my own space

craigville beach
This topic is 3045 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I was talking recently with a gentleman that travels a great deal for business. He appears to spend more time in the air than at his home. He is a tall guy so "spillage" into the next seat isn't an issue but he has long legs. I asked him how he manages with his knees up to the middle of his chest for so many hours. He laughed and said he manages.

How does everyone else deal with it. I get really really pissed off when I get seated next to someone who spills over on to my side. You know the type, they try and put the arm rest up to make it easier to invade your space. I paid for my seat for me, not to share it with everyone else. I try to get the isle seat when I can, but sometimes you can't

How does everyone else deal with the desire to travel, but the need to your own space. :rolleyes:

I travel weekly for my day job. If I'm in coach, I always book an aisle seat so I at least have some breathing room to one side. Second, even if I'm in an aisle seat and spill-over passenger is beside me, I'll move to an open seat somewhere else. Even if it's a middle seat, I'll take it not to have encroachment. Finally, I will always put down the armrest no matter what happens with the other person. I paid the same for that seat as they did. They booked it knowing spillage was an issue, so it's up to them to be uncomfortable and not project it onto me. Also, most folks in this size category help things by crossing their arms on their chest. That can free up as much as 6-8 inches, so ask a flight attendant to ask them to do this. Otherwise, I pray for a short flight.

I always fly first or business. ;) IF I can't, I make sure I am checked in at least 2 hours before take off, and pay the entrance fee for the first class lounge, there, I consume, comfortably, a minimum of 3 tall G&T's. The first G&T is just to take the edge off, after a hefty tip...well, the bartender always takes care of me. By the time I board, it's nap time, and short of a hijack, it's impossible to bother me.:D

I travel 80% of my work time. That does come with some redeeming things like upgrades and such, but unfortunately, airlines dont yet provide an "ignore" button for rude, drunk, or crazy co-passengers, including the dreaded "encroacher."

I'm short and skinny so I always choose window seats so I can lean towards the window in case the encroacher begins to lean my way. If it gets annoying, I speak up. If it still doesn't work...I fart in their direction. Works like a charm.

I always fly first or business. ;) IF I can't, I make sure I am checked in at least 2 hours before take off, and pay the entrance fee for the first class lounge, there, I consume, comfortably, a minimum of 3 tall G&T's. The first G&T is not bad, but after a hefty tip...well, the bartender always takes care of me. By the time I board, it's nap time, and short of a hijack, it's impossible to bother me.:D

I wish there was a like x3 button

Some airlines are banning that little plastic clip.

If stuck with an encroacher, I always immediately put the arm rest down and move a bit towards the encroacher so he/she must move a bit away from me - then I move back and by the time he/she notices, the flight is over.

Alcohol NEVER hurts.

I usually fly Southwest (they are the main airline that goes to and from where I want to go), buy the earlybird option (to avoid any chance of a middle seat), and make a beeline for the back of the plane when boarding.....I ask if the flight is going to be full or not....if full, I'll usually sit on the aisle back there, so I at least have space on one side.....if there's something outside I really want to see along the way, I'll suffer thru a window seat.....I get mild claustrophobia if things are really full, tight, crowded on a plane and the aisle helps that

as for encroachers, luckily it hasn't been too much of a problem....hogging the armrest would be a concern....

Curious azdr, why the back of the plane?

if the flight is not full or only close to full, it'll be a bit roomier back there and a better chance of not having anybody next to me.....works, of course, only with Southwest and their one-class open-seating policy....I do know I'm also close to being the last person off the plane, but I usually am not in a rush.....

I was talking recently with a gentleman that travels a great deal for business. He appears to spend more time in the air than at his home. He is a tall guy so "spillage" into the next seat isn't an issue but he has long legs. I asked him how he manages with his knees up to the middle of his chest for so many hours. He laughed and said he manages.

How does everyone else deal with it. I get really really pissed off when I get seated next to someone who spills over on to my side. You know the type, they try and put the arm rest up to make it easier to invade your space. I paid for my seat for me, not to share it with everyone else. I try to get the isle seat when I can, but sometimes you can't

How does everyone else deal with the desire to travel, but the need to your own space. :rolleyes:

I'm wondering how JDXXX sits in those small, tight seats....I don't think his legs get cramped but what about his..... :) . . Ok, I'm being silly today... so what. . . hahaha

Curious azdr, why the back of the plane?

your chances of survival if the plane goes down are much higher in the back of the plane. In really bad crashes The front is nearly always destroyed and where the majority of the fatalities are.

When I was traveling for work (about 30 weeks out of the year) I always did an aisle and I also planned flights that were historically less desirable. I was doing la to Chicago or la to Newark so these odd hour flights were also better when storms hit. If there are back to back flights which there usually are from major hubs to major hubs book the second of the two flights. Everybody wants to be on the first one. The only exception to this general rule were flights out of sf where the later the flight the higher chance of being fogged in and Dallas because I couldn't wait to get the fuck out of that city.

Flying is one of the times that I am grateful for my modest stature, 5' 8". My best friend, 6' 4" suffers on transoceanic or trans continental flights while i am relatively comfortable in the tiny standard economy space. Seriously, if I can't afford business class, the new economy plus seating is well worth the higher fare. The extra few inches keep the encroaches at bay, and you can actually cross your legs! Next best is an emergency exit row, followed by an aisle seat. If all else fails, I smoke a joint on the way to the airport, pop a Xanax and think erotic thoughts. The time flies and if the erotic thoughts take over, a trip to the restroom for some manual relief clicks off a few miles. Basically, flying is a huge pain, but it beats the bus.

For years I was the "encroacher" at 6'4" (38" inseam on the legs) and 330+ lbs (48" waist). In 2010 I started losing weight and am currently 200 lbs (36" waist) but still have the 38" inseam.

I've always wanted a window seat since it allows me to "hug" the window and take up less space (I have very broad shoulders) for the dreaded middle seat. Even when I was fat I insisted on the arm rest being down. I felt that was less intrusive for everyone.

I'm currently Medallion status which allows me to select "premium" seats. On almost every flight in the past year I've snagged an exit row window with the extra legroom. That's a huge help.

FYI for guys with long legs, look out for developing pulmonary embolisms (blood clots to the lungs) while flying. That happened to me last Halloween when I flew from San Diego to my Portland home. Wasn't able to snag the exit row and leg room was really limited. The inability to stretch my legs resulted in my body causing blood clots in my lungs. Ended up in the hospital for a few days and will be on Warfarin (rat poison) the rest of my life.

Bottom line for me, DEMAND that no one encroaches on your space. And, when the idiot in front tries to recline their seat against my knees, I make sure to loudly inform them that I can't remove my knees and they can't recline. I have no problem getting the flight attendants involved when some asshole tries to recline into my knees. I simply point out the airline responsibility for any medical issues resulting from their lack of adequate leg room. (Yes, they can require me to have two seats if I'm fat. But, they cannot require me two seats if I'm tall. Leg room is their issue - not MINE!!!)

What'll I bet you SeaboyforHire keeps sneezing into his hand until the spillage person runs screaming into the next cabin.... :)

Really? You think Seaboy would do that? He's so sweet and kind. But actually I think he would sneeze as you should, in your arm but I think he'd sneeze in the spillage person's arm... then you'll see the passenger screaming like a little girl into the next cabin. . :)

Some airlines are banning that little plastic clip.

If stuck with an encroacher, I always immediately put the arm rest down and move a bit towards the encroacher so he/she must move a bit away from me - then I move back and by the time he/she notices, the flight is over.

Alcohol NEVER hurts.

I never have this luck, the people I'm stuck next to don't have a problem touching or leaning on me and I can't get away. I don't understand why people are comfortable making contact with a complete stranger in his 50's. Maybe I shouldn't shower so much. And I'm never lucky enough to be sitting next to a good looking, in shape, younger man.

I never have this luck, the people I'm stuck next to don't have a problem touching or leaning on me and I can't get away. I don't understand why people are comfortable making contact with a complete stranger in his 50's. Maybe I shouldn't shower so much. And I'm never lucky enough to be sitting next to a good looking, in shape, younger man.

Perhaps you should look at the person, lick your lips, and say "mmmmmm, you're hot." They will probably keep to themselves.

For years I was the "encroacher" at 6'4" (38" inseam on the legs) and 330+ lbs (48" waist). In 2010 I started losing weight and am currently 200 lbs (36" waist) but still have the 38" inseam.

I've always wanted a window seat since it allows me to "hug" the window and take up less space (I have very broad shoulders) for the dreaded middle seat. Even when I was fat I insisted on the arm rest being down. I felt that was less intrusive for everyone.

I'm currently Medallion status which allows me to select "premium" seats. On almost every flight in the past year I've snagged an exit row window with the extra legroom. That's a huge help.

FYI for guys with long legs, look out for developing pulmonary embolisms (blood clots to the lungs) while flying. That happened to me last Halloween when I flew from San Diego to my Portland home. Wasn't able to snag the exit row and leg room was really limited. The inability to stretch my legs resulted in my body causing blood clots in my lungs. Ended up in the hospital for a few days and will be on Warfarin (rat poison) the rest of my life.

Bottom line for me, DEMAND that no one encroaches on your space. And, when the idiot in front tries to recline their seat against my knees, I make sure to loudly inform them that I can't remove my knees and they can't recline. I have no problem getting the flight attendants involved when some asshole tries to recline into my knees. I simply point out the airline responsibility for any medical issues resulting from their lack of adequate leg room. (Yes, they can require me to have two seats if I'm fat. But, they cannot require me two seats if I'm tall. Leg room is their issue - not MINE!!!)

I'm surprised that you're on an anticoagulant for life. When I had my post-operative pulmonary embolism [i don't know the details; my sister says I went down, and they threw her out of the room], they had me on coumadin / warfarin up to discharge. I then had a relatively major (> 2 blood units) bleed into my calf, and they took me off blood thinners.

I hate taking enoxaparin (kind of heparin shots), or aspirin (general principles). Fortunately, no further misadventures.

Travel first class.

Archived