Oscar Thoughts 2005

joel304
This topic is 7027 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

1. Chris Rock: He delivered a very funny monologue, but the humor appeared a little forced as the show progressed.

2. Leonardo: Looked very cute and should have won. I hope the Academy finally recognizes his talent.

3. Martin Scorsese: I can't believe that he hasn't won an Oscar yet. Unbelievable.

4. Dustin Hoffman: Was he drunk or having a stroke? I haven't heard any commentary on this.

5. Nick Lachey & Barbie: Their appearance at the after party was laughable. I can't believe people watch their shit. She looked like a hooker circa 1930 as well.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I didn't get to see Chris Rock at the beginning of the show (I was actually at the movies, seeing "The Aviator", and only got home just in time to see Cate Blanchett get her deserved award for it), but Rock seemed very subdued, even boring (bored?) in the later hours.

Dustin Hoffman did seem so completely out of it that I, too, immediately assumed he was drunk or stoned, but he did manage to read the names correctly.

And what about Al Pacino, who looked like he had slept on the street all day? Or Sean Penn, who looked like he had been sleeping with him?

Guest ReturnOfS

I didn't even realize that the Oscars were this past weekend until I work up this morning. Oh well. Theres always next year. :-)

I was satisfied with the winners for the most part. I do wish that Don Cheadle could have won something for his role in "Hotel Rwanda". With so many good actors to chose from for the Best Actor award, too bad there can only be one. Morgan Freeman's suggestion, from last year, of having all the best actors come on stage and take a bow, as opposed to chosing one doesn't sound so bad right now.

Oh well.

>3. Martin Scorsese: I can't believe that he hasn't won an

>Oscar yet. Unbelievable.

More proof that Oscar is a big popularity contest. If anyone has the talent and history to be called "Academy Award Winning" Martin Scorsese fits that label perfectly. He is such the total, modern director. I really thought "Aviator" would get Scorsese an Oscar. Am very disappointed that it didn't.

--EBG

Returnof,

Yeah I had no clue they were on last night. Havent watched much pay TV lately.

I read Benjamin Nicholas' 15 minutes and learned what I missed. That kid can write so if ya want a real funny overview, hit up the site.

Tonight I will be watching one of my new favorite shows "Medium"

Its gonna be a really fucked up one tonight, so if ya like that shit, then watch it !!!!

I thought Chris Rock was so far out of his element that I was emberassed for him.This is the movies big night and to slam leading players in the industry-who have done nothing to deserve it-is rude and out of place-this is not a friars roast.

I also found his "poll"of african-american movie goers a horrid insult to his own people.I am sure there were people that he interviwed that had seen the Aviator etc....I would invite him to the Arclight or the cinemateque-and interview african americans coming out of that theater.

The whole production was amature hour-just a horrible waste of money.

I do hope they fire Gil Cates-the man has made a farce out of this celebration of American Cinema.

You know, it's funny...When I was a kid, the Academy Awards were this magical evening, and I was filled with anticipation and glee. Now I live on the same street as the Kodak Theatre, just one block away from it. My street is closed off five days before and two days after the event. It also is impossible to go out on the night of the show because there are limousines everywhere and every club is closed for an Oscar party. So now I just think of it as an annoyance than anything else.

Growing up an east coaster, after the show is over it feels like midnight, but it actually ended here quite early last night. It kind of amuses me, the shift of perception.

As far as the winners, Hilary Swank came off as a spoiled brat during her acceptance speech. What a coward she is. She makes a movie that has some controversy and when asked about it, her response is basically, "I'm just an actress. I don't really have opinions on these sorts of things. I just play a role." Meanwhile, Dirty Harry responds with "F**k you. I made a movie with a point."

I wish that "A Very Long Engagement" had picked up more nominations. Jean-Pierre Jeunet is an amazing director (Amelie, City of Lost Children, Delicatessen), and his latest movie was wonderful.

I guess people really liked "The Aviator," but I prefer my Martin Scorcese violent and bloody. It was a good movie, but didn't deserve to sweep the categories like, oh, "Chicago" did a few years back.

Good times.

This has all been said by now, 24 hrs later..BUT I will say it again...2005 Oscar's will definitely go down as one of the Big Bombs of all time! Once C.Rock did his opening act, the rest was downhill for him.. If it wasn't for the Few gracious acceptance speeches, from mainly the Big Winner's, total Bore..Even in that area, most of the Winners, were the odds on Favs, no real Drama there.. The camera shots of all the empty seats, at least 2 people I noticed nodding off, bulbs exploding, mikes forgotten..And what was with the acceptance speeches playing directly to the TV Viewers? Those poor "non-winners", having to stand on the stage. Robin Williams, always the TRUE Comic genius of the time! Al Pacino has basically "looked and acted" the same way for along time..S. Penn same story, same over the Top Attitude..D.Hoffman always kooky, but Lovable...One of the few Fun originial C. Rock statements. Here come the Fokker's.Although that was probably a good reminder to go see "The Movie" All hype.. little substance..Welcome to LaLaLand..

>It was a good movie, but didn't deserve to sweep the categories

>like, oh, "Chicago" did a few years back.

As you know, I agree with you about Chicago. But wasn't it just last year? ;-)

I liked that they kept the show moving, although all the thumps and noises from backstage during set changes were downright amateurish. I hated the presentations in the audience, but it's one way to keep things moving along.

People have complained about the "losers" standing on stage ... but isn't that what Morgan Freeman ASKED FOR last year? Have all nominees on stage? After all, it IS an honor being nominated. (And it's another mechanism for keeping things moving by not having hoards of awardees wade their way to the stage.)

As far as I'm concerned, the only comedian in the house was Robin Williams.

This was one of the worst and most boring Academy Awards I have ever seen. I always love to watch them and can't wait to see them every year. There was no magic or energy at all like there usually is and I think Chris Rock is to blame. Plus the movies and stars were not that great to begin with and there seemed to be a lack of major star power in the audience and on stage. Plus no memerable "wow" factor gowns or fashions. Very tame and boring all around.

There was a hilarious special on the "WE" channel hosted by Sandra Bernhard and a funny gay guy that was better than the oscars! It was called " live from the ladies lounge" and was on during the commercial breaks only and they dished on the oscars as they were happening. I agreeed with all of Sandra's witty observations. I , like she, thought Chris rock was dreadful and bombed. She thought it was like the BET channel and he was way too heavy on the racial jokes. Must every comment be about race? He introduced John Travolta as Oprah Winfrey's favorite "white" actor. Can you imagine Billy Chrystal saying now here is Oprah's favorite "black" actor Denzil Washington! he needs to get over it, it's so boring. I actually looked more forward for a commercial break so I could switch over and watch them!

Speaking of Oprah, she has a little too much exposure lately and seemed to be the mother hen almost making sure her chosen few were the winners. I did see "Ray" and thought Jamie Fox was brilliant and deserved the award. And what was with Beyonce singing nearly every song nominated? They couldn't afford anyone else? very medioce performances by all the musical performers. I didn't care for the streamlined nominations onstage and in the audience to move things along. It was all too forced and rushed. That is part of the fun knowing it's going to be a long night and they all deserve to be able to walk on stage like the big guys and get their awards! The whole show was horribly contrived and lacked any spark or magic.

Where was everyone? The only star power at the very end was gweneth paltrow and julia roberts at the very end. where was Jack Nichalson? Brad Pitt? Tom Cruise? Nicole Kidman? Anjolnia Jolie? Uma? Sigorny? Cloony? The oscars needed more star power, but I guess they were smart and stayed home and knew it was gonna be a boring night! Yawn...oh well, there is always next year!

Guest zipperzone

>The oscars needed more star

>power, but I guess they were smart and stayed home and knew it

>was gonna be a boring night! Yawn...oh well, there is always

>next year!

Oh God, I hope not. One evening of this high school amateur show is more than enough. I used to look forward to Oscar night with great expectations. After last night I don't care if I ever see one again.

Would love to hear what Simon Cowell (American Idol) would say about this bomb!

Guest Fruit

>

>4. Dustin Hoffman: Was he drunk or having a stroke? I

>haven't heard any commentary on this.

>

He is always like that in public appearances. He tends to mumble and slur his words. Watch his character in Sleepers he sounds nearly the same as last night.

For a Hollywood production, what a bomb. It reminded me of a high school awards show. The producer (his name escapes me) should be fired. It looked confused from the beginning.

Chris Rock's monologue was funny, but inappropriate for this venue. It's like make booby jokes at a breast cancer function. The MC is supposed to host and bring together.

Well this is not going to pertain to anything on here but I thought id give my two cents worth…I have never liked the academy awards and it all spawns from a day 8 years ago when I watched Patton.

I thought that it was one of the best movies I had ever seen and thought George C. Scott should be in films all over the place! But I asked my father why we never saw him in anything anymore…His response was simple and to the point. He was black balled because he turned down an academy award! But why would such a man give up such a high reward?

George C. Scott in essence refused the award because it was all a show and not a true award for great performance or a true art but a façade….I only aspire to be such a man!

The only person I saw last night that I can say is such a great actor and true person is Johnny Depp and we all know that Garden State was the best movie this year! But like I said that’s my two cents.

Before you get too carried away with George C. Scott, you should know that he was a notorious woman beater, including beating Ava Gardner to a pulp. In those days, men could get away with this type of heinous behaviour. Today his sorry ass would be slammed into jail. Hollywood is (and was) a small town. I can't imagine he was Mr. Popularity, no matter what his acting skills were. As a human being, he sucked. x(

George C. Scott worked steadily in movies for at least a decade after PATTON. Also, when he was nominated for a supporting actor Oscar in 1962 for THE HUSTLER, he also turned down that nomination. (It didn't cause as much of a stir because he didn't win that year.) That didn't seem to slow his brilliant career down either.

George C Scott the most memorable movie for me I believe was called "The Hospital" made in the 70's..Not a big movie, just a good movie...The Original E.R...He definitely lived up to a colorful reputation... He definitely had many flaws, But lived his life on his terms, "Patton" was the right part... at the right time.. for him... :+ :+ :+

Archived