A day to celebrate.

leigh.bess.toad
This topic is 4637 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

As of midnight this morning, DADT is now officially dead. One more step on the path to full equality, DADT is dead. Now to kill DOMA. But today is really good day.

Now I am indeed elated! Just hope that all of my "gay brothers and sisters" who were discharged for being gay and lesbian will be reinstated to the ranks that they previously had!

Well, it's a step in the right direction. But as they said on CNN tonight, gay members of the armed services still can't share their military benefits such as health care and pensions with their loved ones. Because of DOMA. So they are still second-class citizens who are asked to put their lives on the line for their country. But who's country would turn its back on their families should they make the ultimate sacrifice or even if they don't and simply serve their country like their straight comrades. Still a long way to go, America.

Indeed, there's more to do. But it's a big step in the right direction, and it would be wise not to throw out the baby with the bathwater.

Yeah, DOMA is next. It is already losing court challenges, and there are already moves in Congress to repeal it. That will happen in time.

Today is the day to celebrate THIS day.

It is UTTERLY SHAMEFUL that it took this long...

On the other hand, I didn't expect to see this day in my lifetime.

Don't get me wrong! I'm no DADT proponent. But it really was FAR superior to the policy that came before it: that homosexuality was ILLEGAL and cause for a dishonorable discharge, which becomes a permanent part of your record and is almost worse than a felony conviction.

People discharged under DADT were at least given administrative discharges, which carries no criminal record. It WAS an improvement.

DADT was a shameful blight on the nation and cost the military mightily in highly trained and much needed personnel. But it was much better than discharging them with the equivalent of a criminal record.

Ding, dong, the witch is dead!

Archived