Travel Attire

sam.fitzpatrick
This topic is 4838 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I dunno Steven, I think I'd prefer didn't put my purchases on display! Some things I purchase are kept in plain brown wrappers for a reason!

ISC, my tongue-in-cheek post with that pic was intended to poke and provoke. I would never even remotely imagine myself wearing cyclist shorts on a plane. Contrarily I've been on a plane in a business suit and tie once and found it utmost uncomfortable. I don't think I've got better service. Nowadays I've opted for casual attire - something that's simple and comfortable.

Thanks all for the great dialogue while I was flying home today. I agree that another person's attire should not affect me personally and I should and can ignore it. However, as an uncle with nieces, do I want them to see such attire in a public place and think that it is appropriate for them?

As to dressing comfortably - I'm all for it. I personally choose to never where shorts on flights as I usually get cold in air; however, jeans and a polo shirt are frequent attire. However, I have had occasional one-day trips (fly to NYC or Chicago in the a.m. and return home that evening) for a meeting that requires suit and tie. Since those flights are about 1 hour, it's not too bad. However, I'm not sure I would be comfortable on a longer flight.

Sam - excellent point for those of us who travel to and from meetings, but lately, as it is becoming more and more common to be stuck more on the ground than in the air, I have had to re-think my own wardrobe choices for flights, as I usually feel a bit "worn" after doing the TSA strip down after checking in; then getting dressed again, then going to the gate (spending 15-25 minutes getting coffee, water for the flights, maybe a shoe-shine; then SITTING, and SITTING intermanably near the gate with people coughing and hacking all around me -- I usually sit near some gate that has no flight for a while), boarding, being banged around by people who bring way too big luggage and back packls on the flight and are oblivious to everyone else as they bump and push their luggage down the aisle (and I sit in aisle seats, so get the brunt of bing butted in the head by their luggage and often even their rude side flabs of flesh)...

If I can, I carry my suit in a carry-one bag, stow it, and then make a quick change once I arrive and before I leave the airport. Clothes look clean and pressed; I get a chance to wash my face etc... after the flight and also look fresh.

I fly all the time, especially to Europe and Asia and throughout North and South America. I used to wear business suits but stopped that at least ten years ago. The hottest guys I see seem often to wear designer shirts, jeans and a sports jacket with casual shoes, even dock siders. I believe this is partly in response to security measures - shoes come off and on easily, yet they still look great. This is pretty much what I wear too. I rarely see people dressed inappropriately. What I am amazed at is how many truly hot looking guys there are who fly - and I can't ask for more than that!

Happyguy... I have the same experience and have noticed a significant difference in the guys who travel internationally. Most of them now are very fit and while they are usually in casual clothes during the flight, they often change into a collared shirt, sometime tie, with a blazer before landing. This is especially true in first class and business class on flights to Europe and Asia. On a recent flight back from Australia in FC, the guy across the aisle from me came on board in a suit and tie. Before we took off, he had changed into some rather form fitting casual slacks, a form fitting white Tshirt and a loose fitting sweater. I was in heat the whole flight. In years past, I remember seeing a lot more older out of shape men who wore suits that were very rumpled by the time we arrived and much less concern about how they looked. Viva la difference! One of the few things that now make long flights interesting!!!!!

I realize that this question would be more appropriate for Judith Martin; however, I do not possess the patience to read the reply in Miss Manners' column.

Is there a tactful way to inform a fellow passenger that her attire is inappropriate for air travel? I am currently at the gate awaiting boarding of a flight across from a woman wearing a sports bra and cycling shorts. (I have already stared long enough to know that non-verbal communication isn't getting my point across.) We don't board for another 90 minutes, so it cannot be that she didn't have time after a workout to change into something more appropriate.

In this light there was a show on TLC yesterday "What not to wear" ... :cool:

Am I the only one who actually finds a suit and tie comfortable? Seriously. Especially when traveling.

Lots of pockets means a place to stick the boarding passes, cell phone, intinerary, bagage claim checks etc.

A suit is also quite versatile (like me!). If the plane is warm I can pull off the jacket, but often I find flights too cold so put it on.

Or take it off and drape it over my head if I need to sleep and there are too many reading lights on.

A neck tie is often useful for you never know who or what might need to be, ah, secured in case of turbulence

or other disturbance. Besides a suit just looks silly without a necktie.

But as far as other passengers? To each hiw own and the more bizarre or "inappropiate" the better. Just consider it entertainment.

Though I guess I do draw the line at sweat pants. One reason I avoid bigbox stores.

A few years back when I did a lot of airline traveling on a buddy pass with an airline employee, the airline required the employee (and buddy) to wear a coat and tie + "decent" shoes IF wishing to go first class. When we boarded the 747-400 headed for OZ land or NZ we often were the only passengers so attired. Once the door closed, my friend immediately took off his tie and coat. Once I had gone to the "trouble" of putting them on, I didn't much care although I generally gave my coat to the FA.

Once, while in NZ, I managed to fall while walking about on a small mountain and break my ankle. No one, to include me, thought it was broken but only a bad sprain. I walked to the car and our host provided cold, and later, hot packs for me but I really didn't get any better. A few days later, it was time to go home and when we got to the airport my friend asked me if I could put on some "better" shoes so we could go first. I was in a lot of pain but managed to hobble up to the gate desk with "decent" shoes on my feet and we got on first. When I really got home, I went to see my orthopod who immediately put me into a walking cast which relieved my pain, also immediately. Funny the things we do for "society" or, in other words, to get along. :)

Best regards,

KMEM

True, aside from momentary unpleasantness/mild horror caused by the sight of a woman in bike shorts and a sports bra, what someone else wears doesn't affect me in the slightest. For all I know, people look at my attire from time to time with mild horror. But I guess what bothers me about people who dress like that is my assumptions about the person's self-esteem. One of my cousins is adamant about "being comfortable," which to her usually means outfits that make her look like a homeless person. One doesn't have to know my cousin for long to see that she has abysmal self-esteem, and her clothing choices reflect that. What's in comes out. What hurts is not my cousin's (lack of) aesthetics but knowing that she dresses like sh*t because she believes she's sh*t. Fair or not, I can't help but make similar assumptions about others who dress so poorly in public. Maybe the sports bra/bike shorts woman is brimming with self-confidence and feelings of self-worth that Olympic gold medalists would envy. Or not.

I never understood why people thought that dressing smart and dressing comfortably were mutually exclusive. For everything but going to the gym, I almost always wear loose (but still fitting) khakis, a collared shirt (wrinkle-resistant cotton or microfiber, no ironing!), and casual leather shoes (no sneakers). Nothing binds, pinches, or restrains. My outfits are every bit as comfortable as sweats and a t-shirt. And trust me, you don't want to see me in sweats :D

True, aside from momentary unpleasantness/mild horror caused by the sight of a woman in bike shorts and a sports bra, what someone else wears doesn't affect me in the slightest. For all I know, people look at my attire from time to time with mild horror. But I guess what bothers me about people who dress like that is my assumptions about the person's self-esteem. One of my cousins is adamant about "being comfortable," which to her usually means outfits that make her look like a homeless person. One doesn't have to know my cousin for long to see that she has abysmal self-esteem, and her clothing choices reflect that. What's in comes out. What hurts is not my cousin's (lack of) aesthetics but knowing that she dresses like sh*t because she believes she's sh*t. Fair or not, I can't help but make similar assumptions about others who dress so poorly in public. Maybe the sports bra/bike shorts woman is brimming with self-confidence and feelings of self-worth that Olympic gold medalists would envy. Or not.

I never understood why people thought that dressing smart and dressing comfortably were mutually exclusive. For everything but going to the gym, I almost always wear loose (but still fitting) khakis, a collared shirt (wrinkle-resistant cotton or microfiber, no ironing!), and casual leather shoes (no sneakers). Nothing binds, pinches, or restrains. My outfits are every bit as comfortable as sweats and a t-shirt. And trust me, you don't want to see me in sweats :D

Am I the only one who actually finds a suit and tie comfortable? Seriously.

You're not alone, Raul. I wear a suit to work every day, and have done so for over thirty years (I figure about 7,000 days so far). I never understood why some people seem so put out when they have to wear one. (I also don't get the loosened tie or the suit without a tie, but that's another discussion.)

The only time it bothers me to wear a suit is when I'm on an airplane. If I'm not in first or business, there's no convenient place to put my coat, and the pants (and the coat as well if I leave it on) get terribly wrinkled after a few hours in an airplane seat. Basically, if I wear a suit on a plane I have to get it drycleaned before I can wear it again. I'd much rather bring some casual clothes to wear on the plane and let my suits make the trip in my luggage.

I am old enough to remember flying when it was an event (my first transcontinental jet flight was in 1962- I was a child). While I no longer wear a jacket and tie, I still dress in nice casual attire. Usually dark gabardine slacks, a knit shirt that won't wrinkle, and a sweater (in case the cabin is cold) dark colors don't show spills. I always wear slip on shoes, and put my belt, watch, and phone in my carry on. I put all my change and cash, and keys in a ziploc (also in the carry on). I usually get through security with no problems and re-assemble myself on the other side.

On a KLM flight from LA to Amsterdam, I was flying coach and dreading it (I am 6'3") when I arrived at check in I asked if I could get a bulkhead or exit row. The agent looked at me and said "No but I can put you in Business if you like" I thanked her, and she said "you are dressed nicely- if you were wearing jeans I couldn't do it". A few years later on a flight from Paris to LA there was a couple ahead of me screaming that they did not have seats together, they were being really unpleasant. I got to the desk and told the agent I would be happy to let them move me if it would help them seat the couple together. He thanked me. I was waiting for the flight and they called my name and asked me to come to gate. Where they exchanged my boarding pass for one in First Class. Dress nicely, and more important Be nice, and from time to time you may be rewarded.

Airline passangers have become the scum of the earth. Poorly dressed, unpleasant attitude, smell bad, fat, and the list goes on and on. Maybe the sections should not be by first class, business class and coach - but by "some class" and "no class". Then those of us that make the effort would all sit up front and the 90% who don't give a crap would sit together! Perhaps we could then meet some new friends.

On a KLM flight from LA to Amsterdam, I was flying coach and dreading it (I am 6'3") when I arrived at check in I asked if I could get a bulkhead or exit row. The agent looked at me and said "No but I can put you in Business if you like" I thanked her, and she said "you are dressed nicely- if you were wearing jeans I couldn't do it".

That reminds me of having a five-hour,red eye flight home after a week of business meetings. I was still in my suit and seated a few rows into the coach section. Just before take off, one of the flight attendants came back and indicated that there was an empty seat in first class and offered it to me. Appropriate attire has its benefits.

That reminds me of having a five-hour,red eye flight home after a week of business meetings. I was still in my suit and seated a few rows into the coach section. Just before take off, one of the flight attendants came back and indicated that there was an empty seat in first class and offered it to me. Appropriate attire has its benefits.

I've experienced that in the past as well, unfortunatly today the fights are so over sold and the flight attendants so cranky that they seldom offer to upgrade you. I've even seen people kicked out of open exit row seats on Continental because they had not paid the upgrade fee! Great marketing, no?

I am certainly more than willing to agree with your assessment of your friend but doesn't SW REQUIRE some large folks to buy two seats?

Apropos almost nothing, it seems that I read that Pablo Casals used to always buy two First tickets, one for him and one for his cello. :)

Best regards,

KMEM

I've experienced that in the past as well, unfortunatly today the fights are so over sold and the flight attendants so cranky that they seldom offer to upgrade you. I've even seen people kicked out of open exit row seats on Continental because they had not paid the upgrade fee! Great marketing, no?

Well, to be fair, the airlines have moved to a Wal-Mart approach to marketing. First, the show a really low-ball price to get you interested and then they build the add-ons - seating position - i.e. aisle, exit row, front of coach section; checked luggage fees; food for sale on-board; and on and on. There was a time when you paid $500 for an airline ticket and got a real cooked on-board meal and could check 3 bags. But, alas, we demanded lower prices and got the a la carte menu of pricing.

Want to sit in the roomier exit aisle, PAY THE FUCKING PRICE, otherwise you're stealing something of value from the airline. It doesn't make sense, but it makes CENTS!

Archived