Scrambled Eggs

Gar1eth
This topic is 2104 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe they do them runny since they may sit under a heat lamp for a few mins which may continue to cook them? Just popped in my head.

This is an actual thing. Chefs always undercook eggs (and steaks!) knowing they'll continue to cook on the way to the table.

Currently eating my Sunday specialty - Migas. Click on the link for an easy recipe to add a Latin twist to scrambled eggs. You can make them mild and w/ eggs whites too! They look somewhat like the pic below::

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_WcD36GHVrow/TKi7zgVupFI/AAAAAAAAAlw/ELQmonFbRIs/s320/Migas-con-Huevo.jpg

Migas are ok. But I prefer having meat in mine which is why I prefer machaca-

Scrambled eggs, onion, pieces of pot roast type beef, tomato, and tortilla chips (+ some people add cheese and jalapeños which I leave out because I don't like them). Serve with warm flour tortillas and salsa. Some IHOPS serve it-namely all the ones in Texas that I've been to and I've found it at other IHOPS like ones in LA before.

http://www.muybuenocookbook.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/machaca_con_huevo.jpg

I rarely think about it but I have similar 'old' feelings, as I have one degree of separation to someone who served in WW1 (my grandmother who was an army nurse in Egypt). 90 years later I was back in the same region on active military service, so there are parallels. (My grandfather served on the Western Front but died in the 1930s.)

I believe my maternal grandfather who died back in

1980 left 'mother' Russia when the Tsar was recruiting for the Russo-Japanese War. On the other hand, it might have been a general conscription after that war. My paternal grandfather served in WWI, but I don't think he saw active combat.

Gman

followed four years later, in 1910, by my grandmother along with their oldest three children (my dad included) ... Dad vividly remembers ... as a ten year old ...Damn does this make me feel OLD

So, Epigonos' father was born ~1900. I won't particularly make me feel that much older if his father

married or at least had children much later in life.

My great-grandfather married the 17-year old daughter of a close friend when he was 42, and my

grandfather's older brother was born about a year and half later in 1883. My aunt says that her

grandmother was *eager* to get out of the household and not have to take care of her siblings.

I vividly remember my great-uncle Joe and him talking about riding in Stage coaches and so not

having any desire to sit in one with me when we visited the museum at the palace of the governor's

in Santa Fe (when I was a kid). I only found out about 15 years ago that I wasn't the first person in my family

to attend that public university on (near) the west coast, and recently looked up his transcript from

1900-1902. (He didn't graduate because he was called back to work in the family-run hotel).

That doesn't make me feel older, but maybe a little prouder to be a third generation westerner.

Plus, my grades were better than my granduncles ;)

Let me preface this by saying my tastebuds are very plebeian. I know many of you on here are fabulous cooks. And many of you who don't cook still have excellent, hi-falutin' tastes. Well neither of those descriptions cover me. I'm still likely to take two pieces of bread, cover them with Heinz 57, and drink them down with a glass of milk for a snack.

As a public service I am warning anyone who is trying to restrict their salt intake to stay as far away from this recipe as you would if you were a vampire and I was holding up a cross in front of your face.

So with that in mind-I was trying to figure out what to do for dinner. I was looking through the pantry and had some chicken flavored Rice-Aroni. But I wanted something more substantial.

I tell you what I decided to do-in general terms, and if this strikes your fancy-you can play around with it yourselves.

So in addition to Rice-Aroni I have a large Jennie-O Cooked Turkey Breast that I've been working on. I decided to combine them.

So I cooked the Rice-Aroni per the stove top directions. To the Rice-Aroni I added one of those small boxes of Sun-Maid Raisins. It was one of those very small boxes. The kind you'd put in a small child's lunchbox. I only used one-I think it could have used another one. To this I add two slices of the Jennie-O cooked turkey breast. I cubed the turkey before adding it. Let's say it was 1/2 a cup.

While that was cooking down, I scrambled 6 eggs in another skillet-actually I scrambled three and then another three. Pre-scrambling-I added curry powder and paprika to the eggs.

When the eggs were done and the rice was basically cooked and on warm, I added the eggs to the rice-raisins-turkey mixture and stirred to mix it all up.

I plated it up along with a little salsa-it was delicious!!!

(I got the idea because I have a box of a pre-mixed quinoa and rice salad that comes with some cranberries. I didn't want to open that yet. So I substituted the quinoa-rice with my box of Rice-Aroni and raisins ).

If my little impromptu rice dish sounds awful to any of you, I promise not to serve it the next you come to my place for dinner. But I definitely plan to keep this improv dinner recipe for myself.

Gman

Edited by Gar1eth

Here's a very good article by Daniel Gritzer, a former professional chef on basic scrambling techniques. There are also links to recipes of three different types of scrambled eggs. He disagrees with Gordon Ramsey on the effects of adding salt to eggs prior to cooking (although he claims there's not a lot of difference.). Daniel actually tested adding salt to the eggs and has pictures in the article.

The article is titled -"

Tips and Tricks for the Best Scrambled Eggs, Your Way"

http://www.seriouseats.com/2015/05/how-to-make-scrambled-eggs.html

Gman

• 2 years later...
When did he emigrate from Europe? If it was before 1918, Slovenia was part of the Austro-Hungarian Empire so he could validly say he came from Austria. After 1918 it would have been Yugoslavia (or Jugoslavia).

On the other hand a person born in Slovakia or Croatia could say that they were born in Hungary.

Just one of things being from a dual monarchy.

+++++++++++++++++++++

A gripe of mine is when a person says they were born in Pakistan but it was before 1947. It was still India then!

Let me preface this by saying my tastebuds are very plebeian. I know many of you on here are fabulous cooks. And many of you who don't cook still have excellent, hi-falutin' tastes. Well neither of those descriptions cover me. I'm still likely to take two pieces of bread, cover them with Heinz 57, and drink them down with a glass of milk for a snack.

As a public service I am warning anyone who is trying to restrict their salt intake to stay as far away from this recipe as you would if you were a vampire and I was holding up a cross in front of your face.

So with that in mind-I was trying to figure out what to do for dinner. I was looking through the pantry and had some chicken flavored Rice-Aroni. But I wanted something more substantial.

I tell you what I decided to do-in general terms, and if this strikes your fancy-you can play around with it yourselves.

So in addition to Rice-Aroni I have a large Jennie-O Cooked Turkey Breast that I've been working on. I decided to combine them.

So I cooked the Rice-Aroni per the stove top directions. To the Rice-Aroni I added one of those small boxes of Sun-Maid Raisins. It was one of those very small boxes. The kind you'd put in a small child's lunchbox. I only used one-I think it could have used another one. To this I add two slices of the Jennie-O cooked turkey breast. I cubed the turkey before adding it. Let's say it was 1/2 a cup.

While that was cooking down, I scrambled 6 eggs in another skillet-actually I scrambled three and then another three. Pre-scrambling-I added curry powder and paprika to the eggs.

When the eggs were done and the rice was basically cooked and on warm, I added the eggs to the rice-raisins-turkey mixture and stirred to mix it all up.

I plated it up along with a little salsa-it was delicious!!!

(I got the idea because I have a box of a pre-mixed quinoa and rice salad that comes with some cranberries. I didn't want to open that yet. So I substituted the quinoa-rice with my box of Rice-Aroni and raisins ).

If my little impromptu rice dish sounds awful to any of you, I promise not to serve it the next you come to my place for dinner. But I definitely plan to keep this improv dinner recipe for myself.

Gman

1651129.gif

Thanks for bringing up this thread, @samhexum. I had forgotten about my scrambled eggs-rice-turkey dinner from years past. I'll have to try it again one day.

Gman