Fave Movies, Any Subject

quoththeraven
This topic is 2397 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No Almodavar????

My favourites are too long to mention but include: (most Almodovar)

Sunset Boulevard

All About Eve

Camille

The Shop Around the Corner

The Bishop's Wife

Bride of Frankenstein

Dracula (Lugosi)

Maytime (Jeanette MacDonald)

First Love (Deanna Durbin)

Sound of Music (first major film to influence me and make a life long Julie Andrews fan)

Happiness

Mommie Dearest (which I thought was a Disney Movie as it bore such a resemblance to my own home life)

Pyscho

Grand Budapest Hotel

Garbo Talks (rare flop for Sidney Lumet that the critics LOATHED, but I don't care, find it adorable)

Goodbye Mr Chips (original with Robert Donat)

Prime of Miss Jean Brodie

Star! (another massive flop, deservedly so, but fascinating for me)

Seeing as this is the second thread I've posted in as many minutes, clearly I'm in need of mental stimulation. I blame not being able to attend today's festivities.

Anyway, I'm asking for your favorite movie(s). Mine is Akira Kurosawa's 1954 movie Seven Samurai, of which The Magnificent Seven is an adaptation. It has been since I saw it as a teenager.

Gone with the Wind -- Whatever Happened to Baby Jane -- Brokeback Mountain - The Most Magnificent Marigold Hotel --- Bent -- Dreamgirls ---

The Color Purple -- The Birdcage -- Sunset Blvd. --

Woman in the Dunes

On my list of movies to watch. So many movies, so little time.

I recently finished watching the last disc of a nine-hour six movie marathon -- Kobayashi's The Human Condition starring Tatsuya Nakadai. Probably the greatest, most realistic anti-war film ever and all at the expense of the Japanese army. It's not terribly bloody, but it is brutal.

What about the Dogma movies? I don't remember the titles and the directors. I enjoy a lot good acting and all those movies casted wonderful performers.

Do you mean Dogma/Dogme 95? Lars von Trier is the director most associated with it. I've never seen any of his movies nor any of the other Dogma 95 films. I tend not to like movies filmed with a cool, detached POV, and from what I understand that's what von Trier specializes in.

On my list of movies to watch. So many movies, so little time.

I recently finished watching the last disc of a nine-hour six movie marathon -- Kobayashi's The Human Condition starring Tatsuya Nakadai. Probably the greatest, most realistic anti-war film ever and all at the expense of the Japanese army. It's not terribly bloody, but it is brutal.

Do you mean Dogma/Dogme 95? Lars von Trier is the director most associated with it. I've never seen any of his movies nor any of the other Dogma 95 films. I tend not to like movies filmed with a cool, detached POV, and from what I understand that's what von Trier specializes in.

Those are exactly the movies I'm referring to and although I have not seen them in about 20 years I don't think the depict a detached POV. Give them a try, von Trier was not the only involved director.

Those are exactly the movies I'm referring to and although I have not seen them in about 20 years I don't think the depict a detached POV. Give them a try, von Trier was not the only involved director.

I'll keep that in mind. I'd probably be more interested in a non-von Trier product. Reading about some of his later movies and what he subjects his actresses to, I concluded he may not like women. Or maybe it's people at large. My recollection is too fuzzy to tell.

I'll keep that in mind. I'd probably be more interested in a non-von Trier product. Reading about some of his later movies and what he subjects his actresses to, I concluded he may not like women. Or maybe it's people at large. My recollection is too fuzzy to tell.

Check Festen (The Celebrations), by Vitenberg. And I think I do remember a good van Tiers movie, The Idiots.

How could I have forgotten that!

I also liked Allegro non Troppo (especially the Sibelius Valse Triste), and Fantasia II.

Animated movies other than anime, already mentioned:

Toy Story

Finding Nemo

Snow White

Wallace and Gromit: The Curse of the Were-Rabbit

The Iron Giant

Babe (half and half, like Mary Poppins)

1. Animal House
  2. National Lampoon's Vacation
  3. Philadelphia Story
  4. Maltese Falcon
  5. Casablanca
  6. Rear Window
  7. True Grit
  8. Rooster Cogburn
  9. Butch Cassidy & the Sundance Kid
  10. Family Plot
  11. Charlotte's Web
  12. Doubt

Wow I'm weirder than I thought. :eek:

After some thought added:

• Goodfellas

• The Godfather I & II
  • Bronx Tale
  • My Blue Heaven
  • Mystic River
  • Good Will Hunting
  • The Departed
  • Tinker Taylor Soldier Spy
  • Young Frankenstein

Sill eclectic :rolleyes:

1. Animal House
  2. National Lampoon's Vacation
  3. Philadelphia Story
  4. Maltese Falcon
  5. Casablanca
  6. Rear Window
  7. True Grit
  8. Rooster Cogburn
  9. Butch Cassidy & the Sundance Kid
  10. Family Plot
  11. Charlotte's Web
  12. Doubt

Wow I'm weirder than I thought. :eek:

After some thought added:

• Goodfellas

• The Godfather I & II
  • Bronx Tale
  • My Blue Heaven
  • Mystic River
  • Good Will Hunting
  • The Departed
  • Tinker Taylor Soldier Spy
  • Young Frankenstein

Sill eclectic :rolleyes:

Half your list is either on my list or my second-tier list. You have good taste! :p

these are my favorites.

Titanic

The Wizard of Oz

V for Vendetta

Beauty and the Beast

E.T.

Jurassic Park

Born Yesterday

Miracle on 34th Street

National Velvet

A Patch of Blue

To Kill a Mockingbird