Travel Attire

sam.fitzpatrick
This topic is 4832 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I realize that this question would be more appropriate for Judith Martin; however, I do not possess the patience to read the reply in Miss Manners' column.

Is there a tactful way to inform a fellow passenger that her attire is inappropriate for air travel? I am currently at the gate awaiting boarding of a flight across from a woman wearing a sports bra and cycling shorts. (I have already stared long enough to know that non-verbal communication isn't getting my point across.) We don't board for another 90 minutes, so it cannot be that she didn't have time after a workout to change into something more appropriate.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sam, I am laughing out loud right now thinking about the wild outfits I've seen on flights. Basketball shorts and flip-flops, running shorts and skimpy T-shirts, etc. Sadly, I don't think there's a tactful way for you to comment on your fellow passenger's attire. You can tactfully let someone know his fly is open or that his or her clothes are misbuttoned or that her skirt is caught in her panty hose. These are mistakes and can be rectified. There's no tactful way to say "Madam, only an idiot and a boor would wear that costume on a commercial flight."

Safe travels.

Guest BrandonWilliams

Sam,

Just blame Roy Cohn! Personally, I generally wear a blazer when traveling. It's amazing the level of "service" one receives when you take time to present yourself in a respectable manner. As long as your friend is without screaming children, I'd gladly deal with her athletic attire.

I generally wear a blazer when traveling. It's amazing the level of "service" one receives when you take time to present yourself in a respectable manner.

Brandon,

I generally wear casual business attire when traveling as well. In your case, the blazer may help in receiving a higher level of service. However, my guess is that you get exceptional service due to the fact that you're such a damned hottie! LOL ;)

When I started teaching in a public high school in the mid-60’s schools had dress standards for both teachers and students. The dress standards for teachers went first soon to be followed by those for students. By the time I retired in 2002 it was frequently difficult to differentiate between the young teachers and the students. Toward the end of my teaching career teachers were constantly told, by local and district administrators that dress standards, absenteeism, and tardiness were not issues with which the schools should be concerned, these were matters for parents. It is my guess that the woman is totally oblivious to the fact that here dress is traditionally inappropriate.

"What's wrong with my cyclist shorts, Sam ... ?"[/color]:)

I dunno Steven, I think I'd prefer didn't put my purchases on display! Some things I purchase are kept in plain brown wrappers for a reason! On the other hand, if you had that on under casual business attire, I'd gladly strip you down in the lavatory so we can join the Mile High Club.

fine..i can take a hint

fine. Fine! I can take a hint..it's okay. I'll stop wearing SPEEDOs when I fly from now on.

gcursor

Brandon,

I generally wear casual business attire when traveling as well. In your case, the blazer may help in receiving a higher level of service. However, my guess is that you get exceptional service due to the fact that you're such a damned hottie! LOL ;)

I'm not sure why it concerns you what other people are wearing. How does it effect your travel experience? It's one thing if a person is dirty or smelly, but if they're simply inappropriately dressed, how does it change you're life? This seems a lot like saying that gay marriage will harm heterosexual marriages. How is a heterosexual marriage changed when a gay couple down the streets gets married?

Sam -- I'm afraid I'd have to agree that one someone wears is, by and large, their own hot mess. And there are I'm sure a hell of a lot worse ways she could be dressed as the following photos could suggest:

http://media.peopleofwalmart.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/11/573.jpg

http://media.peopleofwalmart.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/05/1379.jpg

http://media.peopleofwalmart.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/04/1221.jpg

and the t-shirt I so desperately want to wear:

http://media.peopleofwalmart.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/04/1273.jpg

Just remember one of the most important rules of the universe and what she's wearing won't bother you: the First Corollary to Murphy's Law: No situation is so bad that it can't be made just a little bit worse.

I'm not sure there is such a thing as "appropriate dress" for air travel these days, especially since the TSA makes you remove belts, shoes, coats, jackets, sweaters, etc., before you go through security, and can feel around inside your underwear. My outfits, especially for long flights, have become increasingly casual, so that I now sometimes wear t-shirts, sweatpants and mocassins on the plane. I think people should be able to wear whaever is legal and makes them feel comfortable in what is becoming an increasingly unpleasant travel experience.

Hi BaronArtz -- of course it's from POW. One of the funniest sites on the whole web. Certainly more hysterical than comedy sites like Funny or Die. Because it's real life. If you want to call it living. And just for shits and grins, here's a few more treasures. Proof, Sam, that a sports bra and cycling shorts would actually be considered overdressed compared to these winners:

http://media.peopleofwalmart.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/1543TX.jpg

http://media.peopleofwalmart.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/03/1162.jpg

http://media.peopleofwalmart.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/1521.jpg

http://media.peopleofwalmart.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/04/1191.jpg

See, Sam. It can ALWAYS be worse. ALWAYS.

And BaronArtz -- sorry I didn't get to meet you last night at the show that Tim put together. It was an amazing lineup of guys and a great time was had by all -- including the guys. I think it was a great success and am planning on coming back in the future so hopefully I'll get to meet you at one of those shows.

I have to travel frequently by air - and have been doing it for some 40+ years.

In the past, it seemed we all dressed very nicely -- even on amazingly LONG flights. I usually dressed in slacks, neat shirt and blazer (usually left the tie in my carry and put it on before landing).

About 20 years ago (1990) I noticed some big changes -- most travelers definately went very casual. I expected this on flights to FL or CA or even more to Las Vegas, but was a bit surprised when it became normal even on Transatlantic flights and European flights too -- and I have to admit, I enjoyed wearing more jeans and less dress pants, and being really comfortable (but again, always neat). I envied guys who could really dress even more casually, and did.

As for the female travelers, I can understand the uneasiness of Sam's predicament (let's admit it guys, when you fly alone, you live in fear and dread --- and lustful hope) that you will not sit next to those in the Walmart photos, and yes, the guy with the wife-beater muscle shirt and those bike pants, if he wanted to sit with me, I'd be in HEAVEN. That's our predicament.)

I recently had two absolutely full flights to and from the midwest to NY and was more concerned with just getting on the flight and getting off. Flight out had a family from hell all around me. Flight back, a mother and her very striking teen son sat next to me -- I kept my nose in a book on both flights...

Back to topic, I have decided now, after the most recent experiences of the TSA striptease at security, I will now stock up on very comfortable cargo pants with a rope tie instead of belt, very comfortable slip on loafers, and other appropriate attire.

Archived