The Great British Baking Show

This topic is 2257 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

As I disparaged Sue Perkins in my earlier post, I have to say she was perfectly lovely in this clip and quite funny. As she mentioned it was a Stonewall Awards show, may I ask if she is a lesbian. Of course, it is none of my business but all the same.

Sue Perkins is out(ed) and proud.

http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/tatler-lesbians-issue-sue-perkins-emma-kennedy-359580

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've binge-watched a few seasons over the past few months. I've grown to enjoy almost all aspects of it. I have also developed an understanding of the clichés, manipulations through editing, and some of the biases. They definitely do play favorites, though there's no way of knowing whether that's happening at the show-runner level or with influence from Mary and Paul.

I adore Paul Hollywood. I can understand why so many people dislike him, but I admire his confident, authoritative demeanor. The show runners and editors do an excellent job of balancing his posture with Mary Berry's demure ladylike, though no-nonsense presence. Mel and Sue's comedic ribbing of Paul's insufferable masculinity and confidence prevent him from dominating the show as another Gordon Ramsay. Those over-the-top personalities are usually done by design, and I get the impression that the show's producers and Hollywood decided that "it's been done."

For me, what's most admirable about The Great British Bake-Off is that (while there are some exceptions) it doesn't rely on the negative and adversarial tropes of typical cast elimination reality TV shows. Both judges are matter-of-fact in their criticisms, focusing on mistakes or failures to execute supported by evidence without attacking the cast members personally. Even the harshest criticisms are balanced with constructive advice and with positives. The show also doesn't live and die by cast member conflicts; it appears to neither encourage disagreement or expose conflicts through editing. In a typical reality show the biggest asshole is booted, or a beloved member is set up for a dramatic betrayal. In the GBBO one of the poorest performers is eliminated, and he or she is in full agreement with the judges' decision. For the most part cast members are portrayed as respectful and supportive of each other, and it's rare to get a whiff of annoyance or resentment. I'm speaking in general -- I could point out counter examples, but they're exceptions to the overall theme of the show. They also seem to cast contestants who are mostly likable and positive, rather than mixing in some intentionally cast edgy antagonists and train-wreck personalities.