Houseboy-sugar daddy situation? Yay or Nay?

marylander1940
This topic is 2096 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Another thought: check with a lawyer.

I had a live-in partner for only a few months. He paid nothing to me in rent nor did he financially support the household. (It's a long story....) When the relationship soured, I asked him to leave; unsurprisingly, he wasn't happy to do so. I did check with my attorney about getting this man out of my home. My lawyer told me that I may have to go through the legal system to have him formally evicted (which would take months...) if the man didn't leave voluntarily. This prospect scared the crap out of me and, truthfully, has made me leery of any future live-in situation, relationship or otherwise.

Sorry to be a wet blanket here. Hope my experience can be instructional.

• 4 weeks later...
I've done this in the recent past with 2 young men, separately of course. Both times it worked out well. It definitely was not platonic.

I was clear at the outset on what my needs were and when I expected them to be met. Similarly, I helped the young man define his needs and goals by discussing how I could help him. I found the experience delightful because I enjoy the company of polite, well-educated and attractive young men.

The surprises to me were threefold:

1. I had to set boundaries early on with one man. I explained that I wasn't a parent and so I was not obliged to take care of everything for him.

2. I had not realised how much and how often young men eat (and drink) when they are physically active.

3. Bonds of affection grew quite quickly. On leaving, each man expressed his love for me and how much living with me had helped. (And I remain close to both men)

MscleLovr,

Thank you so much for your comment. Its very illuminating.

Could you tell us more about #1? What lead you to having to set boundaries? What were those boundaries? Was the boundary setting successful? Why was that relationship different in its need for boundary setting compared to the other 2 relationships?

Now that you are experienced in this matter, what words of advice would you give someone considering such an arrangement?

Do you have any suggestions to a "Daddy" in how to find a sugarbaby who is emotionally healthy? What are some red flags you discovered that you weren't aware of before?

What would you do differently given if the chance to go back in time? What would you do exactly the same?

Feel free to answer all, some or none of my questions. It's just refreshing to find a man experienced in this area and willing to be generous with sharing their story that others might benefit.

Warmest regards.

And thank you for what you have already shared. It's very helpful.

I've done this in the recent past with 2 young men, separately of course. Both times it worked out well. It definitely was not platonic.

I was clear at the outset on what my needs were and when I expected them to be met. Similarly, I helped the young man define his needs and goals by discussing how I could help him. I found the experience delightful because I enjoy the company of polite, well-educated and attractive young men.

The surprises to me were threefold:

1. I had to set boundaries early on with one man. I explained that I wasn't a parent and so I was not obliged to take care of everything for him.

2. I had not realised how much and how often young men eat (and drink) when they are physically active.

3. Bonds of affection grew quite quickly. On leaving, each man expressed his love for me and how much living with me had helped. (And I remain close to both men)

Where did these encounters occur?

When I said, "Yes" to this idea above, it was to the Disney fairy tale (pardon the expression) version....a gorgeous young man living in, me with lots of money, libido and endurance, he with all the right equipment, the honesty of a saint and the skills of a courtesan. Now that we've gone all spooky and dark like the Brothers Grimmmm...... Maybe not! Can I just have the Disney version, please? You know, sort of
Snow White,
but she's a dude and there are no dwarves or witches.

• 2 weeks later...

Looking at the sites like Houseboy, I have to ask: what's the "cut off" income level to be a sugar daddy, and what living arrangements are they expected to have?

I saw ads for younger guys just looking for "room and board," but that sounds sketchy and dangerous.

I ought to make some "retirement plans" for when I get older ;) so I have enough to keep me happy in old age, but not sure what the bar is.

I have a graduate student living with me. I think it's all very specific to the people you are dealing with. For my part, I got very lucky and only offered after I had a nice ongoing friendship. I would suggest you don't jump at the first pretty face, like you would on a hook up..but make a mutually agreeable offer after finding the right person FIRST.

• 2 years later...
This topic is 2096 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.