On a spree: LAX-JFK

gallahadesquire
This topic is 3480 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Hello, Ladies and Gentlemen!

I'm going to a friend's memorial service in Seattle the third week of February.

I figure, this is a good time to test the LAX-JFK first class service.

I've looked at

AA: Nasty people.

UA: Also nasty

DL: Minimal service

Jet blue: INteresting

Virgin America: Also interesting.

Any suggestions? I shall be lying flat, if possible, and then connecting in

JFK to BOS, although I might do that via train.

ALso: Suggestions LAX-SEA are also appreciated.

Thank you.

Your comments on the various airlines are very interesting, gal ... the mirror my thoughts precisely.

Last time I did an AA "first class" red-eye - I ended up almost getting nasty because the service was so lousy from start to finish.

Ditto for UA

DL the people were nicer, but still offered minimal service

JB - fly them regularly; haven't yet tried Mint. I did sit next to a very handsome young JB pilot on my last flight, and he was saying that their mint service JFK-LAX regularly sells out for some time in advance, so people seem to like it. He told me that JB is planning to launch their Mint service between BOS and SFO this spring some time.

Virgin America - haven't tried it, but hear good things. I have flown Virgin Atlantic "upper class" to the UK and it was one of the nicest (non-sexual) experiences in the air I've ever had, from check-in all the way through their "revivals" lounge in Heathrow.

I rarely (if ever) fly between Boston & NY; the Acela is much nicer/easier/lower stress all-around. Just do be aware that those trains do have delays in bad winter weather sometimes also.

Have fun, and let me know if you do try JB Mint!

I have had, quite literally, phenomenal customer service and flying experience with Virgin America, and Virgin Atlantic (better). Virgin America is a bit limited with their routes, so when VA couldn't accommodate, I have used AA, and my experience is nothing but positive recently. Just booked a run to SEA later this year, and first was very reasonably priced.

LAX-SEA is a short run, and I have only flown Alaska. It was OK, no real drawbacks or complaints.

gal...it's all a crapshoot...airline service is generally bad unless you have high frequent flyer status or buy a first class ticket. I always provide feedback to the airlines...smile at the flight staff...and compliment the the staff that treat passengers like customers. Long haul flights like lax to jfk are awful if you fly in the back...so my advice is bite the bullet and pay for the expensive seat, or lower your expectations to rock bottom and endure! Good luck.

Hello, Ladies and Gentlemen!

I'm going to a friend's memorial service in Seattle the third week of February.

I figure, this is a good time to test the LAX-JFK first class service.

I've looked at

AA: Nasty people.

UA: Also nasty

DL: Minimal service

Jet blue: INteresting

Virgin America: Also interesting.

Any suggestions? I shall be lying flat, if possible, and then connecting in

JFK to BOS, although I might do that via train.

ALso: Suggestions LAX-SEA are also appreciated.

Thank you.

I don't know about their first class, but Jet Blue and Virgin America are my two favorite carriers. In coach, in-flight service is nearly as minimal (but not quite) as on all other carriers, but the seats are a little more comfortable and the aircraft are newer. I will fly any carrier if I have to, but after one of those 5-hours-on-the-tarmac experiences at O'Hare with UAL, they are always last on my list.

The only two carriers that offer a truly first class transcon product between JFK and LAX today are American and JetBlue. Both offer lieflat seats with plenty of room. On AA, the cabin is a 1-1 configuration so there is never anyone sitting next to you. This is a major plus in my book. UA/DL only offer a business class product these days with a 2-2 configuration.....meaning there is a good chance of someone sitting in the seat adjacent to you. Virgin America offers the poorest hard product today in the premium transcon market.

As far as on-board service goes, Virgin America and JetBlue probably offer the friendliest service overall.

For me, on-board comfort trumps everything else which makes it an easy decision between American and JetBlue. The rest are also-rans.

I have had, quite literally, phenomenal customer service and flying experience with Virgin America, and Virgin Atlantic (better). Virgin America is a bit limited with their routes, so when VA couldn't accommodate, I have used AA, and my experience is nothing but positive recently. Just booked a run to SEA later this year, and first was very reasonably priced.

LAX-SEA is a short run, and I have only flown Alaska. It was OK, no real drawbacks or complaints.

If Southwest does this leg, try it; also spend $24 additional dollars for special boarding or for your receiving an A in order to board much more quickly and to stake out a "choice" seat. I always do this when flying Southwest, my favorite domestic airline because I am 6.2 and 1/2. ...have for the majority of times have had a wonderful flight with this airline!

If Southwest does this leg, try it; also spend $24 additional dollars for special boarding or for your receiving an A in order to board much more quickly and to stake out a "choice" seat. I always do this when flying Southwest, my favorite domestic airline because I am 6.2 and 1/2. ...have for the majority of times have had a wonderful flight with this airline!

thanks for mentioning that, Axiom....it may be the "early bird" check-in you're talking about and I usually do it if I won't be near a computer at check-in time (24 hours prior).....it is very much worth it to get a good seat....

all this talk of First Class and flat seats and premium service and 1-1 configuration and extra leg room has me feeling a bit inadequate, but I love Southwest!!

Why not take a direct flight between Boston and Seattle? I prefer efficient travel routes in the shortest amount of time over everything else. My exception is when I have no choice and must take 2 or 3 flights to my destination, then I prefer the longest jaunt to be my 1st flight. On another note, I hate laying flat on anything besides my own bed or a massage table, and especially on a plane.

Thanks for the heads up AX...but all the flights out of FLL/MIA on Southwest, that I have researched, and heading west, require stops, and VA are all non-stops into LAX. And... surprisingly, when I recently booked flights to SMF, Southwest was over a hundred dollars more than AA, and AA included a hotel and rental car...go figure.

all this talk of First Class and flat seats and premium service and 1-1 configuration and extra leg room has me feeling a bit inadequate, but I love Southwest!!

Sorry Az. I was just responding to the OP that asked for info about First Class service between JFK and LAX.

Your comments on the various airlines are very interesting, gal ... the mirror my thoughts precisely.

Last time I did an AA "first class" red-eye - I ended up almost getting nasty because the service was so lousy from start to finish.

Really? I had great experiences with transcontinental First on American (using miles). Excellent service.

For example, they were happy to pour tea over ice to make iced tea. I have something I like stored on dry ice, that I take out during the flight. They were happy to do it.

And those "suites" with the flat-bed seat were amazing. I could actually sleep for long periods.

Really? I had great experiences with transcontinental First on American (using miles). Excellent service.

For example, they were happy to pour tea over ice to make iced tea. I have something I like stored on dry ice, that I take out during the flight. They were happy to do it.

And those "suites" with the flat-bed seat were amazing. I could actually sleep for long periods.

Mine wasn't fully trans-con ... although almost. It was Phoenix to MIA. No lie flat, minimal, mediocre food, lousy service. Ugh.

Sorry Az. I was just responding to the OP that asked for info about First Class service between JFK and LAX.

no problem at all, EZE....was just kidding around with the whole group!......these occasional "what airline to fly" threads are fun to read for a simple guy like me!

If I, as the OP, might butt in:

I'm getting to Seattle via a direct, or at most, one stop flight. It's not up there with the easiest city-to-city connections,

but it's nowhere as bad as BOS - TUS.

Coming back is just inconvenient. I may go to SFO and see my sister and her lover / wife [don't know if they hitched yet].

I WANT TO LIE DOWN GOING ACROSS COUNTRY. Much more necessary for me eastbound than westbound.

Not necessarily for sleep.

Thanks for the inputs. Please keep them coming! MOstly about SFO or LAX service to JFK or BOS.

P.S. I Prefer wide-body jets or 1-1 seating.

If I, as the OP, might butt in:

I'm getting to Seattle via a direct, or at most, one stop flight. It's not up there with the easiest city-to-city connections,

but it's nowhere as bad as BOS - TUS.

Coming back is just inconvenient. I may go to SFO and see my sister and her lover / wife [don't know if they hitched yet].

I WANT TO LIE DOWN GOING ACROSS COUNTRY. Much more necessary for me eastbound than westbound.

Not necessarily for sleep.

Thanks for the inputs. Please keep them coming! MOstly about SFO or LAX service to JFK or BOS.

P.S. I Prefer wide-body jets or 1-1 seating.

Hey Gallahad, just saw this article on Jet Blue/Huff Post. I have only flown Jet Blue a couple of times, from FLL to LGA and BOS, short runs only, but this article highlights the "Jet Blue Mint" cross country service with fully reclining seats. Scroll down the article, and click on "JetBlue Mint" to see the "JetBlue Mint" amenities.

Interesting article....BTW, remembering now. Jet Blue was most pleasant. Might work for you.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/peter-a-georgescu/come-back-jetblue_b_6477938.html?ncid=txtlnkusaolp00000592

Gallahad,

Based on what is important to you (lie flat, 1-1 seating), AA is the only real choice between JFK and LAX. The Mint cabin on JetBlue has mixed seat configurations that are partly a 1-1 configuration , and partly 2-2. I'm not really sure I understand that concept.

Next week I will be doing a roundtrip on what is arguably the best first class air experience on a commercial transcon in the US today: The once daily AA 777 widebody service between MIA and LAX. It's a proper internationally configured aircraft with First, Bus, and economy on a 777 widebody. The F cabin is a 1-2-1 configuration with all the window seats being single seats. The F seats on this flight are the roomiest of any domestic flight within the US today.

The only two carriers that offer a truly first class transcon product between JFK and LAX today are American and JetBlue. Both offer lieflat seats with plenty of room. On AA, the cabin is a 1-1 configuration so there is never anyone sitting next to you.

You're right. I've never enjoyed either product. From what I looked up, it seems that there are two rows on JetBlue where you are seated alone with no neighbor (rows 2 & 4). On AA, you never have someone next to you.

JetBlue:

http://queens.ny1.com/content/lifestyles/travel/210266/jetblue-introduces-premium-service-in-new--mint--class/

http://onemileatatime.boardingarea.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/JetBlue_Mint_Seatmap.png

http://fm.cnbc.com/applications/cnbc.com/resources/img/editorial/2014/06/10/101746616-JetBlue_Mint_overview.530x298.jpg?v=1402405495

American:

http://www.aa.com/i18n/amrcorp/newsroom/fp_aa_narrowbody_announcement.jsp

http://www.aa.com/content/images/aboutUs/newsroom/img_A321Transcon-First-Class-Front.jpg

http://www.gannett-cdn.com/-mm-/6dd3eda1d6de9386ba54796e3e88bcca05b15f52/c=0-0-704-530&r=x404&c=534x401/local/-/media/USATODAY/todayinthesky/2013/12/23//1387823580000--aa2.jpg

Archived