Neil Patrick Harris in his tighty whiteys

maninsoma
This topic is 3385 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

NPH's excellent personality and many notable talents aside, I found the entire annual Hollywood self-adulation ceremony last evening to border on absolute dribble --- thank God there were alternatives on other channels and I could check the winners with my iPhone without having to listen to the mindless speeches and watch the endless primping and preening of men and women who come across (when not reading scripted lines) as airheads. Sorry, but I was happy to see so many morning newspapers, radio and TV commentators came away with just as negative views (except those on the "host" station, naturally).

Every year there's one acceptance speech that has an impact on you. This year, Oscar winner Graham Moore, made a powerful and moving speech addressing teenage suicide and how it feels to be different. Well done! In addition, Julianne Moore and Eddie Redmayne addressed the medical issues of ALS and Alzheimer's. Diseases their movie characters had to deal with.

If you missed the Oscars, here's a brief clip: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vGF8bzeRwcw

I give him a C+ for his efforts.

Some of the jokes bombed bad, others were alright. The Oscar Predictions locked box skit was a complete zero. Still it was mildly entertaining.

Highlights for me were John Legend and Common's amazing performance of Glory and "Everything is Awesome" from the Lego Movie. Some of the acceptance speeches were very good this year, like Graham Moore (mentioned by Cooper), J.K. Simmons,Patricia Arquette, John Legend, Alejandro G. Iñárritu, Eddie Redmayne to name a few.

It ain't an easy job and oddly, talent (no matter how much you may have) has little to do with making a good host or bombing. (can you imagine Meryl Streep - hands doen a goddess of talent - hosting?? She'd prolly be awful lol. NPH is casually LIKEABLE, as was Ellen. As far as the lame jokes well that's true of every NETWORK awards show they're always lame. (If they televised the GLAAD awards there we'd see some edge lol) I think he did a good job because I didn't hate him :0-)

It ain't an easy job and oddly, talent (no matter how much you may have) has little to do with making a good host or bombing. (can you imagine Meryl Streep - hands doen a goddess of talent - hosting?? She'd prolly be awful lol. NPH is casually LIKEABLE, as was Ellen. As far as the lame jokes well that's true of every NETWORK awards show they're always lame. (If they televised the GLAAD awards there we'd see some edge lol) I think he did a good job because I didn't hate him :0-)

I would disagree on two points. First, lame and edgy are not really related. A joke can be wonderful but still not edgy. Last night's jokes were often lame on their own merits - it had nothing to do with them not being edgy.

Also, NPH may be a very accomplished performer, and he can be very funny, but he's not, in specialized terms, a comedian. And I think that's really the kind of host you want if the job is really going to rely on jokes from beginning to end. Better writing obviously helps too, no doubt about it. But even a perfectly-written joke can fall flat if it's not told with the right approach.

To be honest, I've always felt these awards shows would be just fine without a host at all. The voice-over announcer can introduce the presenters, we can get on with the ceremony, and it moves along. There's no real essential function for a host, aside from the fact that we like the comfort in the routine of having someone "officiate" throughout. But I think these shows would go just as well without that routine.

It started out as a big party for people in the industry, not televised, of course (television didn't exist), and the only natural audience for it is the participants in the theater. All the attempts to adapt it into a public entertainment for a TV audience have never really succeeded.

I would disagree on two points. First, lame and edgy are not really related. A joke can be wonderful but still not edgy. Last night's jokes were often lame on their own merits - it had nothing to do with them not being edgy.

Also, NPH may be a very accomplished performer, and he can be very funny, but he's not, in specialized terms, a comedian. And I think that's really the kind of host you want if the job is really going to rely on jokes from beginning to end. Better writing obviously helps too, no doubt about it. But even a perfectly-written joke can fall flat if it's not told with the right approach.

To be honest, I've always felt these awards shows would be just fine without a host at all. The voice-over announcer can introduce the presenters, we can get on with the ceremony, and it moves along. There's no real essential function for a host, aside from the fact that we like the comfort in the routine of having someone "officiate" throughout. But I think these shows would go just as well without that routine.

Never said they were "related" :-) And only used "lame" to echo the response before me. But in WRITING terms lame is equal to "soft" as in soso, bleh, and all the way to yawn. Edgy means hard, usually as in FUNNY. (btw I work in this world I have been in a punch up (joke pitching) room for The Oscars, granted back in the glory Billy Chrystal era lol) and it has EVERYTHING to do with not being edgy. And its usually INTENTIONAL; a room of FUNNY FUNNY ppl all cracking up then saying, ehh too bad we can't do that too edgy". Because when you have a network award show with demographic of 12yo's to 80yo's what you will always wind up with is the same schtick Bob Hope did for the 300 years that he hosted. And what you say re a comedian may have some truth, but NOT overall. Billy C was that rare combo that made it work. Jerry Seinfeld probably wouldn't work. And Roseanne had one of the funniest stand-ups I'd ever seen but do we really want to see HER host??? They've made some HUGE hosting errors in the past obviously, but the rule of thumb when picking the host is not too different from selling a house; Beige walls. No one's shocked no one's put off, there's a general MOR appeal and everyone at the very least can stomach it. Re no host: it's an ENTERTAINMENT show. THAT'S the appeal. It's 1/3 who wins, 1/3 who is wearing who, AND 1/3 will the host die a miserable writhing death up there. If it were JUST the awards they could "annouce" them on the news :-)

It started out as a big party for people in the industry, not televised, of course (television didn't exist), and the only natural audience for it is the participants in the theater. All the attempts to adapt it into a public entertainment for a TV audience have never really succeeded.

TV adds some interest to parts of the experience. For example, I remember attending the VMAs and noticing that the red carpet parade was a disappointment in person.TV.

And what would the Oscars be without the annual mistakes --offensive jokes, garish dresses, and so on--and the resulting schadenfreude?

I think the unfortunate "balls" joke got some attention for the winning documentary short, Crisis Hotline. I downloaded it from Amazon.

Neil Patrick Harris' Top 5 Moments

He sang, he danced, he even showed off his ripped abs. In case you missed it, here were the top five most memorable moments from Oscars host Neil Patrick Harris:

1. His opening number.

For any Oscars host the opening monologue is the most important part of the awards show, and certainly Neil Patrick Harris didn’t disappoint. Opening with a joke, NPH said, “Tonight we honor the best and whitest ... I mean brightest.” It was a clear jab at the Oscar’s lack of diversity in this year’s nominees. He then set the night’s tone with a performance of “Moving Pictures,” a song written by Robert Lopez and Kristen Anderson-Lopez, the duo behind “Frozen’s” “Let It Go.” The performance featured amazing visuals of Hollywood’s biggest blockbuster films along with appearances by Anna Kendrick and Jack Black. After the singing and dancing, Harris said the performance was “completely improvised.”

2. His controversial zinger.

After “Crisis Hotline: Veterans Press 1” won the Oscar for Best Documentary Short Subject, directors Ellen Goosenberg Kent and Dana Perry came up to accept the golden trophy, but it was Harris’ quip afterward that got a lot of laughs. Perry, who dedicated the award to her 15-year-old son who committed suicide, was wearing a black dress complete with fur balls. Not one to miss a beat, Harris said, “It takes a lot of balls to wear that dress.” While he did get laughs, many on social media thought the joke was a bit insensitive since Perry dedicated the award to her late son.

3.Harris’ love for the Brits.

During a bit where Harris claimed jokes said with an accent are generally funnier, Harris tapped “Selma” actor David Oyelowo to help him deliver some quips. After the audience applauded for Oyelowo, NPH threw in a quick dig at the Academy for Oyelowo’s Oscars snub in the Best Actor category. "Oh sure, now you like him," he said with a grin.

4. NPH’s underwear moment.

Harris’ parody of “Birdman” was spot on. When it appeared Harris was late for his cue, the cameras found him backstage with his robe caught in his dressing room door. Next you see him walking backstage in his underwear, as Oscar nominee Michael Keaton did in the film “Birdman.” In only white undies, Harris introduced the next presenters. Of course he couldn’t walk off stage without fiddling with his skivvies.

5. His jab at John Travolta.

Harris couldn’t resist taking a jab at John Travolta, who butchered the pronunciation of singer Idina Menzel’s name at last year’s Oscars. Instead, Travolta famously called her "Adele Dazeem." Harris quipped that Benedict Cumberbatch is what you get “when you ask John Travolta to pronounce Ben Affleck.”

“Moving Pictures,” a song written by Robert Lopez and Kristen Anderson-Lopez, the duo behind “Frozen’s” “Let It Go.”

Thy are the duo behind the entire score of Frozen. It would be nice if more than that one song got some damn attention - it's a really good score all around.

While NPH was okay, think Jimmy Kimmel or Jimmy Fallon would be excellent hosts. Fallon has actually done some movies, so he might be a more appropriate choice. Not sure that Kimmel has had any major movie roles, though if he has, I am sure I will find out about it soon.

I'm not a Kimmel fan, so I won't voice any opinions about him, but Fallon would be fun.

Archived