Chicago W Hotels

Steven_Draker
This topic is 4691 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I've been extremely loyal to the Marriott hotel chain everywhere I travel for over 8 years.

I think it's time to diversify and explore other options and I've been considering the Starwood SPG program. I love W hotels, some Westins and the new Aloft hotels.

In my choice of Starwood properties I'm a 'newbie'. Currently I'm debating between the W Chicago City Center (on West Adams street in the Loop) and the W Lake Shore (on Lake Shore Drive). I've never stayed at any of these two hotels. What are the pros and cons? Any comments and suggestions are welcome.

Hi Steven. I am a frequent guest at SPG properties. I feel the SPG frequent guest programme is better than Marriott Rewards or Hilton Honors in terms of the value of the points.

I recently had a pleasant stay at the W Montreal...and I am staying at the W Westwood in LA this weekend. W hotels are nice and stylish. Service can be mediocre at some properties however. Depending on the city, the bar in the W can be quite busy and active (not in a gay sense). The bar at the W Montreal seemed to be an "in spot" currently with a waiting line outside, velvet rope, and lots of security. I am not really into that scene so I did not venture in...but there did seem to be plenty of beautiful people waiting to get in.

As far as the W's in Chicago, I am not familiar with them personally, so I can't help you on that score.

I stayed at the W Chicago City Center (on West Adams) over a weekend a few years ago and can't say I'd recommend it. The hotel was fine but nothing special (for a W that is), and the room was small. But the main thing that I disliked was that the neighborhood around the hotel was totally dead on the weekend. It's definitely a business district and pretty much everything was closed all around. If you're going to be there over a weekend I'd think the Lake Shore location would be preferable, there's more going on in the immediate area.

Having said all that, EZEtoGRU is right, the bar in the Ws can be quite lively - for the heteros. The bar and lobby in the City Center W was quite a scene... my companion likened it to a "straight sex club." So people were definitely enjoying themselves, but it wasn't our scene.

And I agree SPG properties are great overall. I like Westin hotels in particular, the quality is pretty consistent no matter where you go and the service is usually fine (the exception being that grouch of a concierge in DC, which another board member here can corroborate!).

I wasn't impressed with CIty Center - its an old building which was repurposed as a hotel. As such many compromises were made. Lake Shore I believe was built to be the W LakeShore, but I haven't stayed at that one. I am not a big fan of the W's. In most cases style, form, takes precedence over function. Yeah its great that it looks nice, but I would like it to be both stylish and functional. I much prefer my shower water to go down the drain rather than into the bathroom or room itself as it did for years at the W Times Square - hopefully fixed as I haven't stayed there in 2 or 3 years. At the beginning the maids artfully aranged towel/bath mat to direct the water back into the shower, of course I didn't realize why it was done until I took a shower. And it wasn't just one room as I've stayed there at least 3 times in 3 different rooms and they all had the problem. Haven't stayed there in probably 3 years. W Westwood, you can hardley walk around the bed without turning sideways, and the closet was problematic. I generally go for a Westin or ALoft over the W. Westin rooms however are often on the small side.

I have an elite status with Starwood, as well as with Marriott and Hyatt (as you can imagine, I travel a lot). I would not recommend either W hotel in Chicago. The City Center is as others have said, a great pickup bar for heteros during the week, but it is dead at night and weekends as it is in the central business district. The W on Lakeshore is also very old and has been through many different "chains" and remodels. Both Westin Hotels are far better choices in terms of locations, especially the one on Michigan Avenue. Steven, if you are planning to "work" while you are in Chicago another alternative might be the Renaissance on Wacker Drive, which is a Marriott property, but I would still recommend the Westin on Michigan Avenue. It is a fine hotel, great service and some large rooms, so make sure you don't get one of the small ones. Enjoy !!!!

I agree with those who do not recommend either W in Chicago. The W City Center has, in fact, been a hotel for years and years and was not recently re-purposed. (I worked for a bank that financed a renovation in the early 1980's). The area is dead at night/on weekends plus you have the added benefit of the "L"...right outside of your window. The W on Michigan Ave dates from the '60's (maybe 50's) and I think was a Days Inn back in the day. It is pretty far removed from everything. As much as I love the Palmer House (old, historic on State Street) you are better off staying north of the river. The area is more lively than the Loop business district, which tends to be active until dusk. PM me if you have specific hotels or areas you would like feedback on.

I'm a loyal SPG member but can't comment on those two hotel.

However, I found the Westin River North to be quite comfortable.

However, of the places I've stayed in Chicago, I'd say the Renaissance on Wacker and State is my favorite and you could remain loyal to Marriott Rewards.

While I enjoy staying at fancy hotels, often being on a budget, I'm not able to. I was quite happy with the Hampton Inn in downtown Chicago. There are 2 within close proximity to one another. It seems to be a fairly central location and was within easy walking distance of of the Webber Grill where we had our successful Forum Dinner during IML and the GRABBYs.

Rex

Of the Starwood properties in the center of Chicago, I can't really recommend either of the W properties for the reasons given above. The one on Adams was converted from the old Midland hotel, rooms are small, it can be noisy, and the location is dead after working hours and on weekends. The one on LSD was a Holiday Inn before the W conversion, and many things before that. So, what you're getting is basically a tarted up HI. It actually isn't terribly easy to get to since all the streets sort of end there, and not very central despite it's location.

I really like the Westin River North, which was opened as the Hotel Nikko. Beautiful property and right on the river. The Sheraton on the river is also a surprisingly nice property.

Steven, have lots of fun in Chicago! I agree with the other posters that the Westin might be a better choice than Ws in Chicago. Some other hotels to consider (if SPG loyalty is not a factor), is the Sofitel, Sutton Place hotel, and also the InterContinental.

That 1959 Ford Custom sedan (What, he couldn't even afford a Custom 300 or a Fairlane?) has definitely seen better days! Norman should get a better ride than that. I suggest a 1959 Mercury Parklane or a 1959 Pontiac Bonneville Vista (four door hardtop) so he can go "wide-tracking"......

• 4 weeks later...
Hi Steven. I am a frequent guest at SPG properties. I feel the SPG frequent guest programme is better than Marriott Rewards or Hilton Honors in terms of the value of the points.

Thank you, EZEtoGRU. I'm only a newbie with SPG but I liked what I saw and experienced so far. Didn't use them in Chicago, but I'm with them in Minneapolis and will be again with SPG in Houston and New York.

Looking forward to my next stay with Starwood.

Steven,

Just to add a note, if you ever get to Sydney, I highly recommend the Westin in the downtown area. I was there last February for almost a week. I have also stayed at the Marriott in the city center, but the Westin was much nicer, friendlier staff (if that is possible) and because it was a slow time, they upgraded me to a suite with club access. Several very hot, friendly male staff there too.

Archived