Fave Movies, Any Subject

quoththeraven
This topic is 2397 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

For a good laugh, The Opposite of Sex.

I must have been one if the very few people who saw the stage musical version of "The Opposite of Sex" based on the wonderful film. All I need to say is David Burtka, NPH's husband, played the bisexual boyfriend of the teacher. David is sexy, but can not sing or act, but otherwise a star in the making!

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Which anime do you recommend?

I've only seen two of Hiyao Miyazaki's films, Spirited Away and Princess Mononoke (I prefer Spirited Away), but any of his movies are worth watching. There's a reason he and Kurosawa are the only Japanese filmmakers to receive honorary Oscars. How he and his animators got everything to look 3D is beyond me, but they did.

Millennium Actress by Satoshi Kon is also very good. His artwork is even more dazzling than Miyazaki's, but he doesn't create the illusion of depth as well. Since Millennium Actress is about acting, artifice, and the passage of time, that might be a deliberate choice. He's made fewer movies (and I seem to remember he died tragically young), but they should be worth checking out too.

If we're talking anime TV series, we could be here a long time.

All Kurosawa

Most of Tarkoski

Most of Eisenstein

Some Kubrik, Allen, and too many more. Impossible to choose.

I wouldn't say all of Kurosawa, but lots, especially from the 50s and 60s. I'd never heard of Tarkovsky until he was mentioned by some friends at http://akirakurosawa.info/, a website dedicated to all things Kurosawa (and to some extent, film). You'll probably be able to figure out which poster is me. :eek:

Eisenstein's Ivan the Terrible and Fritz Lang's M are the only European movies on the list, although Jean Renoir's The Grand Illusion or The Rules of the Game might be on it if I remembered them better.

All of the above, plus....Lawrence of Arabia, The African Queen, the Philadelphia Story, The Sting, Ghost Busters, Some Like It Hot, Charade, The Treasure of the Sierra Madre, Raiders of the Lost Arc, La Strada, Moulin Rouge (2001), Metropolis, LA Story......... And, yes...GWTW.

..... OMG I would have a hard time naming my 100 fav films, much less a single one ... I just love movies. Great thread. We are lucky to have this treasury of art at our disposal. Sometimes, as I'm browsing through the channels, I stumble upon a film like Young Frankenstein or The Great Race. I pause for an intended moment, and end up watching the whole film, absolutely captivated. Again!

Not exhaustive, but at or near top of list:

2001, Clockwork Orange, Barry Lyndon, Strangelove, Shining

Forbidden Planet

Horror of Dracula

House of Dark Shadows

Wizard of Oz

Purple Noon (earlier version of Talented Mr Ripley, had to be less explicit about the homoeroticism but far more atmospheric & weird than the more recent version)

The Rose Tattoo

Belle du Jour

La Vie en Rose (Piaf)

Brazil

Blade Runner

The Raven (Roger Corman dir., Price, Karloff, Lorre)

Plan 9 from Outer Space :D

Young Frankenstein

Oh boy oh boy oh boy.

Favorite movie about the fashion industry: The Devil Wears Prada (if we can count The September Issue, even though it's a docu, then TSI gets my vote)

Favorite chick flick: Mean Girls

Favorite cartoon movie: The Land Before Time

Favorite animé movie: Ghost in the Shell

Favorite Pixar movie: Up

Favorite M. Night Shyamalan movie: The Sixth Sense

Favorite Zac Efron movie: The Neighbors

Favorite animated Disney movie: Beauty and the Beast

Favorite horror movie: The Silence of the Lambs

Favorite movie trilogy: The Lord of the Rings (it was very close between this and Star Wars episodes 4, 5, and 6)

Favorite coming of age movie: Jongens

Favorite cheesy movie: To Wong Foo Thanks for Everything, Julie Newmar

Favorite DC movie (so far): The Dark Knight

Favorite Marvel movie (so far): Avengers

Favorite X-Men movie: X2: X-Men United

Favorite foreign film: Not One Less

Favorite movie about life (I can't think of a proper category): Scent of a Woman

Favorite movie about embracing change: Chocolat

West Side Story......................Loved it as a child and still love the music and dancing

Lion in Winter........................Young Anthony Hopkins Katherine Hepburn Peter O'Toole

Anne of a Thousand Days.......Richard Burton Stimulated me to learn more about Henry VIII

A Man for All Seasons.............Love a costume drama Don't know if it held up over time

That Thing You Do..................Not a great movie but it has great significance to me

I wouldn't say all of Kurosawa, but lots, especially from the 50s and 60s. I'd never heard of Tarkovsky until he was mentioned by some friends at http://akirakurosawa.info/, a website dedicated to all things Kurosawa (and to some extent, film). You'll probably be able to figure out which poster is me. :eek:

Eisenstein's Ivan the Terrible and Fritz Lang's M are the only European movies on the list, although Jean Renoir's The Grand Illusion or The Rules of the Game might be on it if I remembered them better.

What about the Nosferatu and (I'm not sure about the English title) Dr. Caligari's Cabinet.

What about the Nosferatu and (I'm not sure about the English title) Dr. Caligari's Cabinet.

I haven't seen Nosferatu. I like The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari but I don't love it. (And I only saw it once years ago.) I was more impressed with Metropolis, which I saw about the same time I saw Dr. Caligari (and M, but I've seen M once since then).

The French New Wave, Bergman, et al leave me cold. I haven't seen any of Wim Wenders movies, although I should. There's an Antonioni and a Fellini film on my second-tier list.

No Monthy Pyton?

No, although I like Life of Brian. Their humor doesn't click for me the way it does others. Monty Python and the Holy Grail is an extreme example of this.

Two movies I meant to add to my list of comedies: Young Frankenstein and Blazing Saddles. And Juno is on my second-tier list but I don't consider it a comedy.

... Witness for the Prosecution (a must-see if you haven't)...

That's for sure!

... and just about any Alfred Hitchcock movie.

Agreed! I think I've seen Rear Window and Vertigo most often of the Hitchcock films, but Notorious is not to be overlooked, and I am overdue to see Lifeboat again (which I sometimes forget is a Hitchcock movie).

Also, I can always watch Casablanca ... and All About Eve (great characters, amazing dialogue) ... and The Maltese Falcon ... and Meet Me in St. Louis ... and ... and ...

I haven't seen Nosferatu. I like The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari but I don't love it. (And I only saw it once years ago.) I was more impressed with Metropolis, which I saw about the same time I saw Dr. Caligari (and M, but I've seen M once since then).

The French New Wave, Bergman, et al leave me cold. I haven't seen any of Wim Wenders movies, although I should. There's an Antonioni and a Fellini film on my second-tier list.

I don't mind about the French New Wave either, but I do love Bergman, Wenders, Antonioni and Fellini. You should add hyper realists as Passolini, love him. And you MUST SEE the Nosferatu, one of my favorite expressionists pearls.

I agree about Python. I considered it, but in the end it didn't make the list. I think what he does is clever, and entertaining, but like Quoththeraven the humor just doesn't click with me like The Grand Budapest Hotel does...and you are possibly right about Juno, but like Little Miss Sunshine (which should have made the list) I thought it was a wonderful film.

I had a really unhappy childhood, so I tend to be attracted to escapist, unrealistic science fiction.

So the first movie I recall being total captivated like, unsurprisingly, The Wizard of OZ.

Others have been

The Last Starfighter

Dark Crystal

2001 A Space Odyssey

Blade Runner

Disney's Beauty & the Beast (which I saw the night after having taken the boat ride dispensing the ashes of

my housemate - claimed by the plague).

There were a couple of movie adaptations of operas that really moved me:

La Bohème (sorry, don't remember which version)

Carmen (the one with Migenes & Domingo)

I agree about Python. I considered it, but in the end it didn't make the list.

Likewise. While to me Python's output in general is one of the funniest things of the past five millenia, for some reason Holy Grail just does not make for particularly sidesplitting rewatching. Whereas every re-viewing of Young Frankenstein, for instance, has me on the floor.

http://37.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lwb714oAMU1qj71muo1_r1_500.gif

tumblr_lgt3zxz98O1qzuyazo1_500.gif

"Blücher!"

Likewise. While to me Python's output in general is one of the funniest things of the past five millenia, for some reason Holy Grail just does not make for particularly sidesplitting rewatching. Whereas every re-viewing of Young Frankenstein, for instance, has me on the floor.

http://37.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lwb714oAMU1qj71muo1_r1_500.gif

tumblr_lgt3zxz98O1qzuyazo1_500.gif

"Blücher!"

Case in point...these images alone made me laugh this morning.

Archived