The Dividing Line between MIDDLE AGE and OLD AGE

Guest Starbuck
This topic is 2404 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think to be pedantic, young is 0-30, middle age is 30-60, and old is 60-90.

Old does not mean unhealthy, nor does it mean bad. It simply means you've been around a long time, relatively speaking. There are people over 100 who compete in cycling races and there are 40 year olds who struggle to get up off the toilet. The racers over 100 are still old and the struggling 40 year olds are still middle aged.

I have another version of this argument with some friends who chafe at being called "Ma'am" or "Sir." It doesn't mean you are an old biddy/codger, it mean you are an adult and it's a term of respect. What's silly is people who will never see 35 again using "boy" in their online dating handle.

I would much rather be called "ma'am" than "miss" even if I look like I'm in my 40s when fully clothed and with my hair colored. (Remark made by my gentleman caller; I'm in my 60s.)

I have another version of this argument with some friends who chafe at being called "Ma'am" or "Sir." It doesn't mean you are an old biddy/codger, it mean you are an adult and it's a term of respect.

I didn't know "sir" was as bad as "ma'am". After all, there's no male equivalent of "miss."

I used to think being called "ma'am" was a sign of respect because I was called that while flying first at age 18. Then I read that being ma'amed is an insult.

What's silly is people who will never see 35 again using "boy" in their online dating handle.

Is this a gay thing? I know a guy who loved to describe himself as a boy, and I sometimes wonder.

I didn't know "sir" was as bad as "ma'am". After all, there's no male equivalent of "miss."

I used to think being called "ma'am" was a sign of respect because I was called that while flying first at age 18. Then I read that being ma'amed is an insult.

I've never heard it used where I believed it was intended as an insult. I have heard some women react to it as if it was. I can't say there is consistency in whether I find those particular women otherwise reasonable or unreasonable, so perhaps it's a regional thing.

Is this a gay thing? I know a guy who loved to describe himself as a boy, and I sometimes wonder.

It seems to be in my observation.

I know plenty of older gay men who refer to their partners as "boyfriend," though I hope it is tongue-in-cheek.

"Boyfriend" sounds fine to me. Sounds a bit warmer to my ear than "partner."

I'm talking about men well into middle age who say things like "I'm just a boy from _____" or "I'm a boy who wants to make dreams come true."

Archived