This topic is 3033 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

A reason to be very kind and very respectful to our esteemed GB. I have an "uncle Vito" that I can call if I need a "favor". However, I get the feeling that your "uncle Vito" is probably a bit higher in the chain of command than mine! ;)

I had an "Uncle Vito" who was one of Capone's top men in Chicago. Since then, most of the family members who were in it, have left the family business. I did however, have a "cousin" of sorts, who was a go to guy, of sorts. That last contact ended when I saw him on Dateline discussing criminal influence in NYC constrution and the unions. After that, I never saw him again, at least, under that name.

Perhaps if Trump gets the nomination, Dateline might want to contact him again.

I had a cousin whose job we could not quite figure out! He was bringing home the bacon, but seemed never to be working. Then one day on the front page of the local newspaper: low man on totem pole turns state's evidence etc! Well we suspected so it was not quite a shocker! He had to wear an ankle bracelet for a certain period of time and refrain from any type of gambling. Of course he somehow did manage to frequent Foxwoods and Mohegan Sun and get away with it. Heck it was on his blood!

I don't really know what you guys are talking about. But just bc some enterprising individuals who's last names often end in vowls are successful in business they are targeted and maligned. Isn't it the American dream to become successful? That is why my poor immigrant ancestors left Sicily in the first place. :rolleyes:

It is coincidence tho that since the Federal Penitentiary was built near Florence, Colorado my family has had innumerable family and friends from back east come to visit while visiting those poor enterprising good fellows. ;) just saying.

@whipped guy I think my uncle "vitto" if I had such a character, would be very interested in offering you a favor in exchange for what appears to be your expertise in possibly obtaining valuable information from people. I know it is a hobby for you but I can see potential, and uncle "vitto" always appreciates skill and discretion plus he never forgets a favor. ;)

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Cost of a ticket (one way) on the Titanic

• First Class (parlor suite) £870/$4,350 ($83,200 today)
  • First Class (berth) £30/$150 ($2975 today)
  • Second Class £12/$60 ($1200 today)
  • Third Class £3 to £8/$40 ($298 to $793 today)

ref: http://www.keyflux.c...tanic/facts.htm

With acknowledgement to AdamSmith:

http://clickamericana.com/wp-content/uploads/titanic-third-class-menu-04-14-1912.jpg

I don't really know what you guys are talking about. But just bc some enterprising individuals who's last names often end in vowls are successful in business they are targeted and maligned. Isn't it the American dream to become successful? That is why my poor immigrant ancestors left Sicily in the first place. :rolleyes:

It is coincidence tho that since the Federal Penitentiary was built near Florence, Colorado my family has had innumerable family and friends from back east come to visit while visiting those poor enterprising good fellows. ;) just saying.

@whipped guy I think my uncle "vitto" if I had such a character, would be very interested in offering you a favor in exchange for what appears to be your expertise in possibly obtaining valuable information from people. I know it is a hobby for you but I can see potential, and uncle "vitto" always appreciates skill and discretion plus he never forgets a favor. ;)

Well @geminibear my paternal grandmother and grandfather both came from the same town in southern Italy. They knew of each other, but did not actually know each other personally because the were born on opposite sides of the railroad tracks. Well, actually is was a stone footpath that was peppered with goat turd, but you get the idea. My grandfather landed in NYC and later on my grandmother's family landed in Boston. They both ended up in the same town because the word was sent out to all the new arrivals from Europe that the streets were paved with gold. Little did they know that was not the case, but actually they themselves would be paving the streets and no gold would be involved! In any event, it's a long story but they eventually recognized each other and the rest as they say is history.

Regarding, any talents that I possibly might have. Yes, I can definitely see how they could come in handy in certain family situations! :eek: And yes! Discretion is always assured! ;)

To get the thread back on track, I'm going to take a guess that there won't be a rock climbing wall or even a pool on the new version of the Titanic. I guess if we book passage we will have to find different ways to have some fun. And by the way, I'm with @FreshFluff... First class all the way! Heck you only go around once and since the trip might be the last hurrah anyway I'm going for broke!

I made a transatlantic crossing in 1991 on the QE2, New York to Southampton (it was a double bucket list trip- I few home on the Concorde). They still obsevered all the old forms, one did not dress for dinner the first night out, but a suit was required for three evenings, and a Tuxedo for the Captain's dinner. Our first night out we hit a terrible storm (it was early May), and we were tossed by 30' waves. We were forbidden from going on deck, and the Dining Room did a booming business in consommé and crackers that night. The next day I borrowed a novel from the library and sat in a deck chair covered with a blanket drinking tea and gazing at the Ocean. The Los Angeles Philharmonic was going on a European tour and gave concerts every night. It was like something out of a novel or film. Imagine my dismay a decade later when I attended my niece's wedding on the Grand Princess, cruising the Caribbean and found that shipboard life had devolved into a world where dressing up meant tennis shoes instead of flip flops. Where the "formal" night meant men in long pants instead of shorts. Oh dear, I really am a dreadful old snob.

I made a transatlantic crossing in 1991 on the QE2, New York to Southampton (it was a double bucket list trip- I few home on the Concorde). They still obsevered all the old forms, one did not dress for dinner the first night out, but a suit was required for three evenings, and a Tuxedo for the Captain's dinner. Our first night out we hit a terrible storm (it was early May), and we were tossed by 30' waves. We were forbidden from going on deck, and the Dining Room did a booming business in consommé and crackers that night. The next day I borrowed a novel from the library and sat in a deck chair covered with a blanket drinking tea and gazing at the Ocean. The Los Angeles Philharmonic was going on a European tour and gave concerts every night. It was like something out of a novel or film. Imagine my dismay a decade later when I attended my niece's wedding on the Grand Princess, cruising the Caribbean and found that shipboard life had devolved into a world where dressing up meant tennis shoes instead of flip flops. Where the "formal" night meant men in long pants instead of shorts. Oh dear, I really am a dreadful old snob.

What a fantastic, once in a lifetime trip with great memories. That is the kind of trip (QE2 to and Concorde return) that I would have loved to do but alas those days are gone.

To get the thread back on track, I'm going to take a guess that there won't be a rock climbing wall or even a pool on the new version of the Titanic. I guess if we book passage we will have to find different ways to have some fun. And by the way, I'm with @FreshFluff... First class all the way! Heck you only go around once and since the trip might be the last hurrah anyway I'm going for broke!

I like talking about our similar roots, and mob connections, (if there was such a thing ;))better than some old ship with with a bunch of WASPs pushing their way on to life rafts. :mad: But ya know I'm quirky. ;)

Well @geminibear my paternal grandmother and grandfather both came from the same town in southern Italy. They knew of each other, but did not actually know each other personally because the were born on opposite sides of the railroad tracks. Well, actually is was a stone footpath that was peppered with goat turd, but you get the idea. My grandfather landed in NYC and later on my grandmother's family landed in Boston. They both ended up in the same town because the word was sent out to all the new arrivals from Europe that the streets were paved with gold. Little did they know that was not the case, but actually they themselves would be paving the streets and no gold would be involved! In any event, it's a long story but they eventually recognized each other and the rest as they say is history.

Both sets of my maternal great grand parents were married in Sicily on Christmas Eve (1908). They had never met before. They were matched oldest brother to oldest sister. The brothers were 16 and 15, the sisters 14 and 12. :( The next morning their parents put them on the boat in steerage bound for the USA to work in John D Rockefeller's coal mines in Colorado. They spoke no English. They were to work to earn enough money to bring their parents and siblings to this land paved with gold, which they quickly found out it wasn't. :confused:

I was thinking more that it would be nice to have a lifeboat if some big iceberg got in our way.

Also, the third class menu is kind of icky. :eek:

Don't worry Fluff, we will be gong first class all the way. I understand that in first class the gruel is an organic based oat product that's garnished with a special extra virgin olive oil from the Puglia Region of Italy! Nothing but the best!

No need to worry your pretty little head about such trivialities.

I'm glad to hear that.By why did you post a photo of my social climbing mother!? :mad:

Don't worry Fluff, we will be gong first class all the way. I understand that in first class the gruel is an organic based oat product that's garnished with a special extra virgin olive oil from the Puglia Region of Italy! Nothing but the best!

It's not first class if they don't hire Alice Waters to make the food!

Where the "formal" night meant men in long pants instead of shorts. Oh dear, I really am a dreadful old snob.

No you are not a snob. You're lucky enough to understand what gracious living is and appreciate the sadness of its decline. Not too many places where it can be found these days. I mourn the loss.

Archived