Annoying word for 2013

wisconsinguy
This topic is 3774 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I can't think of a word that really annoys me. In a similar way as Richard, I choose to celebrate diversity.[/color]

Great point! Diversity is a word that has been overused and misused well beyond the point of annoyance. Cities and companies are creating diversity celebrations and groups that are little more than cliques. Much of what is done in the name of diversity is self-congratulatory and divisive. Banding together to embrace uniqueness, if done thoughtlessly or with self-importance, is not inclusive and does not represent the intent of celebrating diversity.

...and yes, I know that wasn't your point. :)

I've been getting annoyed with the overuse of "actually" when it actually doesn't need to be in the sentence at all. Such as "the restaurant is actually on the corner of 5th & Main." It's actually on the corner? Not just on the corner?

But I'm willing to adopt this as just a pet peeve. Or should I say I'm actually willing to adopt it?

Ooops...guilty as charged. "Actually" you are right. (sorry I couldn't resist) ;)

I prefer to celebrate the divirsity of the english language and cheer on all these new idiomatic expressions of a vibrant living language....hurray to all these annoying words....makes us all more alive. Foolow that with the understanding that since classical Greek times intellectuals have been bemoaning the death of civilization as we know it...

+1...I was beginning to think what a tough room this was. So thanks for your post Rich, "actually" I'm with you. ;)

I think that Obamacare adds to the richness of our political vocabulary, just as Reaganomics did. Someone wrote in recently, claiming that all the horrible usages here "celebrate the diversity of the English language." Well, NO, THEY DO NOT. But I consider Obamacare to be an exception.

Pet peeves: "At this point in time." When I hear that, I ask the speaker, "Do you mean NOW?"

Also, "closure" used to describe a road that has been temporarily closed. Say CLOSED, Goddammit! Closure refers to the psychological or emotional process of coping with a difficult or tragic event, such as a death in one's family.

I am fed up with the term Obamacare. This was coined to try and put a negative spin on the programs. Like it or hate it, call it by its correct name which is.....

The Affordable Care Act

My pet peeve is "utilize".

I've NEVER seen a situation where "utilize" was better than "use".

I made use of the word "utilize" once in a final paper in university. The professor became overwrought and the usage cost me 3 percentage points. It was an English class. I learned my lesson.

Lohengrin

Someone wrote in recently, claiming that all the horrible usages here "celebrate the diversity of the English language."

You're twisting the idea, sweetheart. Nobody claimed that.

This thread is about annoying words: e.g. viral, troof, twerk ...

One can honor the diversity and treasures of the English language. For "all the horrible usages" blame the people, not the language.

My pet peeve is "utilize".

I've NEVER seen a situation where "utilize" was better than "use".

It's got a very specific definition, something like 'to put something to use to its full or most profitable effect", often in the sense of using a thing for something other than its intended use. The sign "Please utilize these hooks for your coats" is not proper use :)

...Also, "closure" used to describe a road that has been temporarily closed. Say CLOSED, Goddammit! Closure refers to the psychological or emotional process of coping with a difficult or tragic event, such as a death in one's family.

The usage that bothers you is correct and the usage that you feel is correct is technically incorrect, as "closure" is not a process but rather an end state. Here's why:

According to the Merrian-Webster dictionary, the primary non-archaic definition of the word "closure" is "an act of closing : the condition of being closed <closure of the eyelids> <business closures>."

The closest definition to your understanding of the word is non-archaic definition number 6, which is "an often comforting or satisfying sense of finality <victims needing closure>; also : something (as a satisfying ending) that provides such a sense."

Again, "closure" is the end, not the means to the end.

I made use of the word "utilize" once in a final paper in university. The professor became overwrought and the usage cost me 3 percentage points. It was an English class. I learned my lesson.

I'm wondering if any of the (known or not-so-known) teachers of writing would be willing weigh in and say,

if one is trying avoid repetition of a single word, whether "employ" would be an acceptable substitue for "use" in lieu of "utilize"?

< irrelvancy >

According to the Merrian-Webster dictionary, the primary non-archaic definition of the word "closure" is "an act of closing : the condition of being closed <closure of the eyelids> <business closures>."

For those of us in the computer business, "Closure" is a programming language construct which is a bit of code that can be executed later with variables pre-bound to a set of values.

Happy new year < / irrelevancy >

I'm wondering if any of the (known or not-so-known) teachers of writing would be willing weigh in and say,

if one is trying avoid repetition of a single word, whether "employ" would be an acceptable substitue for "use" in lieu of "utilize"?

Most academics have their language quirks--some would say "employ" is a perfectly adequate synonym for "use," others would think it pretentious. I think penalizing a student for using "utilize" is just arbitrary use of power. I had an English teacher who insisted that there was no such word as "gotten," the correct form of the participle was always "got;" when I took that rule with me to college, my linguistics professor laughed.

Archived