A woman on the $20 bill. Who would you suggest?

marylander1940
This topic is 3165 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

A woman on the $20 bill. Who would you suggest?

A growing movement of Americans wants to replace Andrew Jackson on the $20 bill with the face of a woman.

School kids started by looking at all the U.S. currency and came to a conclusion.

"They just show all the men and not the women. So I think it's unfair," said student Evan Yeary.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation-now/2015/03/20/andrew-jackson-20-bill-woman/25073049/

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am torn between Susan B Anthony who worked diligently for Women's Suffrage and Ru Paul who teaches us all how women suffer for beauty.

It does take a lot of money to look that cheap and a twenty would be a good start, so maybe Dolly Parton could be on the front and on the back, a depiction of her beauty shop in Steel Magnolias.

Betsy Ross. Susan B. Anthony should remain on the $1 coin, the dollar bill should be eliminated and perhaps think about a $2 coin with Abigail Adams or Dolly Madison.

Another thought: Why can't the US have more than one person on a bill? Keep Jackson, alternate with Ross or someone else. Also dramatically adding colour would help everyone distinguish different values.

Guest Starbuck

Sojourner Truth ... Helen Keller ... Eleanor Roosevelt. Hard to narrow it down. All three who came to mind were powerful, effective advocates for oppressed, challenged, disrespected members of our society.

Bill, Maya Angelo is actually the city director of Elizabeth New Jersey. He was elected Maya in a close election with the former mayor.

Right! Maya Angelou is the late poet laureate. Although I have a lot of respect for her, I don't believe the $20 bill is the right place to honor her. If we choose to put a woman's picture on the $20 bill, I would suggest Betsy Ross, Rosa Parks, or Susan B Anthony. That being said, do we really want to honor any influential figure by putting their picture on a dirty piece of paper that gets folded, crumpled, dropped, and stuck in a drawer? Does anyone actually look at a piece of currency, other than to ascertain the denomination?

do we really want to honor any influential figure by putting their picture on a dirty piece of paper that gets folded, crumpled, dropped, and stuck in a drawer? Does anyone actually look at a piece of currency, other than to ascertain the denomination?

The Brits and Canadians do it. They have a woman on ALL of the currency. :cool:

Oh, I'm not disputing putting a woman on the currency. I'm questioning whether we should "honor" anyone! Put pictures of the Grand Canyon, Smoky Mountains, or Washington Monument.

http://sharing.newsnet5.com/sharescnn/photo/2015/03/07/1425762920_14610191_ver1.0_640_480.jpg

The American Moses, Harriet Tubman or Sacajawea just to get back at Andrew Jackson's holocaust of the Cherokee and other Eastern tribes

http://www.luckymojo.com/sacagawea-dollar-coin.jpg

Whistler's mom, just to honor him as a painter.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/1/1b/Whistlers_Mother_high_res.jpg

Actually, the Canadians have a woman (aka Her Majesty The Queen) on the front ONLY on the $20 bill. The Queen is also on the front of all Canadian coins and she featured on the front of the no longer produced $1, $2 and $1,000 bills. Historic male Prime Ministers, sadly none of whom were Queens (although there have been rumours about Mackenzie King) are on the front of the rest. The obverse sides have various scenic and cultural themes, including a non-specific female medical researcher on the back of the $100.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frontier_Series

http://i925.photobucket.com/albums/ad99/ardentquixote/Currency.png

You folks are much too serious in your choices here. As Americans continue to pay homage to the bitch goddess of the ephemeral, I think the face of the new $20 bill should be Kim Kardashian or Lindsay Lohan. But why do we have to decide? Why not a triumvirate of, say, RuPaul (that actually works for me because I heard her on an interview and she was quite articulate about her craft and what drag means to people), Mae West (an amazing business woman and an icon of the independent spirit), and Dolly Parton (doesn't she just kind of represent all of America in her own way?).

Really - these other more serious choices such as Rosa Parks, Eleanor Roosevelt, Harriet Tubman - well that's just showing that some of us are older and cling to more outdated values than we would generally admit.

I have to confess though, the nomination for Whistler's Mother cracked me up - just how plain do you want your money to be? A little glitz and glamor would be just a lot more fun, and shouldn't money be about fun? Have we all just up and forgotten what this message board/web site is about? Some of us are suddenly going all high and mighty here.

Australia has $1 and $2 coins, the $5 note has the Queen, then all the other banknotes have a woman one side and a man on the other. All the notes are different colours, like most other countries, and they increase slightly in length as the value increases.

Archived