Scrambled Eggs

Gar1eth
This topic is 2105 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I thought we might have a discussion on scrambled eggs for those of us who like them. Gordon's in this video look a bit too runny and labor intensive for me.

But what I wanted to make note of was the tomatoes and mushrooms. I love tomatoes and like mushrooms. I would never have thought of cooking fresh mushrooms this way. And both the tomatoes and mushrooms are delicious. I usually use the small grape tomatoes for this and the smaller whole mushrooms that I remove the stalk from.

At my local Safeway they have artisanal bread baked but that you heat in the oven. There's one brand they carry from a bakery in California-La Brea Bakery. They have a rustic wheat bread and a ciabatta. Eight to 10 minutes in the oven while you are cooking the eggs and tomatoes/mushrooms-and you have piping hot crusty bread to put the eggs on and slather with butter and preserves.

Gman

Edited by Gar1eth

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I want to move in with you, Gman....I'll buy the food if you'll cook for me.....

currently, in my healthy-eating effort, I'm using egg whites from Costco....I put a bit of currently-trendy coconut oil in a skillet, brown some white onion, add spinach and maybe green onion....add the egg....add dill, feta, avocado, and chia seed.....let it cook a bit, then scramble it up.....

definitely not glamorous or sophisticated.....I'm definitely not a chef.....occasionally, I'll add one whole egg to the egg white.....

your idea of putting it over bread is nice

I want to move in with you, Gman....I'll buy the food if you'll cook for me.....

currently, in my healthy-eating effort, I'm using egg whites from Costco....I put a bit of currently-trendy coconut oil in a skillet, brown some white onion, add spinach and maybe green onion....add the egg....add dill, feta, avocado, and chia seed.....let it cook a bit, then scramble it up.....

definitely not glamorous or sophisticated.....I'm definitely not a chef.....occasionally, I'll add one whole egg to the egg white.....

your idea of putting it over bread is nice

If your cholesterol is in the good range, my good man, you can actually get away with 2 whole eggs a day. There is evidence to suggest that persons who consume two whole eggs a day have lower incidence of Type II Diabetes.

If your cholesterol is in the good range, my good man, you can actually get away with 2 whole eggs a day. There is evidence to suggest that persons who consume two whole eggs a day have lower incidence of Type II Diabetes.

yeah, I know eggs are back in favor now.....I guess I just like the ease of pouring the egg whites out of the Costco carton.....lazy me....I need to get more adventurous in the kitchen.....wish it was as easy as Ramsey makes it look.....and that kitchen he has....wow!

Ramsay's scrambled eggs look excellent -- I like them creamy and not dry, so the creme fraiche was a nice touch -- but no wonder he burned the toast: He didn't do his mise en place first! It's hard to keep up even when there aren't that many things going on with the menu.

Does anyone know what cookware he's using in that video?

I watched the Jamie Oliver egg vid and his eggs looked similar to Gordons, runny. Maybe it's an English thing?

Hugs,

Greg

I think maybe it's a 'chef' thing. I've read multiple articles by chefs taking about scrambled eggs, they go on and on about 'custardy small curds'.

Gman

I think maybe it's a 'chef' thing. I've read multiple articles by chefs taking about scrambled eggs, they go on and on about 'custardy small curds'.

Gman

Maybe they do them runny since they may sit under a heat lamp for a few mins which may continue to cook them? Just popped in my head.

Hugs,

Greg

Besides, I am getting myself in cam model shape...lol....just kidding :)

I'd buy an entry to your room. ;)

Gman

Last night, I watched Brent Ray Fraser paint in his studio in BC for 2 hours on Chaturbate.

For those not in the know-as I was until just a minute ago-Mr. Fraser is an artist/model who paints with his tallywacker.

http://dd508hmafkqws.cloudfront.net/sites/default/files/styles/article_node_view/public/artist_0.jpg

Gman

PS-can we get back to eggs?:rolleyes:

When I was in medical school, I had a rotation in the Berkshires in Massachusetts. They fed us three squares a day. I had a two egg omlet with cheese, peppers, and ham for two weeks, every morning. At the end of it, my cholesterol was 135.

I like my eggs over easy, with whole wheat or other multi-grain buttered toast, and bacon on the side.

Has anyone ever tried a Shirred Egg? If not, I highly recommend giving them a try.

A bit of background first. Last week my organization's board meeting was held in Seattle. Our members are a healthy-eating group and I'd been working on menus with the two venues where the meeting was to be held. At one, the chef came up with an egg white frittata that was very good.

The other venue was a bit more difficult to get them outside the normal everyday scrambled eggs offering. I'd asked the chef to propose something different. He came back with Eggs Benedict. Nope, not what I wanted for this group, also too complicated to plate up (they proposed an action station). I sent him back to the kitchen to come up with something else. His idea blew me away and was a big hit with our group.

The chef created a Shirred Egg served with the yolk and an egg white only versions. These were served in a small mason jar, yes mason jar. They were just the right size to eat with a spoon. Toppings were set next to the egg dish and included smoked salmon, Mexican style shredded chicken, chives, and cheese. Most folks had the egg white version plain.

Here's a link to Martha Stewart's version of this dish that is close to how the chef prepared ours. He put the eggs in the mason jars, placed those in a pan of water and baked them. Think of a poached egg in a jar and you've got the idea.

http://www.marthastewart.com/921139/how-make-shirred-eggs

Now, who's up for a Scotch Egg?

Or how about a Vegan Sausage?

Edited by ArVaGuy