Pet Peeve At Restaurants That Serve Breakfast

Gar1eth
This topic is 4002 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply
lol...I've been stuck on hell's kitchen lately:

http://i.qkme.me/3pgla8.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/syHzD.png

Well Gordon certainly makes a statement- and by extension you too Joey :)!! But he neglects to say what to do with the egg mixture once it's in the pan on the way to being cooked or what to do with the chives. And that's not even mentioning that I think he's being a bit of a hypocrite here. I mean G-d forbid what would happen if he were the one served rubbery scrambled eggs.

Gman

If you like to stand in line with a whole bunch of other people for 60 to 90 minutes on the weekend for what is admittedly a good breakfast, try Flying Biscuit or West Egg.

Ain't worth it to me. I'd go to Waffle House or just wait 'til lunch. But those places above are good.

Years ago I tried to go to a Waffle House. I made the mistake of going to the bathroom before being seated. I'm not sure what I saw because I seemed to have wiped it from my memory. But I left the Waffle House without eating there. Now every time I've considered going to a Waffle House, I go in, I see some thing dirty like an uncleared away plate from a previous diner, and I walk out.

Gman

What's the rave with Waffle House? We don't have many of those out West. But down South I know. The food at waffle house is okay (Dennys is better), but that environment is a bit too hostile. I don't like hearing about how much the employees hate their job and all the squabbles and how long they've been at work that day

One lady in North Carolina was a manager and sat next to me and asked while tallying up receipts (jokingly of course) "you're not going to bit me are you?" I came real close to filing a lawsu....complaint, especially since they have a large Black and White sign touting: "NO SEXUAL HARASSMENT WILL BE TOLERATED BY EMPLOYEES TO CUSTOMERS". but if it meant a free meal at waffle house, I'll pass. I think they purposely hire certain personalities. Just like McDonald's hires super sweet nice people.

lol...I went to the "Waffle House" once with my Grandmother, when I think I was somewhere around 9 years old. Never never been back....God help us.

Years ago I tried to go to a Waffle House. I made the mistake of going to the bathroom before being seated. I'm not sure what I saw because I seemed to have wiped it from my memory. But I left the Waffle House without eating there. Now every time I've considered going to a Waffle House, I go in, I see some thing dirty like an uncleared away plate from a previous diner, and I walk out.

Gman

Another point for eating yogurt at home!

OK, since The Waffle House is part of the conversation I must inject another major breakfast themed pet peeve of mine...when did 'Belgian' waffles take over? These are the fat, air-fluffed, gummy confections with the big squares and no taste. These days, the only place I can find a 'normal', classic, FLAT, DENSE waffle with small squares (outside of the toaster version) is at The Waffle House. I've only ever seen those establishments on major cross-country throughways. And based on the conversation here I guess I'm glad my access to them is very limited. But damn I wish I could find good old fashioned waffles the way God intended - not the ubiquitous 'Belgian' crap.

Scrambled eggs are beneath the dignity of a chef in a fine restaurant; "cooks" scramble eggs. South of the Mason Dixon line, bacon drippings are, by custom, added as a seasoning. An old cousin of mine had a cook who was celebrated on the Gulf Coast for her fare; the secret to her cakes was rancid butter, and, more or less every dish served from her kitchen was laced with spirits. To ensure "fluffy" scrambled eggs, she beat a little milk into the egg batter before it went into the skillet in which the breakfast bacon had been friend up well done. Of course, hardening of the arteries is rampant in the population, but we die well fed with smiles on our faces.

Scrambled eggs are beneath the dignity of a chef in a fine restaurant; "cooks" scramble eggs. South of the Mason Dixon line, bacon drippings are, by custom, added as a seasoning. An old cousin of mine had a cook who was celebrated on the Gulf Coast for her fare; the secret to her cakes was rancid butter, and, more or less every dish served from her kitchen was laced with spirits. To ensure "fluffy" scrambled eggs, she beat a little milk into the egg batter before it went into the skillet in which the breakfast bacon had been friend up well done. Of course, hardening of the arteries is rampant in the population, but we die well fed with smiles on our faces.

Well that brought back an old memory. Growing up, my mother used to save the bacon drippings in a can on the sink, and as you say, used it for seasoning in numerous dishes.

Well that brought back an old memory. Growing up, my mother used to save the bacon drippings in a can on the sink, and as you say, used it for seasoning in numerous dishes.

Really, my mother saved it so it wouldn't clog up the sink.

Gman

Lots of things from our past use things we wouldn't consider using today. My grandmother's Christmas cookie recipe starts with sour milk. On a farm, you find a way to use everything. Discard nothing. Particularly in post-Depression households. Hog's head cheese wasn't someone's idea of a fun time -- it was a way to use up the rest of the pig.

One of my favorite Depression-era cake recipes uses mayonnaise instead of eggs/oil. (Mayonnaise is, of course, an emulsion of eggs in oil.) Housewives couldn't get eggs during the Depression but they could get mayonnaise so they got creative.

But back to breakfast. A year or so ago I stayed in a cheap motel, one of those with "free breakfast". They had scrambled eggs & sausage on a steam table. But they also offered do-it-yourself waffles. The waffle irons were available for anyone to use, and the batter was supplied in aerosol cans (much like ReddiWhip). I didn't try it, but those who did seemed to enjoy them.

Really, my mother saved it so it wouldn't clog up the sink.

Gman

lol lol...OK that was funny Gman! I think it was a depression thing. Many of our parents grew up under very trying times, and as Deej mentions, nothing was thrown away....that being said, bacon drippings when used to grease the pan for pancakes, fried potatoes, fried onions, green beans and so many other dishes, can be amazing . Thank God I did not pick up that habit, for if I had, surely my pipes would have clogged a long time ago...

Likewise in my home, when I was growing up. And I save it too, just to add a little to the scrambled eggs (roughly 1 part bacon grease to 2 parts butter).

lol lol...OK that was funny Gman! I think it was a depression thing. Many of our parents grew up under very trying times, and as Deej mentions, nothing was thrown away....that being said, bacon drippings when used to grease the pan for pancakes, fried potatoes, fried onions, green beans and so many other dishes, can be amazing . Thank God I did not pick up that habit, for if I had, surely my pipes would have clogged a long time ago...

Many a rustic Italian dish starts by browning pancetta (the Italian form of bacon) and leaving some of the rendered fat in the pan for flavor.

Most any meal will be a winner when it starts with bacon & onion in the skillet. :)

Lots of things from our past use things we wouldn't consider using today. My grandmother's Christmas cookie recipe starts with sour milk. On a farm, you find a way to use everything. Discard nothing. Particularly in post-Depression households. Hog's head cheese wasn't someone's idea of a fun time -- it was a way to use up the rest of the pig.

One of my favorite Depression-era cake recipes uses mayonnaise instead of eggs/oil. (Mayonnaise is, of course, an emulsion of eggs in oil.) Housewives couldn't get eggs during the Depression but they could get mayonnaise so they got creative.

But back to breakfast. A year or so ago I stayed in a cheap motel, one of those with "free breakfast". They had scrambled eggs & sausage on a steam table. But they also offered do-it-yourself waffles. The waffle irons were available for anyone to use, and the batter was supplied in aerosol cans (much like ReddiWhip). I didn't try it, but those who did seemed to enjoy them.

One of the recipes I remember seeing as a child was I think a holdover from either The Depression or World War II when apples were either too expensive or scarce. It was a Mock Apple Pie Recipe which ran for years on the Ritz Crackers Box. I remember one of the ingredients was lemon juice to simulate the tartness of apples. I was always interested in tasting it, but my mother never made it. For some reason she never made Rice Krispy Treats either. The 1st time I had that delicacy was in college- they were delicious.

Gman

Anyone else here a fan of biscuits?

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ_pZ5QlWCQNZojSPvsxZhs0gBQFo7Wg0OG1uQDu4VDv2R54CA0

Love Biscuits. My grandmother used to make them from scratch. And then at some point she changed to Bisquick- still delicious.

But I have to disagree on the bacon- extremely crisp bacon even if not burned always tastes a bit too done for me. If the bacon is so done it's brittle ( or almost)- I'll eat it. But I prefer it softer ( sounds better than 'limper').

Gman

Not unless they are smothered in gravy....oh yeah, that's another one of those Southern things....Aaahhh biscuits and gravy. It's really a wonder I am still alive.

No gravy here please- just butter- and maybe honey or jelly. On second thought I just misspoke. Gravy is fine on biscuits for lunch or dinner (= supper), but not for breakfast.

Gman

Ah, biscuits. A true guilty pleasure.

A local hole in the wall makes them in the traditional southern way and serves them with sausage gravy and poached eggs. Heaven!

At home I'll eat them with a little butter and my homemade jam. (A batch of cherry jam this week, apricot butter last week.)

Ah, biscuits. A true guilty pleasure.

A local hole in the wall makes them in the traditional southern way and serves them with sausage gravy and poached eggs. Heaven!

At home I'll eat them with a little butter and my homemade jam. (A batch of cherry jam this week, apricot butter last week.)

Last year on a road trip, I stopped at a little hole in the wall of a restaurant in Flagstaff. The waitress offered me biscuits....BUT how to have them, smothered in gravy or smothered with butter and jam.....decisions decisions. I went for the butter and jam.

Archived