My favorite Places to travel!

Atlantagaguy
This topic is 4395 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

My favorites are cities I have either lived in or visited many times: New York, San Francisco, Philadelphia, Boston, London, Melbourne, Berlin, Paris, Amsterdam, Vienna. In addition, I love Cape Cod, the northern California and Oregon coasts, the High Sierras, Sicily, the Alps, the French Riviera, Western Australia, India...well, I could probably name more places I like than places I dislike intensely. And I love the southwestern US, even when it is as hot as it was today driving from Phoenix to Palm Springs.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We usually try to go to one of the other places I mentioned for at least a short getaway in the summer, but mostly we just adjust to the heat (i.e., we get up at 5am and do most of our strenuous activity before 9am or after sunset).

Very little to add except that I'm big into theater and music festivals so add Verona for the opera, Statford (England and Canada) for the theater festivals, Charleston for, I believe it's called "Spoletto", Boston for Tanglewood and the Capri/Naples/Pompeii area for history and sheer beauty (can you really beat the Blue Grotto??). Oh, don't forget Glybourne in England--beautiful site and any place in Austria (like Mozart in Salzburg--what a gem of a small city).

In no particular order:

Paris, Monaco, Milano, Firenze, Roma, the Amalfi Coast, especially Positano; Vienna, Budapest, Munich, Brussels, Amsterdam, London, Dublin and Kerry, Edinburgh, Cardiff and surrounding areas, Prague, New York City, Miami Beach and Fort Lauderdale, Toronto, Montreal would be the places where I enjoy myself the most.

My favourites in no particular order:

Madrid

San Diego

Montreal

London

Sao Paulo

Buenos Aires

Brussels

Miami

Montevideo

Peru

New Orleans

Lake Louise

To do list:

Lisbon

Hong kong

Saint Petersburg, Russia

Budapest

Athens

Greek Isles

Rome

Egypt

Jordan

Israel

My favorite places to travel are listed below.

* Bangkok

* Barcelona

* Berlin

* Buenos Aires

* London

• Los Angeles

• New York City

• Paris

• Prague

• Rio de janeiro

• San Francisco [1.5 hours away from me]

• Sydney

As SF Westcoaster mentioned in his post, he loves anywhere in Italy. For me it is similar, but I'd love to return to Tuscany and the Amalfi Coast!

I'd also like to return to Vancouver [on the West Coast] and venture to Montreal and Toronto [East Coast] for the first time.

So many places...

There are other places that I should have mentioned and did NOT, but one that I must include is Cape Town, South Africa, a very interesting and wonderful

place to visit which I did in 2001.

My favourites in no particular order:

Madrid

San Diego

Montreal

London

Sao Paulo

Buenos Aires

Brussels

Miami

Montevideo

Peru

New Orleans

Lake Louise

To do list:

Lisbon

Hong kong

Saint Petersburg, Russia

Budapest

Athens

Greek Isles

Rome

Egypt

Jordan

Israel

You must get to Rome. Even if you can only swing 4 nights (minimum) go just there. I could fly to Rome once a month and enjoy simply hanging in the cafes and taking in the environment. It's almost better after you've completed the "must do" tourist stuff, and you can simply relax. If you can get to Italy longer, even a week, you could split your time between Rome and Florence (taking day trips from here) and have a wonderful trip. Florence is a great city, rich in art, history and culture. The day trips from there to Siena and other towns in Tuscany are extremely rewarding and close together.

Here are some of my favorite places to visit that I've seen numerous times but still enjoy:

* New York City

* Montreal

* Austin / San Antonio / Hill Country

* Charleston, S.C. / Lowcountry

* Key West / Keys

* North-central Florida (for the clear-water springs)

Here are some places I've visited only once or twice but would love to see again:

* Lisbon / Portugal

* San Francisco / Bay Area

* New Mexico

* Ireland

* New Orleans

* Palm Springs area

Here are some places I've never visited but want to see:

* Nashville-Memphis

* Boston / New England (I've been to Vermont, but that's it)

* Grand Canyon

* Canadian Maritimes

* Amsterdam / Holland

* Istanbul / Turkey

Rome is awesome. The sites, ruins, restaurants and the people. May or September are the best months. The only drawback is the hotel quality (stayed at the Albergo Cesari, terrible rooms but an unbeatable location) and the cost of everything. Even the 5 star hotels were lacking.

AG: I respectfully disagree with two points that you made about Rome. First, I believe (with most Romans) that October is the best month there. They even have a name for it “ottobrata romana;” The great Roman composer Ottorino Respighi celebrated “ottobrata romana” in the third movement of his Feste Romane. As one commentator wrote: “But in autumn, specially in October, something strange happens. Something magic. The romans call it “ottobrata romana”, roman october. After the rain of September, some gentle God sends incredible sunny days. The temperature is low, but there is a sunny weather, a deep azure sky. The sky is so azure and clear that you can see for miles and miles.”

As for Roman hotels, they are a mixed bag. I may not keep the standards that you do, but I have stayed in Rome from the Hotel de la Ville to a guest house near termini for 25 € a night. The latter was clean and took care of me for a single night when I needed to be near the train for an early departure the next morning. The room was the smallest that I have ever had and I measured it (5 feet x 8 feet- above its private bath – also 5 feet x 8 feet). I have stayed in nearly everything in between, and find that I prefer renting an apartment in a neighborhood, or staying in a smaller local hotel.

I recommended the Albergo Cesari (in another thread) because I had a very good experience there last year (ottobre). I am sorry that you found it to have “terrible rooms.” Mine was small, but very nice and serviceable, located on the back side of the hotel so there was little street noise. The staff was friendly and accommodating, the breakfast on the gorgeous roof terrace was very nice. So I will continue to recommend it, and it has, as you say “an unbeatable location.”

AG: I respectfully disagree with two points that you made about Rome. First, I believe (with most Romans) that October is the best month there. They even have a name for it “ottobrata romana;” The great Roman composer Ottorino Respighi celebrated “ottobrata romana” in the third movement of his Feste Romane. As one commentator wrote: “But in autumn, specially in October, something strange happens. Something magic. The romans call it “ottobrata romana”, roman october. After the rain of September, some gentle God sends incredible sunny days. The temperature is low, but there is a sunny weather, a deep azure sky. The sky is so azure and clear that you can see for miles and miles.”

As for Roman hotels, they are a mixed bag. I may not keep the standards that you do, but I have stayed in Rome from the Hotel de la Ville to a guest house near termini for 25 € a night. The latter was clean and took care of me for a single night when I needed to be near the train for an early departure the next morning. The room was the smallest that I have ever had and I measured it (5 feet x 8 feet- above its private bath – also 5 feet x 8 feet). I have stayed in nearly everything in between, and find that I prefer renting an apartment in a neighborhood, or staying in a smaller local hotel.

I recommended the Albergo Cesari (in another thread) because I had a very good experience there last year (ottobre). I am sorry that you found it to have “terrible rooms.” Mine was small, but very nice and serviceable, located on the back side of the hotel so there was little street noise. The staff was friendly and accommodating, the breakfast on the gorgeous roof terrace was very nice. So I will continue to recommend it, and it has, as you say “an unbeatable location.”

I guess that I should try October. I've only been in May and June thus far. As far as the hotel:

1. The hotel transportation never picked us up at the airport. We confirmed via email twice, and it was a no show. We attempted calling the hotel, and their phones were out of service (which lasted for 2 days for the entire hotel, and the entire trip for 1 of our 2 "superior" rooms) so, after looking for the driver for an hour, we cabbed it.

2. Arrived at the hotel where there was no apology for the hotel arranged transportation fiasco. We were told how busy they were, etc.

3. We waited 4 hours on the roof to check in. You would think they might clean our rooms first in that we were the only guests waiting to check in? Not true. We were told one hour ... 4 times. Eventually check in at 2:30, which is 1.5 hours after check in.

4. Rooms: dark, small, no working phone, no clock in either room, step up to bathroom with a ridiculously small shower "stall." NO CLOCK, no wake up call due to no working phone.

5. Internet out for our entire stay, and yes, nobody (except the guests) cared.

6. The hotel arranged transportation took us to the airport. Lovely looking ride, however, it was not working and could only travel 20 MILES PER HOUR the entire ride to the airport. Van stalled twice. Very pleasant being beeped at and given the finger for 1.5 HOURS to the airport. Discount offered .... NO.

The only good thing about this hotel is the location. I have traveled throughout Europe, and this is one of the worst choices I have made for accommodations.

Rome is awesome. The sites, ruins, restaurants and the people. May or September are the best months. The only drawback is the hotel quality (stayed at the Albergo Cesari, terrible rooms but an unbeatable location) and the cost of everything. Even the 5 star hotels were lacking.

Have you stayed at the Eden? I stayed there a few years ago and thought it was top notch--and as you might guess from my avatar, I'm pretty picky about hotels. I'm read on TA that there's no AC though. I probably didn't notice since I visited in late April.

I loved Rome also. I decided to take tours at every museum and church I visited in Italy (in Florence and Venice as well) so that I could really learn something on the trip, or at least develop a taste for pietas.

But some of my best memories are from Venice, even though I was there by myself. The midnight gondola rides ran about $120 at that time, but the gondoliers took me for free. (One got a little mad that nothing was given in return, but most understood since I told them upfront that I "had a boyfriend.") I'll never forget the sound of the oars in the water in some back alley canal in the middle of the night.

Have you stayed at the Eden? I stayed there a few years ago and thought it was top notch--and as you might guess from my avatar, I'm pretty picky about hotels. I'm read on TA that there's no AC though. I probably didn't notice since I visited in late April.

The Hotel Eden lists AC, and I'm sure that they have it. I always try to stay in the Trevi Fountain, Spanish Steps area because I love it.

If you do go to Barcelona, take a train for the day to Sitges. Old fishing village now beach town, Gay friendly and charming.

A friend of mine stopped by for a beer tonight and seconded Sitges. He thought that, although I am not a beach person (look at the whiteness of my avatar) I would love the town.

I guess that I should try October. I've only been in May and June thus far. As far as the hotel:

1. The hotel transportation never picked us up at the airport. We confirmed via email twice, and it was a no show. We attempted calling the hotel, and their phones were out of service (which lasted for 2 days for the entire hotel, and the entire trip for 1 of our 2 "superior" rooms) so, after looking for the driver for an hour, we cabbed it.

2. Arrived at the hotel where there was no apology for the hotel arranged transportation fiasco. We were told how busy they were, etc.

3. We waited 4 hours on the roof to check in. You would think they might clean our rooms first in that we were the only guests waiting to check in? Not true. We were told one hour ... 4 times. Eventually check in at 2:30, which is 1.5 hours after check in.

4. Rooms: dark, small, no working phone, no clock in either room, step up to bathroom with a ridiculously small shower "stall." NO CLOCK, no wake up call due to no working phone.

5. Internet out for our entire stay, and yes, nobody (except the guests) cared.

6. The hotel arranged transportation took us to the airport. Lovely looking ride, however, it was not working and could only travel 20 MILES PER HOUR the entire ride to the airport. Van stalled twice. Very pleasant being beeped at and given the finger for 1.5 HOURS to the airport. Discount offered .... NO.

The only good thing about this hotel is the location. I have traveled throughout Europe, and this is one of the worst choices I have made for accommodations.

I apologize for all of the above. I did not use the hotel transport. I had my Roman boy to drop me off in his car at the hotel and deliver me to the airport. The phone worked for me as necessary and my roman boy can and went with his motorcycle in between. I wil still recommend the albergo Cesari. Great Staff, Great Location, Good rooms!!!

I have the opportunity to travel to Barcelona in August. I have been to Spain before, but not Barcelona. I know that August is one of the worst months to visit; Is it worth it or should I wait for another chance?

It's certainly a matter of opinion that August is one of the worst months to visit Barcelona. It can certainly get quite hot. That may not be so bad if you're going to enjoy beach time, especially in Sitges. August is certainly a popular time for tourists. As one who eschews the heat, I would certainly prefer May, June, or September. But I would imagine that winter would be quite dreary--not a time where you can sit in a cafe on La Rambla and people-watch as you share a jarra of sangria with a friend.

As to the question of my favorite cities, few things can compare to the beauty of Venice, Rio de Janeiro, or Istanbul. Prague also has stunning architecture, but nothing can beat the settings of those three cities. Berlin, Ft. Lauderdale, and Montreal can be fun, but they're just not in the same class as Venice, Rio, or Istanbul.

My favorite places I have visited:

- Banff Springs, Canada

- Aspen, CO

- Santa Barbara, CA

- Woodstock, VT

- Paris

- Burchtesgaden, Germany

- Florence, Italy

- Prince Edward Island, Canada

- Mirepoix, France

- Jackson Hole, WY

- Martha's Vineyard

Places I plan/ want to go this next year:

- Yosemite

- Barcelona, Spain

- Ireland

- New Zealand

- Egypt

Won't make all of them, but my hope to cross a couple or three off the list.

-

My favorite places I have visited:

- Banff Springs, Canada

- Aspen, CO

- Santa Barbara, CA

- Woodstock, VT

- Paris

- Burchtesgaden, Germany

- Florence, Italy

- Prince Edward Island, Canada

- Mirepoix, France

- Jackson Hole, WY

- Martha's Vineyard

Places I plan/ want to go this next year:

- Yosemite

- Barcelona, Spain

- Ireland

- New Zealand

- Egypt

Won't make all of them, but my hope to cross a couple or three off the list.

-

I have been to Ireland a number of times and love it. Now is a great time for prices!

Enjoying sites close to home has been my preference the past several years. With air travel becoming more of a pain than a pleasure to me, I try to only fly long-distances when it is a "must" for work. In recent years, I've kept my personal travel as simple as possible: making long week-end trips to New Orleans or Pensacola, FL or taking leisurely driving trips to The Great Smoky Mountains in Eastern Tennessee and Asheville, NC.

Archived