A woman on the $20 bill. Who would you suggest?

marylander1940
This topic is 3166 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not amongst the growing number of Americans thinking we need a woman on any paper bill. I can believe that we'll have a woman president in my lifetime so if we want to generally stick with presidents on paper money we'll have that opportunity. I do like the new $100 bills. But then again, I can get along well with new or old $100 bills.

Who was Eleanor Roosevelt other than the husband of someone? OK, she was a bit more than that, but the only reason she was famous was because of whom she was married to. I would prefer someone who was famous purely because of what she did herself, such as Harriet Tubman or Sandra Day O'Connor, the first female associate justice of SCOTUS.

I know we can't, but I think Lady Bracknell from The Importance of Being Earnest of Oscar Wilde would bring some sobriety to our society.

An unknown lassie: Dr. B.E. Waud who, with her husband, discovered how to use curare and other paralytics appropriately in surgery. A tad

recherche, but important, non the less.

I think Eleanor Roosevelt with the following Quote:

“The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps!”

Kind of fits GOP mentality, don't it?

Who was Eleanor Roosevelt other than the husband of someone? OK, she was a bit more than that, but the only reason she was famous was because of whom she was married to. I would prefer someone who was famous purely because of what she did herself, such as Harriet Tubman or Sandra Day O'Connor, the first female associate justice of SCOTUS.

Although Eleanor Roosevelt may have been famous for being First Lady to FDR, she also was a strong feminist who pushed for fair treatment of women and was very set on trying to bring racial equality to our country. When Marian Anderson, who was already a world renowned, very successful singer, was refused the venue of Constitution Hall in Washington D.C. for a recital, by the Daughters of the American Revolution (who stated that that hall only allowed white performers) in 1939, Eleanor Roosevelt was among those who believed the D.A.R. were in the wrong, and, in fact, was instrumental in having Ms. Anderson give her recital on the steps of the Lincoln Memorial on Easter Sunday of that year, free and open to the public (and the audience was completely racially mixed!) I think Eleanor Roosevelt shall always be remembered much more as a humanitarian and defender of the downtrodden than as Franklin Roosevelt's wife!

TruHart1 :cool:

Thank you, N2T, for reminding me of one of my childhood idols - Shari Lewis and Lambchop (well I guess that's actually two idols)

Also thanks to the guys who spoke up about Eleanor Roosevelt - and yes, she will be remembered for her own contributions rather than as FDR's wife.

Although Eleanor Roosevelt may have been famous for being First Lady to FDR, she also was a strong feminist who pushed for fair treatment of women and was very set on trying to bring racial equality to our country.

...and abroad. Whatever its impact, the UN declaration of Human Rights, which she helped draft, was ground-breaking for its time.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Universal_Declaration_of_Human_Rights

Just saw a suggestion I like on a Tumblr blog I follow: Change the law to permit use of living persons images, and put the bipartisan ticket of Justices O'Connor (first women) and Ginsburg (second woman) on the $20 bill.

If not them, my picks are: Sojourner Truth, Harriet Tubman, or Eleanor Roosevelt, in that order.

• 1 month later...

An interesting debate. As I said some time ago, we have one woman and one man on all of our bank notes except the $5 (one on each side). We have also ditched $1 and $2 notes for coins and deleted 1 and 2 cent coins completely (NZ has ditched 5c coins as well). We seem to manage without controversy about who is on the banknotes and what coins we have.

Archived