The Great British Baking Show

This topic is 2257 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Paul Hollywood is such a handsome daddy. I tried all afternoon to come up with some lewd chef-oriented innuendo, but to hell with it. He could fuck me anytime. Here's are nice VPL and bulge pics.

http://i1.liverpoolecho.co.uk/incoming/article9759094.ece/ALTERNATES/s1227b/8918076-high_res-who-do-you-think-you-are.jpg CMmqPAJWoAA3wpQ.jpg

Paul Hollywood is such a handsome daddy. I tried all afternoon to come up with some lewd chef-oriented innuendo, but to hell with it. He could fuck me anytime. Here's are nice VPL and bulge pics.

http://i1.liverpoolecho.co.uk/incoming/article9759094.ece/ALTERNATES/s1227b/8918076-high_res-who-do-you-think-you-are.jpg CMmqPAJWoAA3wpQ.jpg

Um. I'd gladly eat his sausage?

As a former trained chef, I am admittedly critical when it comes to the cooking shows. I detest the false competitions and drama which is demeaning and designed to drive ratings. I won't say there is plenty of drama that happens in a restaurant kitchen, but that isn't what is being presented. I actually like, or in some ways used to like, Ina Garten and Tyler Florence's shows. I admire that they would be about the food, where it came from, differentiated what made them good, and were somewhat relatable, though I am not a millionaire with a beautiful house in the Hamptons or Mill Valley. I appreciated that they made good food, shared some solid recipes, and they were easy to watch. You can't quite find that today at all on the network.

As for HGTV, I really miss shows about gardening which seem to be a thing of the past, and there is far too much focus now on flipping a house and very little on actual design and what goes into it. I was a big fan of those that actually showed someone making something like Design on a Dime or those that walked you through a process where Candice Olsen was a favorite. I like the eye candy of the guys just as much, but they rarely break a sweat, never take their shirts off, and are careful to keep their assess covered. Where's the fun in that?

As I wrote earlier, I was also a big fan of Ina's but she just got way too precious for me. Her lifestyle is so out of reach for most of us watching the show that it became somewhat surreal. As for Tyler Florence - yikes! So annoying. He talks way too fast, and looks like he has sipped too much coffee while getting his mis en place in order. But Ann Burrell wins the trophy for most annoying. When she tastes something and then puts on that growly voice to say how good it is, I grab the remote.

I adored the Two Fat Ladies. I went to college in London in the 1970s and their recipes and way of doing things just brought back so many wonderful memories when I watched them. I'm a sucker for any stewed fruit dessert with custard on top, and they did a lot of those. I love steak and kidney pies, mashed potatoes with leeks, Bubble and Squeak, fish pies, Yorkshire pudding, and pastry made with lard. I can't eat any of it anymore but it still makes my mouth water when I see old episodes of the Two Fat Ladies, and there's one of them crumbling fat into flour or the other separating eggs through her fingers for a vanilla custard.

I'm a fan of Nigella Lawson too. She's a bit of a buxom glamour puss but she's all about the food and really knows her stuff. But most of the American "chefs" on the food shows are about personalities and not recipes. I've never understood Guy Fiere's popularity. The Deen brothers are competent but nothing extraordinary. One of them had a show based in New York where he made healthy versions of his mother's drek but it was still drek, just with less calories. "Chopped", "Iron Chef", and the rest of the competition shows leave me cold. Bobby Flay reminds me of Howdy Doody, and Giada (with whom he is purportedly having an affair) also looks like a puppet - Bride of Chuckie. I have to say that some of her stuff is pretty good but her presentation is smug and irritating.

But I'm a fussy curmudgeon and horribly hard to please, so nobody should go by my opinions!

And Mary's OUT!

Today's news:

'Great British Bake Off' judge Mary Berry to quit, Paul Hollywood to continue when show leaves BBC

The Great British Bake Off will also lose judge Mary Berry when the U.K. ratings hit moves from the BBC to Channel 4 after the end of the current season.

But Paul Hollywood on Thursday announced his plans to continue for three seasons when the U.K. ratings hit moves from the BBC to Channel 4 after the end of the current season.

The BBC announced the news of Berry after Sue Perkins and Mel Giedroycpreviously said that they would quit as hosts of the show. They had all been known to prefer having the show stay with the BBC.

There was no immediate word on the future of fellow judge Paul Hollywood who, like Berry, has been understood to have been in talks with Channel 4.

"What a privilege and honor it has been to be part of seven years of magic in a tent – The Great British Bake Off," Berry said in a statement issued by the BBC. "TheBake Off family – Paul, Mel and Sue have given me so much joy and laughter."

She explained: "My decision to stay with the BBC is out of loyalty to them, as they have nurtured me, and the show, that was a unique and brilliant format from day one. I am just sad for the audience who may not be ready for change, I hope they understand my decision. I wish the program, crew and future bakers every possible success and I am so very sad not to be a part of it. Farewell to soggy bottoms."

Charlotte Moore, director of BBC content, said: "Mary is an extraordinary woman, loved and adored by the British public, and the BBC is her natural home. I've been very lucky to have had the pleasure of working with Mary over the last seven years and I'm so pleased that relationship will continue. She is an inspiration to generations, a real icon and I can't wait to cook up more unmissable shows with her in the future."

"We were very shocked and saddened" to learn that Bake Off would be moving, the hosts had said when they announced their departure. "We made no secret of our desire for the show to remain where it was." They concluded: "We're not going with the dough. We wish all the future bakers every success."

Channel 4 had announced a three-year deal for the show, estimated by some to be worth $99 million (75 million pounds). It said the first Bake Off content planned is a celebrity version of the show in 2017.

But the departure of much of the on-air team raises major questions about the future of the franchise.

A modest hit when it premiered in 2010 on BBC Two, the show was later moved to flagship channel BBC One and now ranks among the biggest shows in U.K. history.

The good-natured cooking competition (known, due to copyright issues, as The Great British Baking Show in the U.S.) returned for its seventh season on Aug. 24, drawing a whopping 10.4 million live viewers for a 47.5 share. That means nearly half of British TVs on during the hour were tuned in. That was a bigger percentage than the Rio Olympics. Nothing, save the Super Bowl (a 73 share) and the NFL conference championship games match that level of saturation with U.S. audiences. The Oscars and NBC's most-watched night of Olympics coverage couldn't reach a 40 share.

The show is produced by Love Productions, controlled by pan-European pay TV giant Sky, in which 21st Century Fox owns a 39 percent stake.

http://www.aol.com/article/entertainment/2016/09/22/great-british-bake-off-mary-berry-quits/21477217/

And Mary's OUT!

Today's news:

'Great British Bake Off' judge Mary Berry to quit, Paul Hollywood to continue when show leaves BBC

The Great British Bake Off will also lose judge Mary Berry when the U.K. ratings hit moves from the BBC to Channel 4 after the end of the current season.

But Paul Hollywood on Thursday announced his plans to continue for three seasons when the U.K. ratings hit moves from the BBC to Channel 4 after the end of the current season.

The BBC announced the news of Berry after Sue Perkins and Mel Giedroycpreviously said that they would quit as hosts of the show. They had all been known to prefer having the show stay with the BBC.

There was no immediate word on the future of fellow judge Paul Hollywood who, like Berry, has been understood to have been in talks with Channel 4.

"What a privilege and honor it has been to be part of seven years of magic in a tent – The Great British Bake Off," Berry said in a statement issued by the BBC. "TheBake Off family – Paul, Mel and Sue have given me so much joy and laughter."

She explained: "My decision to stay with the BBC is out of loyalty to them, as they have nurtured me, and the show, that was a unique and brilliant format from day one. I am just sad for the audience who may not be ready for change, I hope they understand my decision. I wish the program, crew and future bakers every possible success and I am so very sad not to be a part of it. Farewell to soggy bottoms."

Charlotte Moore, director of BBC content, said: "Mary is an extraordinary woman, loved and adored by the British public, and the BBC is her natural home. I've been very lucky to have had the pleasure of working with Mary over the last seven years and I'm so pleased that relationship will continue. She is an inspiration to generations, a real icon and I can't wait to cook up more unmissable shows with her in the future."

"We were very shocked and saddened" to learn that Bake Off would be moving, the hosts had said when they announced their departure. "We made no secret of our desire for the show to remain where it was." They concluded: "We're not going with the dough. We wish all the future bakers every success."

Channel 4 had announced a three-year deal for the show, estimated by some to be worth $99 million (75 million pounds). It said the first Bake Off content planned is a celebrity version of the show in 2017.

But the departure of much of the on-air team raises major questions about the future of the franchise.

A modest hit when it premiered in 2010 on BBC Two, the show was later moved to flagship channel BBC One and now ranks among the biggest shows in U.K. history.

The good-natured cooking competition (known, due to copyright issues, as The Great British Baking Show in the U.S.) returned for its seventh season on Aug. 24, drawing a whopping 10.4 million live viewers for a 47.5 share. That means nearly half of British TVs on during the hour were tuned in. That was a bigger percentage than the Rio Olympics. Nothing, save the Super Bowl (a 73 share) and the NFL conference championship games match that level of saturation with U.S. audiences. The Oscars and NBC's most-watched night of Olympics coverage couldn't reach a 40 share.

The show is produced by Love Productions, controlled by pan-European pay TV giant Sky, in which 21st Century Fox owns a 39 percent stake.

http://www.aol.com/article/entertainment/2016/09/22/great-british-bake-off-mary-berry-quits/21477217/

I don't see how they can continue, with or without Paul's sausage. I actually suspect that much of what we're seeing is taters, but I'd do him anywayv

I assume you mean "The Great British Bake Off." It's a lot of fun except for Paul Hollywood who gives assholes a bad name. Enjoy it while it lasts. This season -- half over -- is the last with the current people. It won't be the same. Last week they were 'squeezing sausages'

The show is billed in the US as The Grest British Baking Show because "Bake Off" is copywrighted by Pillsbury for its big annual contest.

Okay hate me if you must, but I like cooking competitions. I love some of the stuff and I hate some of the stuff on Food Network. Great British Bake Off is my favorite because of the setting, the tent, the ensemble cast, the ugly teeth and they are all truly amateurs. The fact the Paul will be the only one going forward is just a no go for me. He is the least likeable person in the world, just ahead of the insufferable Johnny who co-hosted with Mary on the American version last Christmas.

My second fav is Top Chef, again it is a great ensemble cast, yes I know Padma is not a cooking expert but she is one of the rare individuals on TV who does appreciate a good vegetarian dish. It has introduced me to some of the great chefs around. Some I detest personally but others I just love to listen to.

Food, like the gentlemen we love to talk about here, is one of those rare subjects that the same dish can invoke such emotional responses from wonderment and yet be detested by others.

While Bravo has tried to come up with other cooking shows, they have failed with them all except Top Chef.

Food Network I am about 50/50 on their shows. Not really keen on any of the celebrities that have shows there. I do like the seasonal baking contests. My favorite is Chopped. I do like Cutthroat kitchen as a form of entertainment. Diners, Drive-ins and Dives is a great show and have used that a couple of times while traveling. Worst Cooks in America is hilarious, Ann is funny there other areas not so much. I like the Giada comment earlier, she does seem vampire-ish I am not big on the at home shows with a chef. Although if they could get Michael and Bryan Voltaggio to host a show I would watch them any day of the week. They are both excellent chefs, great on screen presence and great to look at especially Michael.

• 6 months later...

I came a little late to the game. Story of my life. However I just binge watched 3 seasons of The Great British Baking Show and loved every minute. Never would have thought baking could be that exciting. Well, maybe exciting is a bit of an overstatement. Have tried to get friends interested and I just get funny looks. Okay, it's not Game of Thrones but still .....

I came a little late to the game. Story of my life. However I just binge watched 3 seasons of The Great British Baking Show and loved every minute. Never would have thought baking could be that exciting. Well, maybe exciting is a bit of an overstatement. Have tried to get friends interested and I just get funny looks. Okay, it's not Game of Thrones but still .....

At there's at least one hot guy every season!

That's what I found so much fun about the show. The people you'd least expect to see making these elaborate concoctions are often the most accomplished. Building houses during the day and whipping up a chocolate mousse in the evening.

That's what I found so much fun about the show. The people you'd least expect to see making these elaborate concoctions are often the most accomplished. Building houses during the day and whipping up a chocolate mousse in the evening.

The contractor was an extraordinarily sweet man.

• 3 months later...

Today's NYTimes reports this update on the "new show and cast"...

‘The Great British Bake Off’ as We Know It Is Over. What Comes Next?

By LIAM STACKAUG. 11, 2017

12xp-bakeoff_web1-master768.jpg

The new season of “The Great British Bake Off” will be hosted by, from left, Paul Hollywood, Sandi Toksvig, Noel Fielding and Prue Leith.

CreditMark Bourdillon/Love Productions, via Channel 4

Americans, “The Great British Baking Show” as you have known it is coming to an end.

The season finale was broadcast in some markets last week on PBS, which has aired only the four most recent of its seven seasons. The broadcaster said it would air one of the three earliest seasons of the show — which is called “The Great British Baking Show” in the United States and “The Great British Bake Off” everywhere else — but after that, things will be different.

For one, PBS, which also licenses “The Great British Baking Show” to Netflix, said it had not yet decided whether to air future seasons in the United States. What is going on?

“The Great British Bake Off” has been celebrated as a cheerful vision of multicultural modern Britain and built its brand on the preternatural charm of its hosts and contestants, who compete in complex baking challenges without the lure of a cash prize. But in a twist perhaps fit for the show’s more diabolical cousin — American reality TV — it is cash that may lead to its undoing.

Last September, the show’s producer, Love Productions, set off a public outcry when the show left its longtime home at the publicly funded British Broadcasting Corporation for a rival network, Channel 4, that offered more money (and will air it with commercials, which the BBC does not).

Three of its hosts — the celebrity chef Mary Berry and the comedians Sue Perkins and Mel Giedroyc — quickly quit in a messy public airing of grievances over the financially motivated change. They have been replaced.

Photo

00xp-bakeoff-master675.jpg

The original hosts of “The Great British Bake Off,” from left: Paul Hollywood, Sue Perkins, Mel Giedroyc and Mary Berry. Only Mr. Hollywood will return for the next season. CreditMark Bourdillion/Love Productions

So what comes next for the show and its beloved ex-hosts? And will Americans be able to watch any of it?

The New ‘Great British Bake Off’

Paul Hollywood, the one host who did not quit, will be part of what amounts to a reboot with three new co-hosts: the chef and writer Prue Leith and the comedians Sandi Toksvig and Noel Fielding. The season premiere is “coming soon,” the show said on Twitter.

It also tweeted an apparent nod to the turmoil that has shadowed “The Great British Bake Off” since last year: a video in which anthropomorphized baked goods sing “we all stand together,” even as they are thrust into an oven. Love Productions did not respond to an email seeking comment.

So, who are the newcomers?

Ms. Leith is a chef and television personality who founded cooking schools in both Britain and her native South Africa. An advocate for healthy eating, she told The Sunday Times that her catchphrase for dismissing unappetizing baked goods would be: “It’s not worth the calories.”

Ms. Toksvig is a veteran TV presenter best known in Britain as the witty, bantering host of the quiz show “QI.” She is also a political activist: In 2015, she helped found the Women’s Equality Party, which has contested elections in London, Wales and Scotland.

Mr. Fielding is a comedian best known as part of the comedy troupe, and surreal BBC sitcom, “The Mighty Boosh,” which gained a following in the United States as part of the Adult Swim lineup on Cartoon Network.

His brand of humor may be an odd fit for “Bake Off.” Last week, he faced a backlash in Britain after he told an interviewer he would not eat cake on the show, saying, “I get more work when I’m thinner, so I can’t put on weight.” He later said he had been joking.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/08/11/arts/television/british-baking-show.html?rref=collection%2Fsectioncollection%2Farts&action=click&contentCollection=arts&region=stream&module=stream_unit&version=latest&contentPlacement=13&pgtype=sectionfront

I loved the show with Mary Berry, et al. because although it was obviously a competition it did not seem cut-throat at all. Actually at times it seemed liked they (the contestants) were pulling for each other, even though I know they probably weren't. I actually didn't mind Paul all that much because he actually had very little show time. Mary was of course warm quaint Mary. The only one I did not like and I can't for the life figure out why is Sue Perkins. She just hit me the wrong way but I suppose it was just like in the real world sometimes people just do that. I am sorry to see that the show is going to be splitting up because it seemed to have a good rapport going.

• 6 months later...

I never really watched this show. But I developed an interest in a spinoff/copycat this past year.... Great American Baking Show. Paul Hollywood was a judge on the episode I saw.

Although the contest was completed and recorded, it was pulled from airing after 1 or 2 episodes due to sexual harassment allegations against judge Johnny Iuzzini.

. . . . The only one I did not like and I can't for the life figure out why is Sue Perkins. She just hit me the wrong way but I suppose it was just like in the real world sometimes people just do that. I am sorry to see that the show is going to be splitting up because it seemed to have a good rapport going.

Sue Perkins, and testicles.

As I disparaged Sue Perkins in my earlier post, I have to say she was perfectly lovely in this clip and quite funny. As she mentioned it was a Stonewall Awards show, may I ask if she is a lesbian. Of course, it is none of my business but all the same.