Friday Funnies

jackhammer91406

• Replies 8.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 hours ago, mike carey said:

Must be southern hemisphere.

Those Aussies--trying to kill unsuspecting Yanks!😄 The closest I ever came to getting run over was actually in Australia (no sidewalk reminders), and a friend actually yanked me back as I nearly walked in front of a car. London, England has quite a few of those "Look Right" signs on the road to help absent-minded tourists. I haven't seen those signs in other cities to my recollection. 

9 hours ago, Unicorn said:

Those Aussies--trying to kill unsuspecting Yanks!😄 The closest I ever came to getting run over was actually in Australia (no sidewalk reminders), and a friend actually yanked me back as I nearly walked in front of a car. London, England has quite a few of those "Look Right" signs on the road to help absent-minded tourists. I haven't seen those signs in other cities to my recollection. 

The risk to people not used to the way traffic runs is more front of mind in the UK with all those Europeans, here less so. You see them here occasionally, most often if the traffic will come from an unexpected direction, one way roads, divided roads with a wide central reservation. There's enough of the signs on the road that it's not a surprise to see them here.

On 6/5/2023 at 4:27 PM, mike carey said:

Why would anyone want to do that?

It was a joke. The first city I visited in the UK was Edinburgh. I was looking to cross Princes Street near the Scott Monument, and to make sure it was safe to cross, I looked to my left, as I would back home. All clear.

Then, just before stepping into the street, I glanced to the right and saw what must have been half of Scotland motoring toward me. Ahh yes, said I to myself, they do it on the left here!

Seeing the painted markings reminded me of someone's criticism of a stupid plan for a government program as being about as smart as the UK making a gradual transition from left side driving to right side driving, implemented by having all those with last names beginning with A thru H switching to the right on Monday, and all others transitioning the following Monday. Clearly a recipe for chaos, and the painted markings reminded me of the observation.

This is sometimes how my mind works. It isn't always pretty.🙄

Oz

do cars still pass each other with 2 wheels off the road on the crystal highway? 

the intersections with no stop signs amazed me. wouldn't do in the US. 

turning's a B****  from the left lane when your brains set to right lane.  

I'm in London Friday, good reminder to look right. 

Edited by tassojunior

4 hours ago, tassojunior said:

the intersections with no stop signs amazed me. wouldn't do in the US. 

turning's a B****  from the left lane when your brains set to right lane.

The rule was that everyone gave way to the right, and through traffic had right of way over traffic turning across them. So there was a rule to prescribe which vehicle has right of way whenever two vehicles met at an intersection. Not many of those intersections these days, usually one cross-street is given precedence and the other will have give way or stop signs. I can't quite get my head around US four way stop signs because stop signs here mean stop and give way to other traffic (who's there first makes no difference). Once you get your head around it, it's no more complicated than our no-stop-signs intersections.

Yes, it is when your brain is set the other way as well.