Holiday Wishes

BasketBaller
This topic is 2182 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Pausing in the preparation to wish everyone good times in the days ahead, whether you celebrate any specific holiday or not. I'm grateful for the virtual friendships I've made here, and your sympathetic ears have made it easy to share my experiences, something I've done nowhere else.

As my impending empty-nester status gets ever closer, I realize that the boys will be dealing with separation, too. The twins have always shared a room, even turning down the chance for one to move into their brother's room when he left for college. They're not applying to any of the same colleges, so whether they get their first choice or not, they will be apart for the first extended period of their lives.

I sense that they are feeling that and spending even more time together, usually double-dating these days when they didn't used to. This morning I heard something that floored me. Some twins develop a language of their own as babies, but mine didn't really, except for one word. Just as they were starting to talk, they called each other "Ayah," pronounced AH-yuh. We used to joke that they were Maine lobstermen in another life. They'd greet each other or call each other by that word until they started talking more and using their real names. They're Pete and Matt, but at first called each other Peke and Mack, and those remained family pet names for years until they started objecting.

This morning they were in the kitchen making cookies, and I heard one of them say, "Ayah, hand me that bowl." I hadn't thought of that in years, and wasn't even sure they remembered they had once called each other that. I went in and asked them about them using it and they looked completely puzzled. They said they use it all the time. When I said I hadn't heard them call each other that since they were babies, they told me they only use it when they're alone together, but they always use it then. Later their brother told me he knew they called each other that but they got mad if he ever did. I guess "Ayah" means you-person-who-looks-just-like-me or something.

I don't know why I like this discovery so much, but I do. I am treasuring us all being together for now. I hope you're with people you treasure, too.

From that statement, I assume they're identical as opposed to fraternal?

~Boomer ~

Like peas in a pod. They were monoamniotic, sharing one placenta. I can tell them apart when they're together but if one walks into the room it's anyone's guess. Oddly, their brother never confuses them. They've sometimes had different hairstyles so that helps. But just now they both have buzzcuts and it's impossible.

• 1 year later...