Pet Peeve At Restaurants That Serve Breakfast

Gar1eth
This topic is 4003 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Adam, I looked at the menu of the restaurant you mentioned. Eggs aren't listed at all, which is too bad, because I"d love to try it.

Be not disheartened. The eggs are on their Sat/Sun brunch menu, which has never been posted to the web site for whatever reason. If worth the trouble, just call to be sure they still offer it. (And ask if their good chef will be in that day.)

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply
OK, since The Waffle House is part of the conversation I must inject another major breakfast themed pet peeve of mine...when did 'Belgian' waffles take over? These are the fat, air-fluffed, gummy confections with the big squares and no taste. These days, the only place I can find a 'normal', classic, FLAT, DENSE waffle with small squares (outside of the toaster version) is at The Waffle House. I've only ever seen those establishments on major cross-country throughways. And based on the conversation here I guess I'm glad my access to them is very limited. But damn I wish I could find good old fashioned waffles the way God intended - not the ubiquitous 'Belgian' crap.

And a tangent pet peeve - where have square frozen waffles gone? They're all circular now. It's not right.

Have you always been the "Count de Crisco" or did that only occur with this discussion of breakfast food?

Before, thank goodness. From this thread I might have come out Lord of Lard.

http://barefootfts.com/assets/images/userPics/tinymce/lard.jpg

Before, thank goodness. From this thread I might have come out Lord of Lard.

http://barefootfts.com/assets/images/userPics/tinymce/lard.jpg

I was on a biscuit-making kick some years ago, and I found that lard & White Lily flour made the best biscuits (by my standards). Surprisingly, the only place I found lard in the local Krogers was on the 'Hispanic' aisle, and the label was in Spanish!

I was on a biscuit-making kick some years ago, and I found that lard & White Lily flour made the best biscuits (by my standards).

Bakers have been lamenting the health kick that's caused changes in the food supply in recent years. Crisco just isn't the same since they took out the trans-fats, for example. Some things just don't come out the same.

And any southern girl knows you need White Lily flour for biscuits! :p In some households it's actually called biscuit flour.

Deej you make an excellent point. During the holidays I bake dozens and dozens of cookies. Starting about five years ago I began having major problems with Crisco. The cookies tended to be flat and very thin. I now use lard or butter depending on the recipe.

When I was a boy, I would often spend Friday nights at my grandparents' place. On Saturday morning, my grandmother would make me "The Special Breakfast."

She'd take a big plate and spread out grits all over it. Then she'd layer fresh sliced tomatoes on top of that. Then cut-up pieces of dry toast. Then bacon. Then this stuff we called "Butt's Meat" that I never see sold anymore and never saw sold outside the Carolinas. It was basically fried pig fat. it was salty and something of a beefy jerky consistency, but less stringy and more cardboardy.

And then she'd add two sunny-side up eggs. Then I'd take a fork and mash the layers -- the mashing technique was important. You needed to leave chunks of everything, but break it down and mix it up enough into small enough pieces that every bite had every ingredient. And it was important to moisten the entire dish with the runny yolks without making it soupy soggy.

I can't tell you how good those sliced tomatoes and Butt's Meat made the rest of it.

I should never have read this thread. It's almost 1 in the morning and, instead of my bed, I want biscuits with butter and honey. My housemates may think I'm high if I start baking at this hour. Sigh....

Lohengrin

You know how to make biscuits? *Kitten pads over to Lohengrin's place.*

You know how to make biscuits? *Kitten pads over to Lohengrin's place.*

I do indeed, Fresh. :D Baking and cooking in general are my stress release from my work. Nothing like preparing a good, and nowadays disgustingly healthy and organic, meal to help you forget demanding conductors, insane stage directors, and the "eccentricities" of my colleagues.

Incidentally I ended up making the biscuits. My housemates didn't care, as they got to share. ;)

Lohengrin

Archived