It Had To Happen Eventually

BasketBaller
This topic is 2521 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Congratulations to your son for making the first cut. But a good military leader always tries to have a backup plan.

The USNA is not the only source for gaining a Naval commission. Far more individuals obtain their officer commission through NROTC / ROTC College programs. Many offer various financial Scholarships.

http://www.nrotc.navy.mil/scholarships.html

Another commissioning source is Officer Candidate School (OCS).

http://www.ocs.navy.mil/ocs_program_overview.html

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply
He's definitely also going for NROTC at several schools. One way or another, he'll get that commission, I'm sure. USNA is top choice because his grandad went there.

It sounds like your son won't need it when he gets in since y'all live in DC. But I have a friend who lives fairly close to Annapolis who has participated in some type of program where he and his wife are a host family for a midshipman (is that the term for a student at Annapolis?). He's described for me having a couple of cadet foster sons. Have you ever looked into being a 'host father'?

Gman

c

It sounds like your son won't need it when he gets in since y'all live in DC. But I have a friend who lives fairly close to Annapolis who has participated in some type of program where he and his wife are a host family for a midshipman (is that the term for a student at Annapolis?). He's described for me having a couple of cadet foster sons. Have you ever looked into being a 'host father'?

Gman

I know that program, they're called sponsor families. Yes, once my boys are away I am thinking of doing it. And yes, they're midshipmen. West Point and the Air Force Academy have cadets

c

I know that program, they're called sponsor families. Yes, once my boys are away I am thinking of doing it. And yes, they're midshipmen. West Point and the Air Force Academy have cadets

While I believe it is noble to sponsor a midshipman, how will that impact your life in general? Your sex life?

While I believe it is noble to sponsor a midshipman, how will that impact your life in general? Your sex life?

It might be crazy of me-- my kids move out and I import more! Which is exactly why I'm still just thinking about it. It would affect my Saturdays mostly, since the Mids often only are free to go anywhere Saturday afternoon and evening. But I'll weigh things carefully.

It might be crazy of me-- my kids move out and I import more! Which is exactly why I'm still just thinking about it. It would affect my Saturdays mostly, since the Mids often only are free to go anywhere Saturday afternoon and evening. But I'll weigh things carefully.

Would it require every Saturday?

Gman

• 8 months later...

Archived