This topic is 3033 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Titanic II: Fully functioning replica of original to set sail in 2018

Maybe it is just me, but there are some things you just don't do. You don't tug on Superman's cape, you don't spit into wind, you don't pull the mask off the Lone Ranger, and you don't sail on the Titanic. :eek:

Will you?

http://static.independent.co.uk/s3fs-public/styles/story_large/public/thumbnails/image/2014/04/30/18/pg-46-twitter-past-1-getty.jpg

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The proponent of this ship is currently financially embarrassed so it may not actually happen. I won't say he is like Donald J. Trump because he is not, but the comparison is not totally unrealistic. Mr Palmer is a member of the Australian Parliament, albeit one unlikely to be re-elected at the next election this year.

The proponent of this ship is currently financially embarrassed so it may not actually happen. I won't say he is like Donald J. Trump because he is not, but the comparison is not totally unrealistic. Mr Palmer is a member of the Australian Parliament, albeit one unlikely to be re-elected at the next election this year.

All kidding aside, I truly do think that it is irreverent to name any ship Titanic, and I practice irreverence like some people practice religion.

My great grand parents came from Sicily in steerage and look how I turned out. ;)

A reason to be very kind and very respectful to our esteemed GB. I have an "uncle Vito" that I can call if I need a "favor". However, I get the feeling that your "uncle Vito" is probably a bit higher in the chain of command than mine! ;)

By today's standards, the rooms on the ship are not good. Not only are their no private balconys but only a few deluxe rooms had a bathroom. Forget about air conditioning and other modern things like TV and WIFI.

Sorry, no bathroom but a chamber pot is reason alone not to go.

A few years ago while out in CA I took a tour of the Queen Mary. I thought that the accomodations were rather primitive by modern standards. I can only imagine what those of the Titanic were like! Since they turned the Queen Mary into a hotel I would assume that certain modernizations were made to the staterooms.

I had an "Uncle Vito" who was one of Capone's top men in Chicago. Since then, most of the family members who were in it, have left the family business. I did however, have a "cousin" of sorts, who was a go to guy, of sorts. That last contact ended when I saw him on Dateline discussing criminal influence in NYC constrution and the unions. After that, I never saw him again, at least, under that name.

Perhaps if Trump gets the nomination, Dateline might want to contact him again.

I had an Uncle Vito who was one of Capone's top men in Chicago, although since then, most of the family members who were in it, have left the family business. I did however, have a "cousin" of sorts, who was a go to guy of sorts. That last contact ended when I saw him on Dateline and then never again, at least under that name.

I had a cousin whose job we could not quite figure out! He was bringing home the bacon, but seemed never to be working. Then one day on the front page of the local newspaper: low man on totem pole turns state's evidence etc! Well we suspected so it was not quite a shocker! He had to wear an ankle bracelet for a certain period of time and refrain from any type of gambling. Of course he somehow did manage to frequent Foxwoods and Mohegan Sun and get away with it. Heck it was on his blood!

I had a cousin whose job we could not quite figure out! He was bringing home the bacon, but seemed never to be working. Then one day on the front page of the local newspaper: low man on totem pole turns state's evidence etc! Well we suspected so it was not quite a shocker! He had to wear an ankle bracelet for a certain period of time and refrain from any type of gambling. Of course he somehow did manage to frequent Foxwoods and Mohegan Sun and get away with it. Heck it was on his blood!

Reminds me of a cute story. Many years ago I went to meet my new brother-n-law at his family home in Annapolis. It was a grand place, and of course I was curious about the family history. Standing on the dock one night overlooking the Chesapeake, I said "John, what did your family do?" He looked at me with a smirk, and simply said, "Daddy was in pharmaceuticals"...enough said.

And yes...I'd sail on the new Titanic in a New York Minute. ;)

And fingers crossed, there are rumblings that this beauty might see open ocean again. There is a conservancy and investors have stepped forward to save her from the scrap yard.

SS-UNITED-STATES.gif

The SS United States

She is to this day, the fastest ocean liner to cross the Atlantic in either direction. Even in her retirement, she retains the Blue Riband, the accolade given to the passenger liner crossing the Atlantic Ocean in regular service with the highest speed. 3 days 10 hours 40 minutes.

Reminds me of a cute story. Many years ago I went to meet my new brother-n-law at his family home in Annapolis. It was a grand place, and of course I was curious about the family history. Standing on the dock one night overlooking the Chesapeake, I said "John, what did your family do?" He looked at me and smiled, and simply said, "Daddy was in pharmaceuticals"...that always cracked me up.

And yes...I'd sail on the new Titanic in a New York Minute. ;)

And fingers crossed, there are rumblings that this beauty might see open ocean again. There is a conservancy and investors have stepped forward to save her from the scrap yard.

SS-UNITED-STATES.gif

The SS United States

She is to this day, the fastest ocean liner to cross the Atlantic in either direction. Even in her retirement, she retains the Blue Riband, the accolade given to the passenger liner crossing the Atlantic Ocean in regular service with the highest speed. 3 days 10 hours 40 minutes.

I like your style BVB! Perhaps we can line up a few other passengers for that maiden voyage... Though it would not technically be a "maiden" voyage for us. If so I would gladly go down with and on with one and all on the ship! If that makes any sense!

Also, the SS United States! Yes, I had heard about the possibility that it could be restored! That's what a ship is really supposed to look like. Not the floating hotels of today! I do have a soft spot for all those old ships! Incidentally, my parents were on the final cruise of the Constitution way back when. Another classic that has been lost.

Archived