Game of Thrones

MFLV
This topic is 1835 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

• Replies 325
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Has any othe GoT fan also watched the British sitcom Vicious, with Ian McKellen and Derek Jacobi? The actor who played Ramsay Bolton played a sweet, simple young man who was their neighbor, and was very funny. The show wasn't great but the acting was.

In Los Angeles the local PBS station showed the series finale of Vicious at 8pm, and then I watched GoT at 9pm. It was a great contrast and showed off the range of Iwan Rheon as an actor.

Has any othe GoT fan also watched the British sitcom Vicious, with Ian McKellen and Derek Jacobi? The actor who played Ramsay Bolton played a sweet, simple young man who was their neighbor, and was very funny. The show wasn't great but the acting was.

While his character was abominable, I though the guy was cute :oops:

Ah there is a whole thread about the appropriateness of suspension of disbelief vs. the suspension of belief.

I am on team disbelief. But this is a case of continuity break. She is not there when he says what she quotes him as saying. There are explanations, it is just a misstep in the quality of the storytelling.

Rickon definitely should have done "serpentine" as advised in the movie The In Laws.

There is kind of a break in the continuity. Sansa rides off. Ramsey then says he has not fed his dogs for a week. Later, she quotes him as having said he had not fed his dogs for a week. She would not know that directly. One could postulate that she was told this or overheard someone quoting him, but it seemed a bit of a break.

It did seem like a bit of a break, and you are right, she would not have known that directly. Here is the story I made up in my head: There was a scene where Rickon is brought back in from the field. Jon is telling folks were to bury him. Sansa asks Jon where Ramsey is. I figured the writers left it to us to make the conjecture that Jon told Sansa the details including the sweet irony of feeding Ramsey to his adored pets after he made that tirade in the battlefield. It was most likely a story break, but as an audience member, I loved having some of the storyline written (imaginarily) by me. :)

It did seem like a bit of a break, and you are right, she would not have known that directly. Here is the story I made up in my head: There was a scene where Rickon is brought back in from the field. Jon is telling folks were to bury him. Sansa asks Jon where Ramsey is. I figured the writers left it to us to make the conjecture that Jon told Sansa the details including the sweet irony of feeding Ramsey to his adored pets after he made that tirade in the battlefield. It was most likely a story break, but as an audience member, I loved having some of the storyline written (imaginarily) by me. :)

I like your version. They could have easily shown Jon responding to her question of "Where is he" He is in the kennels, he admitted to starving the beasts for a week.

I saw a takeoff of "All the things wrong with Prometheus", and one of them was "When running away from the big circular ship rolling on its side, run OUT of the path of where it's rolling".

I have ALWAYS thought that !! How stupid can you be!! Just run to the side !

This thread is too long for me to go back and read it all. Did someone postulate that Cersei is going to blow up the Great Sept of Baelor? I'm hoping that is the rumor that her henchman confirmed. We know there is Wildfire stored beneath it. Not sure how she will orchestrate it but I've got my fingers crossed.

[spoiler=Curiosity may kill the cat!]

This thread is too long for me to go back and read it all. Did someone postulate that Cersei is going to blow up the Great Sept of Baelor? I'm hoping that is the rumor that her henchman confirmed. We know there is Wildfire stored beneath it. Not sure how she will orchestrate it but I've got my fingers crossed.

What you are speculating is hinted at in the "No One" episode after Cersei finds out no more trial by combat will be allowed. That's my guess about "the rumor" Qyburn mentions to her. We shall see!

It was also foreshadowed a bit last week when Tyrion talked Daenerys out of obliterating the slaver cities. He mentioned her father's plans for King's Landing and how he had wildfire stashed everywhere and was going to burn the city to the ground.

I'm also hoping they move Queen Margaery's storyline along in the finale. I really want to see what she has up her sleeves. Probably too much to hope for though.

Wow, I sure am glad Jonathan Pryce and his religious zealots are now up in smoke. While I don't like Cersei, I am glad she did this. My only regret for this outcome is the death of Margaery and Loras. I like Margaery and was hoping to see what she would have up her sleeves. It was kinda like promise unfulfilled. As for Loras, his death deprived us more guy on guy action. ;)

Whereas most of the events had been predicted, they were still very well played out. The first 20 minutes were intense, even if the Times ran an article this morning basically telling us what Cersei was going to do. We anticipated John Snow's origin story before the season began.

• I'm pissed Margaery is gone, as she was a great character
  • Tommen was a shock, as Cersei clearly took steps to save him
  • It was fun to see Araya have her moment, but curious that she would drop by House Frey before, oh, Winterfell
  • Not sure what was happening between Cersei and Jamie there. He's been having internal battles for a while

Kevin Slater

So Jon and Sansa are definitely cousins. But is it clear that he is the product of rape and is Daenerys half brother? I thought it was interesting that they didn't let us hear her whisper to Jon.

Also very disappointed about Margaery. That was quite the little tease to make us think she had a plan that will play out. I thought for a moment that her and Loras might make it out.

Have to give it to the first 20 minutes. Did not see that coming at all. Agree about Margaery and Loras. He died in the books as well, but his sister is still alive and well. And as for Tommen? Sick of his pussy whipped little zealot ass anyway, but surprised as well. Not sure why that makes Cersei queen, except for the Mountain and all the Lannister troops. No clue how Jaime will react to the death of yet another one of his kids...

The writers are certainly playing fast and loose with the time line, though. How exactly did Arya get to the Riverlands so damned fast? Was she disguised as the serving wench even at the dinner? Since when does she know how to do that anyway? Thought you had to be no one (like the Waif) to become other people? Thought that the last time we saw her she was stabbed and in the river? It just felt contrived to me and frankly, the death of the master mind of the Red Wedding deserved more build up and the return of Catelyn Stark to do the deed. I was hoping it was Arya just having a fever dream from the stab wound and all that time in the water.... And what about Varis getting from Mereen to Dorne and then back to Mereen in time to sail with Daenerys and Tyrion??? Sloppy continuity? Or just forced drama?

Ok, so if Jon is not the product of Rhaegar's rape of Lianna Stark, then who is his father? She was engaged to Robert Baratheon when Rhaegar kidnapped her? Is he the Daddy? Jon certainly looks more like that sire than a platinum blonde Targaryen? And that would put him directly in line for the Iron Throne now that all the other faux Baratheons are dead. And pit Jon against Daenarys...... fire verus ice?

Sure a lot happened. But to me, it's like the writers threw everything at the Wall (Ha) and only some of it stuck.

The writers are certainly playing fast and loose with the time line, though. How exactly did Arya get to the Riverlands so damned fast? Was she disguised as the serving wench even at the dinner? Since when does she know how to do that anyway? Thought you had to be no one (like the Waif) to become other people? Thought that the last time we saw her she was stabbed and in the river?

She got some soup. She's all better now.

And it was nice to see that Titus Andronicus, Sweeney Todd, and Eric Cartmen have nothing on Arya Stark.

Sloppy continuity? Or just forced drama?
I think both.

So Jon and Sansa are definitely cousins. But is it clear that he is the product of rape and is Daenerys half brother? I thought it was interesting that they didn't let us hear her whisper to Jon.

If Rhaegar and Lyanna ran off together and he were the product of a marriage rather than rape, he could have a rather compelling claim on the throne. Alas, he may yet be a bastard and not a trueborn king.

Kevin Slater

Not sure why that makes Cersei queen, except for the Mountain and all the Lannister troops.

At this stage in the game, that's about the level we're operating on.

Since when does she know how to do that anyway? Thought you had to be no one (like the Waif) to become other people?

Haven't we seen Arya do the face trick before? My memory is bad. In any case, she surely saw it done. I think there's a dead serving wench in a ditch somewhere. In the previous episode Arya had two impressive bags o' coin to throw at passage home. I think you don't want to be between Arya and anything she might find useful, like your face.

the death of the master mind of the Red Wedding deserved more build up

I thought Frey was done for given his conversation with Jamie. Interesting that nobody will know who did the deed. Might that create another succession kerfuffle?

Ok, so if Jon is not the product of Rhaegar's rape of Lianna Stark, then who is his father? She was engaged to Robert Baratheon when Rhaegar kidnapped her? Is he the Daddy? Jon certainly looks more like that sire than a platinum blonde Targaryen? And that would put him directly in line for the Iron Throne now that all the other faux Baratheons are dead. And pit Jon against Daenarys...... fire verus ice?

Ooh, I like the returning to Fire and Ice. But I don't think Baratheon = ice. Maybe we just pick ice up from Lianna Stark.

Kevin Slater

The next in line to the Iron Throne would have been Any Baratheon. Stannis's daughter is dead, so no go there. Renley had no children.

Robert has one bastard left who is rowing a boat somewhere. So the rightful successor to the throne is a Baratheon cousin or some such. Unless you do not buy Robert Baratheon as king, then Daenerys is the rightful heir as the surviving daughter of the Mad King. Bran is the rightful heir to Winterfell, then Sansa, who looks annoyed that Jon is getting all the accolades and she did most of the work. There does not seem to be a Tyrell heir either. Over in the Iron Islands, the Greyjoys, Theon is the rightful heir but he is stepping aside for his sister. Jon should do the same, but won't. Dorne seems to be in order. The rightful heir at the Twins seems to be Frey's Grandson with Edmund Stark. Of course, Edmund is in jail.

Melisandre is headed south, who might she run into seems unclear but the Brothers without Banners might welcome a Red Witch and Arya will likely run into the Hound before she gets to Winterfell so that would be a tidy little group. Of course Brienne is headed north from Riverrun, so she will likely be looking to serve Sansa.

In fact, Stannis Baratheon was never actually killed on screen, though it does not seem as though Brienne is to lie about killing him.

I took away three things from last night:

1. Be even more aware of Littlefinger...
  2. Women (even little girls) and minorities of sorts (eunuchs, little people, and bastards) are wielding mucho power
  3. Somebody please tell me the rose Margeary drew on the paper she handed her grandmother has a deeper meaning...otherwise, GoT did it to me again this season and killed one of my favorite characters! :mad:

By the way, my favorite phrase amongst my nerdy friends is "confess, confess " to which they respond "shame, shame.." :) Buh-bye, septa sistah!

Edited by Truereview