatard family, vetoed a bill from our state legislature in October that would have set Kentucky in compliance. He said he needed more time to figure out if "Real I.D." actually means what it says - implying that the conspiracy-minded Goobernor suspects it is a ploy by the Feds to keep track of all of us. However, this giant intellect recently assured Kentuckians not to worry as he is a good buddy of the Trumpster and his Vice Mikey of Columbus, Indiana. And he's right, as I can envisage an Executive Order being signed and Tweeted any day now.

Archived