A humbling and sincere thank-you...

Robster
This topic is 2785 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I'm home!!! Finally out of the hospital, and on the road to a full recovery.

My vision isn't quite back where it was yet, but it seems to be improving. One of the lingering effects of Stevens-Johnson Syndrome is dry eyes, so I'm on three different kinds of eye drops, to make sure they stay moist and medicated.

I also need to get my strength back. I lost 20 pounds in the hospital. At 5'11", I'm down to a ridiculously low 142 pounds. I need to get some meat back on these bones!

I just sat down and read the thread Wayne started, and the many responses. I'll never be able to thank you enough for your incredible generosity, and the unbelievable outpouring of support, advice and kind thoughts. The worst part of this ordeal for me was the fact that I couldn't help Wayne get through it. I was either unconscious, or lying like a lump in my hospital bed while he and the nurses took care of me. You were all there for him when I couldn't be, and I'll never forget that.

I look forward to thanking you all in person next year in Palm Springs. But until then, please know how eternally grateful I am. I love you all.

Rob

It's wonderful you are finally on the road to recovery. What you went through is not only draining to those around you (Wayne esp) but to yourself. Don't try to do too much too soon. Put the weight on slowly and work it so it's good weight. You may soon find yourself in the best shape you have been in a long time!

Now you and Wayne need to cuddle a lot!! :rolleyes:

I cannot recommend a rehab program any more strongly. After I was in the hospital a few months ago, the reality of life just hit me and I sat around the house and moped and felt tired and weak. Going to rehab not only allowed me to slowly get back into exercising, but it helped me psychologically. It gave me a sense of control after I had been in a situation in which I had none. The rehab facility I was attending also had some hot looking therapists and a few clients who were rehabilitating athletic injuries, so that was an extra incentive to get there. Most insurance companies will pay for physical therapy sessions or rehabilitation sessions if you have a prescription from your doctor. Your doctor should give you one without question. So perhaps come April, we will see a restored Rob with 20 pounds of muscle on your frame.

Keep up the good work and the recovery and say hello to Seakow for me.

You two weren't the only beneficiaries. I, and, I think, others, were thrilled to be of use and to be part of a worthy group effort that directly helped our friends. It's well and good to donate to the United Way or other funds, but it warmed my heart to join my bros on this site to actually DO something and share the results! I'm so sorry that this happened to you, but the full-hearted response and genuine caring of the group has been filed under "Faith in Mankind, Restoration of".

So glad you are home! Here's to a steady, full recovery. See you in PS. Karaoke would be no fun without you!

Sorry about that. I'm doing much better, now that I'm recovering at home. I'm getting my appetite back, and have started putting back some of the weight I lost while I was in the hospital. My vision is steadily improving, to the point where I was able to drive yesterday for the first time since I got sick. My energy level has increased drastically, probably due to the fact that I'm eating again. Things are finally starting to get back to normal for us, which is very good news.

We're driving to Vegas in the morning. My dad was diagnosed with terminal cancer earlier this year. He started to get worse recently, just as I started to get better. He passed away two days ago. We weren't able to be there in time to see him before he died, but we're going out there to be with my stepmom, who's been like a mom to me for 30 years, and my brothers. They're having a memorial service for him Monday evening, so I'm glad we'll get to be there for that.

I'll be returning to work a week from Monday. It feels like the last step in getting our lives back to normal. It's been a rough month, that's for sure!

Rob

I was sorry to read about the loss of your father. These kind of life transitions are tough. I am glad you are physically able to travel there and that you are getting stronger in general. I know Wayne will make sure you do not overdo it and that he will be a solid shoulder upon which you can lean and rest your head. Continue to get well.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry I haven't posted an update in a while. Things are pretty much back to normal for me and Wayne, finally. We both went back to work this past Monday. It was quite an adjustment, of course, after being on leave these past five weeks. Lots of work to catch up on! But it's really nice to get back to our usual routine. My appetite is back, and I'm still working on putting back all the weight I lost in the hospital. I've still got about ten pounds to go, but that shouldn't take long.

Thank you all again for your amazing support and generosity. You helped us both get through an incredibly difficult period, and we really appreciate it!

Rob

Sorry I haven't posted an update in a while. Things are pretty much back to normal for me and Wayne, finally. We both went back to work this past Monday. It was quite an adjustment, of course, after being on leave these past five weeks. Lots of work to catch up on! But it's really nice to get back to our usual routine. My appetite is back, and I'm still working on putting back all the weight I lost in the hospital. I've still got about ten pounds to go, but that shouldn't take long.

Thank you all again for your amazing support and generosity. You helped us both get through an incredibly difficult period, and we really appreciate it!

Rob

Rob. Glad to hear you are on the mend. Was really concerned when Ace told me about your illness when I met him in LV. Deepest sympathy on the loss of your Dad. We are all here for you.

Rob . . . So happy you are so much better and very sorry to hear about your father.

Please don't be in such a hurry to get back that last 10 lbs - just eat healthy, get plenty of exercise ( :rolleyes:).

That weight will come back eventually and when and where you least want it!

Archived