Would you Give HIM a Lift ?

jjkrkwood

• 4 years later...

a3b9dea6be8b470a41aa18a03393c1af045bed07.jpg

Oh, My, God! That image takes me back to the exciting days -and nights- of cruising Santa Monica Boulevard in the '80s, looking for the local talent. Not all were good catches, but the fishing was delightful. I do miss those days, as well as bars like Numbers (on Sunset) and Rounds (New York), places where "young entrepreneurs went to meet older financiers." Thank you for the glimpse along Memory Lane.

What do you think was the best hustler bar back then. Both in LA and in NY?

My favorite in LA was Numbers. I liked the booths and the fact they had a full menu, which could occasion asking a younger patron, "Have you eaten yet? Please join me for dinner." They usually went for the chance of a free meal, and it provided the opportunity to get to know the young man a bit better before what would hopefully come later.

But I also loved a somewhat more rowdy/sleazy place called Hunter's on Santa Monica (7500 block?). Pool table and beer crowd, but some of the hottest boys in town on a good night. I still fondly remember a very handsome and well-built boy who went by TJ that I met there. Took him down to Huntington Beach for a weekend -his pick of location- and did nothing all weekend but him. Saw him several times.

Rounds was a Numbers-like scene in NYC, and a very interesting and target-rich environment, from both perspectives. But most of my hiring in NYC was from the Pink Pages of the Advocate. For some reason, I was never much into the New York bar scene, so really can't speak to any besides Rounds.

• 2 weeks later...

My favorite in LA was Numbers. I liked the booths and the fact they had a full menu, which could occasion asking a younger patron, "Have you eaten yet? Please join me for dinner." They usually went for the chance of a free meal, and it provided the opportunity to get to know the young man a bit better before what would hopefully come later.

But I also loved a somewhat more rowdy/sleazy place called Hunter's on Santa Monica (7500 block?). Pool table and beer crowd, but some of the hottest boys in town on a good night. I still fondly remember a very handsome and well-built boy who went by TJ that I met there. Took him down to Huntington Beach for a weekend -his pick of location- and did nothing all weekend but him. Saw him several times.

Rounds was a Numbers-like scene in NYC, and a very interesting and target-rich environment, from both perspectives. But most of my hiring in NYC was from the Pink Pages of the Advocate. For some reason, I was never much into the New York bar scene, so really can't speak to any besides Rounds.

Decent food at Numbers too, miss it. Scott Adler took me first time and introduced me around.

I hope that Scott is doing well. Haven't heard his name for a while.

I connected with him on one of the business networking sites a few years ago. He sent a friendly reply seeming to remember me but I did not pursue it further, or have not yet anyway. According to his profile he got his Masters in Psychology.

• 1 year later...