Internet Explorer has stopped working....

Samfoslom
This topic is 2931 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I just discovered that "Internet Explorer has stopped working" is not the name of the browser's latest update. Quite a surprise. That's what I seem to see more than anything. The failure rate I experience is enough that I've started dabbling with Firefox and Chrome. What is your experience like???

my first thread, BTW!

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I just discovered that "Internet Explorer has stopped working" is not the name of the browser's latest update. Quite a surprise. That's what I seem to see more than anything. The failure rate I experience is enough that I've started dabbling with Firefox and Chrome. What is your experience like???

my first thread, BTW!

Welcome to the forum. :)

It's my understanding that Microsoft is going to phase out IE and will stop supporting it in a few years. At work we use Firefox and Chrome and have no issues at all. But if I want my computer to freeze then I use IE.

At home, Safari is my browser of choice.

my first thread, BTW!

Firefox rocks. I abandoned Explorer for it years ago. Well organized, intuitive, reliable.

+1

While I use Firefox almost exclusively....FWIW IE for me at least has always worked, now the question is, how to download windows 10, without it ruining my life and me throwing the computer off the roof. :eek:

You can Schedule Microsoft to do the upgrade for you, so if it fucks up, its THEIR problem....

years ago, people here on the board recommended Firefox as the new big thing.....switched to it and never looked back.....very happy with it

occasionally use Chrome for something...or if I want two browsers open at once to see how things are presented in any different way.....

also, strangely, the pictures in IndyGuy's daily posts in the Gallery don't open for me with Firefox, but they do in Chrome......I either have to right-click each picture and "view image" or copy-and-paste the post over to Chrome

currently too scared to download Windows 10......

years ago, people here on the board recommended Firefox as the new big thing.....switched to it and never looked back.....very happy with it

occasionally use Chrome for something...or if I want two browsers open at once to see how things are presented in any different way.....

also, strangely, the pictures in IndyGuy's daily posts in the Gallery don't open for me with Firefox, but they do in Chrome......I either have to right-click each picture and "view image" or copy-and-paste the post over to Chrome

ive heard nothing but bad things about windows 10, so im not pressing that upgrade button

I switched to Firefox because I could no longer use IE for my work online, and I have been pretty satisfied, though it has crashed a couple of times. I have never been comfortable with Chrome, though I do use it occasionally.

As long as this is here:

I was using Chrome if I had videos that needed viewing. Now I can no longer install it on my machine, and Google has no solution for this.

Willing to say what operating system your machine is running, how much ram and what the cpu speed is? Firefox works under a wide variety of circumstances . . .

ive heard nothing but bad things about windows 10, so im not pressing that upgrade button

I don't know why you're scared or what you've heard but I haven't had any problems with it. It was Windows 8 that was the nightmare.

And note that the free upgrade they're offering ends at 1 year from release date, which is coming up in a couple of weeks. After that, you'll have to pay for it if you find yourself needing it for some reason.

And I have Windows 8.1 and am generally happy with it. I keep getting pop-ups saying Windows 10 is still available as a free upgrade, but I, too, have been reluctant to move, since a friend of mine who is much more tech savvy than I am did the upgrade, and she has had all sorts of problems with it.

Windows 10 is still available as a free upgrade

I upgraded to 10. Didn't like it any better than 8, or 8 point something that was on the 2 laptops I sent back to HP. Finally ordered one with 7. I'm old school, and I like it. Hopefully it will be supported for a while. As far as IE and Firefox. I downloaded Firefox, and when I was looking at the Gallery one day, pics would not display. Switched over to IE and Gallery pics displayed no problem.

I upgraded my old laptop to windows 10 and liked it. I recently purchased two new laptops and both came with windows ten. I have had no problems using IE with any of them.

Incidentally Windows 10 comes with Edge which I guess will ultimately replace IE. It's OK, but being a creature of habit, but not overly old-school, I like IE a bit better. If push came to shove I could work with Edge.

However, I use my laptops mainly to do my taxes and work on music projects, editing things, etc... otherwise I'm using Safari (and at at times Chrome to post certain pics) on my iPad as I am doing now.

Contrarian here. I have had technical and ease of use problems with Firefox. I use (or used to use) social media sites that do not play well with whatever version of IE I have (was current at the time), so I switched to Chrome.

But this is mostly moot, as I use my desktop infrequently. My Android tablet (Kindle Fire) has a proprietary browser that I don't think I can change.

Contrarian here. I have had technical and ease of use problems with Firefox...

That's why I started using Chrome and haven't looked back. When I bought my iPad and iPhone, Chrome was available for iOS but Firefox was not. Not being a Safari fan, the ability to switch seamlessly between desktop and mobile was a huge benefit.

A colleague used Firefox for years and then encountered problems with it downloading transactions into Quicken. She switched to Chrome and has encountered exactly zero issues.

For what it's worth, at work we use IE. However, when we implemented Workday, the HR management tool, it did not support our version of IE and we deployed it using Chrome. Not Firefox, but Chrome.

My Android tablet (Kindle Fire) has a proprietary browser that I don't think I can change.

Given Google developed both the Android OS and Chrome, I'm going to guess the browser is Chrome.

You'd think so, but Amazon calls it Silk and if you have problems (which I have), you talk to Kindle tech support.

Interesting. I found a couple of articles about how you can download and install Chrome on a Kindle Fire:

http://www.technipages.com/kindle-fire-how-to-install-google-chrome-via-apk-file

http://kindlefireworld.net/google-chrome-for-kindle-download/

Happy browsing!!!

Archived