Scrambled Eggs

Gar1eth
This topic is 2104 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Has anyone ever tried a Shirred Egg? If not, I highly recommend giving them a try.

A bit of background first. Last week my organization's board meeting was held in Seattle. Our members are a healthy-eating group and I'd been working on menus with the two venues where the meeting was to be held. At one, the chef came up with an egg white frittata that was very good.

The other venue was a bit more difficult to get them outside the normal everyday scrambled eggs offering. I'd asked the chef to propose something different. He came back with Eggs Benedict. Nope, not what I wanted for this group, also too complicated to plate up (they proposed an action station). I sent him back to the kitchen to come up with something else. His idea blew me away and was a big hit with our group.

The chef created a Shirred Egg served with the yolk and an egg white only versions. These were served in a small mason jar, yes mason jar. They were just the right size to eat with a spoon. Toppings were set next to the egg dish and included smoked salmon, Mexican style shredded chicken, chives, and cheese. Most folks had the egg white version plain.

Here's a link to Martha Stewart's version of this dish that is close to how the chef prepared ours. He put the eggs in the mason jars, placed those in a pan of water and baked them. Think of a poached egg in a jar and you've got the idea.

http://www.marthastewart.com/921139/how-make-shirred-eggs

Now, who's up for a Scottish Egg?

Or how about a Vegan Sausage?

You lost me at vegan sausage. Is vegan a word from Zimbabwe? Sausage I am quite familiar with.

Hugs,

Greg

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought we might have a discussion on scrambled eggs for those of us who like them. Gordon's in this video look a bit too runny and labor intensive for me.

But what I wanted to make note of was the tomatoes and mushrooms. I love tomatoes and like mushrooms. I would never have thought of cooking fresh mushrooms this way. And both the tomatoes and mushrooms are delicious. I usually use the small grape tomatoes for this and the smaller whole mushrooms that I remove the stalk from.

At my local Safeway they have artisanal bread baked but that you heat in the oven. There's one brand they carry from a bakery in California-La Brea Bakery. They have a rustic wheat bread and a ciabatta. Eight to 10 minutes in the oven while you are cooking the eggs and tomatoes/mushrooms-and you have piping hot crusty bread to put the eggs on and slather with butter and preserves.

Gman

Thanks for posting this. I get fresh eggs from my hens daily and this is a great video on how to perfect my scrambled eggs. Don't tell my hens that is what I'm doing to their eggs!

First, GMan, thanks for posting this. The scrambled eggs with tomato and mushrooms sounds yummy!

I like my scrambled eggs a lil on the firm side. ...

I like 'em firm, too. Firm with mushrooms and tomatoes.

I love cooking. It is very therapeutic. Most people would not like my cooking, though, because it tends to be heavy on garlic, basil, and oregano.

I'm with you on all counts, including your seasonings of choice.

Breakfast for Dinner was a feature I my house growing up. My Mother would devote considerable time to making scrambled eggs. She made them in a double boiler. Bring the water in the bottom of the double boiler to a boil and reduce the heat to keep the water just a the point of boiling. In the top of the double boiler melt about 3 or 4 tablespoons of butter over the boiling water. Take 4 eggs and beat them never lifting the tines of the from the bottom of the bowl ( you don't want them frothy- air bubbles make tough scrambled eggs or omelets). Add a splash of half and half to the beaten eggs, pour the mixture into the top of the double boiler with the melted butter. Stir the eggs until they achieve the desired firmness. With this method you can cook the eggs completely and they won't be dried out and tough. Salt and pepper just before serving. Mom always served toasted egg bread (Challah) and buttered it lavishly. I have served these to friends after the theater or a concert with a green salad and french bread, and garnished the eggs with a dollop of sour cream and a little caviar. 4 eggs will usually do for two, unless you are very hungry.

Try them with a nice chunky salsa and cheese. Way better than any flat catchup any day hands down.

Hugs,

Greg

And pico de gallo too-but 86 the cheese please. Or better yet, someone can have my portion-wouldn't want to waste it. I also love to cook Vienna Sausages and stuff all of the above in a whole wheat pita.

When is breakfast, lunch, dinner and dessert? I'll bring the proper beverages.

Hugs,

Greg

No dessert for me. I am about to be 43....so at this point, food puts up a fight when I ask it to vacate my body....lol

My body just laughs. At least you started out in good shape.

Breakfast for Dinner was a feature I my house growing up. My Mother would devote considerable time to making scrambled eggs. She made them in a double boiler. Bring the water in the bottom of the double boiler to a boil and reduce the heat to keep the water just a the point of boiling. In the top of the double boiler melt about 3 or 4 tablespoons of butter over the boiling water. Take 4 eggs and beat them never lifting the tines of the from the bottom of the bowl ( you don't want them frothy- air bubbles make tough scrambled eggs or omelets). Add a splash of half and half to the beaten eggs, pour the mixture into the top of the double boiler with the melted butter. Stir the eggs until they achieve the desired firmness. With this method you can cook the eggs completely and they won't be dried out and tough. Salt and pepper just before serving. Mom always served toasted egg bread (Challah) and buttered it lavishly. I have served these to friends after the theater or a concert with a green salad and french bread, and garnished the eggs with a dollop of sour cream and a little caviar. 4 eggs will usually do for two, unless you are very hungry.

I'm sure it's delicious. But sounds a bit too involved for me. Plus I don't like caviar or sour cream. I have lately been mixing curry powder in with my eggs pre-scrambling. It gives the eggs a not so nice brownish color, but I lob the taste (As an aside I've also been putting curry powder in with my routine tuna salad. It really wakes it up!!!)

I like scrambled eggs. I used to fix them along with hotdogs (or Vienna Sausages ) + salsa for years for dinner when I was in grad school. Until recently I hadn't done it in years. It had been so long I even looked up how to make scrambled eggs on the internet before processing. I probably could have done it without looking up. But I wanted to check. You know I can remember the small skillet my Mother used to cook them in when I was a child almost perfectly. The covering on the skillet handle was partially broken-ahh childhood memories. They are often clearer than what I had for lunch yesterday. :rolleyes:

Aside from eggs-while I'll eat breakfast for dinner-I really prefer dinner for breakfast. I'm not sure how well I'd do with spicy spaghetti in the morning. But I could definitely handle steak, fried chicken, teriyaki chicken and noodles, meatloaf-love meatloaf, tuna salad. After all I'm sure most of us remember eating leftover pizza the following morning. It's interesting how you really aren't supposed to eat food left out over an hour or so. But the pizza was usually left out sitting on the stove overnight. So far as I can remember you hear very little about food poisoning deaths from eating cold left out pizza. :D

Even better combine breakfast and dinner with a breakfast chicken or steak fajita with scrambled eggs, mushrooms, tomatoes, and bell peppers along with healthy helpings of salsa and pico de gallo!!

Gman

hard to post a cooking comment after TruHart1's picture of Mr. Fraser, but here goes.

Carry over cooking ruins eggs dishes the most often. If you a pan with a thick bottom on it, you are going to have carry over cooking. If you then cook your eggs until your required doneness, you will get overdone eggs. For scrambled eggs, try cooking until just lightly set and then turn the heat off and wait 30 seconds. You will end up with perfectly cooked eggs.

Just wanted to throw in a picture of artist Brent Ray Fraser which shows his hot body a bit better (though not his paintbrush):

http://media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/53/7c/d0/537cd080263fd0d57d9da2254e24dc1e.jpg

He stays in excellent shape and is quite a hunk!

TruHart1 :cool:

Why how congenial of you, Tru, to post a better picture. :p

Gman

Edited by Gar1eth

Just wanted to throw in a picture of artist Brent Ray Fraser which shows his hot body a bit better (though not his paintbrush):

http://media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/53/7c/d0/537cd080263fd0d57d9da2254e24dc1e.jpg

He stays in excellent shape and is quite a hunk!

A couple of years ago, he did a performance art piece where he ate a meal at an impressively laid out dinner table on the sidewalk of a busy Vancouver street....stark motherfucking naked.

Fluffy with a side of ketchup & lightly toasted white bread with butter & grape jelly.

~ Boomer ~

Yes... white bread and grape jelly part. :D

hard to post a cooking comment after TruHart1's picture of Mr. Fraser, but here goes.

Carry over cooking ruins eggs dishes the most often. If you a pan with a thick bottom on it, you are going to have carry over cooking. If you then cook your eggs until your required doneness, you will get overdone eggs. For scrambled eggs, try cooking until just lightly set and then turn the heat off and wait 30 seconds. You will end up with perfectly cooked eggs.

Excellent point...I also use finely diced tomatos, onions, and mushrooms, then scramble them together, and then add a sprinkling of Tabasco sauce on top.

did anybody's Mom always cut away that white stringy thing from the yolk and throw it away when she cracked open an egg?.....my Mom and her Mom did.....though I joked with them that it was the sperm from the rooster and that that's why they did it, they never denied my claim

I don't recall my mother ever doing this, but I do it. I don't know why "that white stringy thing" creeps me out so much. It can be a bit difficult to remove, and I sometimes wind up removing half the yolk in the process.

If your cholesterol is in the good range, my good man, you can actually get away with 2 whole eggs a day. There is evidence to suggest that persons who consume two whole eggs a day have lower incidence of Type II Diabetes.

What about the butter? That's a cholesterol factor too.

Currently eating my Sunday specialty - Migas. Click on the link for an easy recipe to add a Latin twist to scrambled eggs. You can make them mild and w/ eggs whites too! They look somewhat like the pic below::

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_WcD36GHVrow/TKi7zgVupFI/AAAAAAAAAlw/ELQmonFbRIs/s320/Migas-con-Huevo.jpg

My father was born in Europe and emigrated from Slovenia (he always said Austria) as a boy. Pork was his meat of choice. His breakfast ALWAYS consisted of basted eggs, slab bacon, dry toast and very strong coffee. My mother kept an old fashioned one pound Hills Brothers Coffee can on the stove in which she stored the bacon grease. In our household eggs were always fried in bacon grease. My father loathed butter which he call axel grease.

My father was born in Europe and emigrated from Slovenia (he always said Austria) as a boy.

When did he emigrate from Europe? If it was before 1918, Slovenia was part of the Austro-Hungarian Empire so he could validly say he came from Austria. After 1918 it would have been Yugoslavia (or Jugoslavia).

You are absolutely correct Mike. My grandfather came to the United States in 1906 and was followed four years later, in 1910, by my grandmother along with their oldest three children (my dad included). Dad always talked about passing through Vienna on the way to take passage from Bremerhaven, Germany to the U.S. He vividly remembered, as a ten year old, seeing the old Emperor Franz Joseph riding along the main street of Vienna in a horse drawn open carriage. Damn does this make me feel OLD

Damn does this make me feel OLD

I rarely think about it but I have similar 'old' feelings, as I have one degree of separation to someone who served in WW1 (my grandmother who was an army nurse in Egypt). 90 years later I was back in the same region on active military service, so there are parallels. (My grandfather served on the Western Front but died in the 1930s.)

Why how congenial of you, Tru, to post a better picture. :p

Gman

LOL.

A couple of years ago, he did a performance art piece where he ate a meal at an impressively laid out dinner table on the sidewalk of a busy Vancouver street....stark motherfucking naked.

I don't know if I'd call the meal impressive but here's the act of which you write:

http://www.straight.com/files/styles/popup/public/BrentRayFraserDining.jpg

I don't see any scrambled eggs, though! His thigh is covering his huevos! :D